ATC with very strange and stupid order? 737 not above 165knots at 32000 feet during flight

I am on my fligth to Punta Raisi at flight level 320 with the PMDG 737 while the ATC asked me to reduce my speed to … 165 knots!!! LOL! Is that a joke?

2023-10-03_175240

You can see in the screenshot.

:grin: :laughing: :sweat_smile: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :joy: :grinning: :neutral_face: :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :thinking: :anguished: :open_mouth: :cry: :sob:
Would be funny if it wasn’t true!

I tried to start a flight in the A310 today without ATC for this very reason. The computer crashed. Conspiracy? :wink:

1 Like

More or less. Luckily he stopped although I did not followed him. But imagine he asks you a dozen of times to keep speed not above 165 knots.

I was hoping SU13 would improve ATC, instead, it made it worse. I get more wonky directives and lose voices more that before the update. Pretty disappointing.

Just flew LFBO - LOWI in the PMDG 736 (interesting approach) and ATC stopped talking to me at Bordeaux center, probably not a bad thing on reflection…

2 Likes

Oh, yes. The ATC is utterly broken after SU13 :confused:

lol exactly why I switched off ATC voice after the update. And unchecked ATC panel from the toolbar.

I have had ATC ask me to expidite to 21kft in a C172

2 Likes

Similar, flying a night IFR plan, just under 100nm long in a Bonanza G36, I was instructed to climb to 21,000ft.

1 Like

I also love that you often simply cannot contact airports anymore after cancelling an IFR plan midflight. You can select the airport in the ATC window, but no options show up.

I’ve found a couple more: flight following gets randomly cancelled, centres don’t hand you off to one another when on flight following, option to cancel flight following may disappear without reason, also after the ground controller ordered me to taxi and hold short, the tower didn’t know about that (no takeoff request was available).

This might explain why Asobo said they were going to work on ATC with the upcoming sim updates.

As a pilot who flies primarily GA, I find it irritating when ATC tells me to make left traffic for a runway that is right traffic only. In their defense, the infos for this are in very small print in the Chart Supplement. Fortunately ATC doesn’t seem to care if I take right traffic anyway, and my pattern mechanics are a thing of beauty :smiley:

Sometimes, ATC is tolerable, but lately (perhaps with the upgrade), it’s mostly useless. There ought to be a toggle to tell her to stop nagging me to climb and maintain an 7000 ft every 30 seconds when I’m already on final, established on the localizer and configured for landing.

Also, I stopped getting ground instructions after exiting the runway on landing. I used to be able to request taxi to parking or the gate, lately it’s just Ground Services and then no options. VATSIM is looking better every day.

Also the altitude indications on an IFR flight are annoying. Every few minutes ATC asks for a different altitude. Higher, then lower , then higher again etc. And at the end you should descend very fast from 20000ft or way higher to land. Not really realistic and practical. That’s why I’m increasingly abandoning ATC.

The traffic pattern direction in the chart supplement refers to the time outside of the tower hours of operation. When the tower is operating they have full authority over the runways and traffic patterns and assign whatever they see the best. So this is not actually a problem of the sim. What I see as a problem is when the ATC in MSFS occasionally orders me to enter the pattern on the opposite side of the runway when the airspace is clear.