ATC wants me to go to higher altitude than requested

My initial altitude was FL220. I requested 16000ft. The request was approved by ATC: “Speedbrake 2, climb to 16000 ft”. But this was immediately followed by "Speedbrake 22, climb to FL180.

Things get even funnier. ATC is losing his mind that I’m staying on 16000ft:

And it’s going exactly as expected:

So the bug is, when requesting a lower altitude, while still under the cruise altitude, ATC first wants you to climb to the initial assigned cruise altitude before allowing the newly requested altitude.

This is a familiar problem which should have been solved last year.
Although the ATC had an update this inconsistencies are still present and annoying.

Almost every approach I’m cleared to decent to a normal altitude (4000ft) but when I’m near the airport I get the call to increase my altitude to ridiculous heights (14000ft). I can only share your worries and add my vote for a solution. Unless of course there is a solution for this problem.

2 Likes

There really should be an “unable” response. As requested and knowing better I climbed into known icing conditions in my A36. When ice overtook the windows and started on the airframe I requested lower and got it. The next 200 miles “please expedite your climb to …”

1 Like

Its currently doing that to me. I’m flying the 172 classic from KMSL to KEUF at 6,000ft. It keeps telling me to climb to and maintain FL250. I canceled my IFR flight plan.

When you built your flight plan, did you specify the cruise altitude in the nav log?

The issue is that you request a lower altitude and that request is approved. But despite that, the old altitude is kept in ‘memory’ by ATC and they will keep asking you to climb to the initial cruise altitude.

Best guess is, you chose high IFR routes in the FP menu, where some can only be used from a specific altitude, which ATC wants you to climb to. Can be funny in a 152 to climb to FL 220. Check your charts at Min Alt for the chosen airway or use low IFR routes instead.

I get this all the time.
I have selected a low alt IFR
I have input my cruise altitude

Eventually during my flight I will be instructed to climb and maintain an altitude much higher than any in my flight plan. For comedy value this often includes altitudes which my aircraft is not capable of.
(for example 24000ft in an X Cub)

I had a horrible flight the other day in the 208 where ATC was directing me to climb and descend altitudes WITHOUT stopping. I had to finally cancel the IFR. I felt bad for all the other players that had to hear that nonsense.

Other players don’t hear your atc

In this sim, for now, you have to know when to comply with ATC, and when not to.

1 Like

I have the same Issue: When you fly a direct to the ils APP then this happens:

This is really frustrating that on an IFR flight ATC gives bad altitudes! I’m often brought in several thousand feet above where I should be in preparation for landing.

What I have started doing is filing a flight plan and cancelling it as soon as I take off. I then bring up the flight plan from the FMS on my seconds screen and manually follow altitudes from there.

A little off topic, but I have also noticed that the ILS often won’t pick up even when you are where you are suppose to be as far as altitude and frequency and FMS set to NAV1.

Hopefully these problems will be fixed in Sim 3 update coming out, I think March 8th.

I do love the Sim and have been flying it since the very first Sub-Logic version. But it does get frustrating when after hour(s) of flying the ATC or ILS fails you.

Failed me today in Innsbruck and San Diego on two separate flights.

The scenery is beautiful, but ATC and IFR really need to be fixed.

I don’t think it matters and I think this bug happens in all planes, but I normally fly the Longitude. I don’t really think that it’s an airplane related bugs and it affects all planes flying IFR.

It is a big IFR bug!

1 Like

Do you set the approach in the flight plan (before the flight starts)? I always do that and I have almost never had an issue with being too high. If I were, it sometimes was caused by me descending too slowly or in other rare cases, by the built-in ATC. But that happened maybe 1 out of 100 times

When the ILS doesn’t capture, did you notice if the ILS frequency had been entered into the nav radio automatically?

Sometimes I select the approach and sometimes a lust select automatic and let ATC handle it.

I flew the same LSZH (Zurich) tp LOWI (Innsbruck) and it routed me somewhat slightly different.

On this flight I selected rwy 26 and all went fine. Yesterday the airport was packed, this morning it was empty. I was the only one there. Maybe the confusion is based on the route or number of planes flying the same approach.

1 Like

The last time is occurred, I think I selected it from the FMS airport database and directly told it to put it on NAV1. When close to the airport I switched from FMS to NAV1 to pick up the localizer, but it didn’t.

I verified the code on a Jeppesen approach chart and they match.

Was at right altitude and had the airport in sight. Maybe the wrong frequency is set on the at airport.

I will try the same flight agin and see what happens. I think the flight was Yuma to San Diego.

Was the localizer there, and the A/P wouldn’t connect to it,
or did it just not show up?

There is a sim “issue”, where in certain cases you do need to know the ILS frequency, and manually enter it.