ATC ignores custom callsign when spawning in mid-air

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Which aircraft are you using that experiences this issue?

Tested with Bonanza G36, Cessna 172 G1000, and Savage Cub. Could be more, but after three aircraft, I stopped testing.

Brief description of the issue:

Would really like someone else to verify that this is happening with them. Please see the detailed steps.

When spawning in mid-air, ATC calls you by the generic callsign ASXG or ASXGS even if you have chosen to customize your callsign.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

This is a very boring video. Just look at the beginning frame and notice that I have a custom tail number and callsign in there. Then skip all the way to the end and notice that the pilot is calling themselves “Savage ASXGS” instead of the custom callsign I gave it in the first frame (note: I deliberately turned the engine sound down to 0 to make it easier to hear):

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

1. Go to the World Map. Choose one of the three aircraft I mentioned above (Bonanza G36, Cessna 172 G1000, and Savage Cub – again, might happen with all aircraft, but this is what I tried it on).
  2. Choose a custom tail number and callsign.
  3. Start a flight in mid-air. (This bug does not surface when spawning at an airport. I only observed it while spawning in mid-air.)
  4. Open the ATC window and request flight following or make some other request of ATC.

Expected result:
The pilot addresses themselves using the custom callsign.

Observed result:
The pilot addresses themselves using the callsign “ASXG” (for the Cessna 172 G1000 and Baron G36) or “ASXGS” (for the Savage Cub). See video, above.

PC specs and peripheral set up:

N/A

Are you using DX11 or DX12?

DX12

Are you using DLSS?

No

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute to this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

Are you using DLSS?

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Personally never had this happen but I never spawn in mid-air anyway. However this is probably more than just a bug, it’s a shortcoming in the whole ATC setup which is in dire need of revamping, as many threads on ATC show. Hopefully the planned total revamp will also address this issue - but no indication yet as to when…

Drive where you installed MSFS

X:\Users"Your User Name"\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Official\OneStore\ pick the folder of the airplane you want

Open the aircraft.cfg file with Notepad

scroll down to atc_id = and make it what ever you want.

example

[FLTSIM.0]
title = “Cessna Skyhawk G1000 Asobo” ; Variation name
model = “” ; model folder
panel = “” ; panel folder
sound = “” ; sound folder
texture = “” ; texture folder
kb_checklists = “Cessna172SP_check” ; Procedures/Checklist sibling file name
kb_reference = “Cessna172SP_ref” ; Reference information sibling file name
description = “TT:AIRCRAFT.DESCRIPTION” ; Variation description.
wip_indicator = 0 ; know if the variation is good to go or still WIP : -1=Disabled, 0=Rough, 1=1st Pass, 2=Finished
ui_manufacturer = “TT:AIRCRAFT.UI_MANUFACTURER” ; e.g. Boeing, Cessna
ui_type = “TT:AIRCRAFT.UI_MODEL” ; e.g. 747-400, 172
ui_variation = “TT:AIRCRAFT.LIVERY.DEFAULT” ; e.g. World Air, IFR Panel
ui_typerole = “Single Engine Prop” ; e.g. Single Engine Prop, Twin Engine Prop, Rotorcraft, etc
ui_createdby = “Asobo Studio” ; e.g. Asobo Studio, Microsoft, FSAddonCompany, etc
ui_thumbnailfile = “” ; app relative path to ThumbNail image file
ui_certified_ceiling = 14000 ; service ceiling / max certified operating altitude (ft)
ui_max_range = 640 ; max distance the aircraft can fly between take-off and landing in (NM)
ui_autonomy = 5 ; max duration the aircraft can fly between take-off and landing in (Hrs)
ui_fuel_burn_rate = 54 ; average fuel consumption per hour (lbs/hr) - reminder: fuel density is ~6.7lbs per US gallon
atc_id = “N600CB” ; tail number
atc_id_enable = 1 ; enable tail number
atc_airline = “Angel Flight” ; airline name
atc_flight_number = “9834” ; flight number
atc_heavy = 0 ; heavy?
atc_parking_types = “RAMP” ; “ANY” / “RAMP” / “CARGO” / “MIL_CARGO” / “MIL_COMBAT” / “GATE” / “DOCK”
atc_parking_codes = “” ; Comma separated and may be as small as one character each
atc_id_color = “” ; color for the tail number : i.e. “#ffff00ff”
atc_id_font = “” ; font for the tail number
isAirTraffic = 0 ; Is the plane usable for air traffic
isUserSelectable = 1 ; Is the plane selectable by the user

Thank you, @Terrylawdinn and @meh1951, but I’m hoping someone could test this on their machine and see if this is a bug.

It’s a bug that they didn’t give us a better way to change the custom callsign and It’s also a bug if you don’t change your aircraft.cfg file

I frequently start and end flights in the air with various aircraft, including the ones you mentioned, to test specific issues, and I’ve never had ATC call me anything but my custom call sign/N-number, nor had my pilot use anything but the custom name I’ve set up. Well not out loud anyway…they might be saying it under their breath where I can’t hear! :grinning:
But I’ve never seen this issue while conducting numerous flights I’ve started in the air.
Regards

I haven’t had this happen until yesterday either. That’s why I’m looking for someone to try it in this version of the beta and see what happens.

1 Like

Yea, it’s problems that show up for some folks like this that worry me! I’m running the latest beta version also…Until tomorrow!!
I’ll look some more, but no idea what may be causing it for you. I’ve tried several other planes too, with the same result. Maybe someone else will show up with the same issue and you can hopefully figure out what’s causing it.
Regards

Thank you! Have you tried this in the last 24 hours?

1 Like

I tried it right after reading your post, so in the last couple of hours.
Regards

Uggh. Okay, thanks!

1 Like

fwiw I have had this randomly happen over the last 3 years- but enough times for me to remember seeing it. A re-log of exactly the same flight has usually fixed it in the past. (I am not in beta and I have had this happen both on the ground and in the air, with default sim aircraft and 3rd party aircraft.)

I have never been able to replicate the exact same issue as re-starting the flight from the main menu usually fixed it for me.

1 Like

Aw man. That’s like the “airborne” bug. Unfortunately, in this case, no matter how many times I redid the flight, it was the same problem.

Okay, just tried it with Bonanza in north New Zealand. Spawned in flight, requested an IFR pickup and my personal callsign used by both “me” and ATC.

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

yes

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

dx11

Are you using DLSS?

no

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video: