ATC altitude vs Flight Plan altitude

Exactly the same happens to me .

Yes i have the same issues as mentioned above. I set my flight plan in MSFS and used the NAVLOG option to change my cruise altitude from the default 32000ft to 20000ft. Just as i was approaching FL200 ATC asks me to climb to FL250. As soon as I got to it I’m then asked to started descending.

I don’t tend to find this issue happens often, if at all, in the A320 though. It only seems to occur for me when flying ‘generic’ planes like the Diamonds or TBM9.

It does really need fixing though because the ATC is useless at managing plans and especially approaches. Like other posters I’ve had so many flights where the descent is approved far too late and I nosedive in. Disappointingly there isn’t a mention of it in the development update backlogs. Just a comment about ATC phraseology. Surely this issue is more important to the immersion of the SIM??

1 Like

Talking about it here is not making to solve this problem in the near future.
Everybody has to submit this problem to Asobo then there is a chance that it will be fixed.
https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

I agree ATC needs fixing but it is not that bad if you know how to manage it. I’ve had many, many successful flights with ATC. I always use ATC when flying MSFS.

1 Like

I wouldn’t put pressure on Asobo to fix things like this because, as happens all too often after an update, something else breaks! I generally have good results with ATC but there are times that I simply ignore stupid requests like climbing higher than a plane is capable or clearing to 5000’ then told to go to 8000’ 10 seconds afterwards.
I mainly fly the A320 with the FBW mod or, for shorter flights, the TBM with its mod.
A great example is the transition altitude of the entire sim being 18000’. This is the altitude where we set our barometer to standard 29.92 or 1013. Here in Australia, the transition altitude is 10000’. Even though setting the baro to standard at 10000’ in this country, the sim goes by 18000’ everywhere. I doubt that this can be “fixed” easily. I just have to accept it and move on.

Regardless of what country we’re in, ATC would see us at 17,700’ if the barometer is set low enough and they asked us to climb and maintain 18000’. In that case they will eventually tell us to expedite our climb to 18000’. The remedy is hit “B” as soon as our aircraft reaches 18000’ regardless of the country we’re in. This is the reason (if you have IA traffic on) you will hear ATC telling AI traffic that they’re 300’ from their assigned altitudes. I had to turn AI off to stop hearing the incessant yelling by ATC when the baro isn’t standard - in real life, it rarely is steady at 29.92/1013

Lately whenever I fly IFR, I examine the STAR and APPROACH plates noting the crossing altitudes for the waypoints and fixes. Before the first waypoint, I request a lower altitude from ATC which they approve. This is repeated for all the waypoints and fixes. ATC never zooms me to a ridiculous flight level. Occasionally they will tell me to descend to the crossing altitude at the next fix before I can request it.

You use measures that cover up the problem, but the problem is still there.
Asobo has to fix it, then we can fly without extra measures.

1 Like

I’m VERY new to the flight planning and tower stuff, but I set up a flight in the Cessna 175(?), and looking at the log book it had me going to 20,000 feet. I was able to lower the max altitude there in the Log Book, but during the flight, the towers keep nagging me to climb higher than 10! (17000!!) I am still in that situation, the game is saved. I’ll find out eventually if I get to land…

On the World Map, open the Nav Log page. Set your Cruising Altitude to something reasonable like 7,000 ft. ATC should keep you at or below 7,000 unless there are mountains or something else in the way.

Topic has been moved to #community:general-discussion-feedback

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.