ATC worsen terribly with SU12 -

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

Yes

Brief description of the issue:

ATC Requesting altitudes changes none of the numbers matches what the ATC request is (i.e. selecting a request of 6000ft from the options the “Pilot” asks for a -3000ft. Also assign levels are random, first ask to descend to 11000ft then 16000ft, noting it is not even using FL (it does correctly with AI).

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

See above

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Just fly and you get this issue when IFR

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

Latest update via steam

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Yep… Why is ATC bonklers??? Why am I instructed to go 13k above my assigned altitude AND 4k above airplane ceiling???
Flying TBM 930 from Sarasota FL to Miami.
Climb and Maintain FL340.
But I requested FL210.

If the flight plan cruise altitude is 34,000 ft, ATC will instruct you to climb to FL340 because they figure you know what you are doing when you created the flight plan. Next time specify a lower cruise altitude.

1 Like

Hi all, I have had MSFS since alpha and pretty much have only heard the same x2 voices (the male or female voice) since then. I downloaded it on my laptop whilst away and was shocked to hear different voices. Any idea why this is?

Some general points to note:

• Any altitude below 18000ft will be given in feet. IN MSFS the flight levels only start at at FL180 globally, mirroring the system used in North America.

• If you get a much higher altitude assigned than what you specificed in your flight plan on the world map it is usually because you request a higher altitude on the climb. What the ATC logic does is take your requested increase and add it to the cruise altitude (not saying it is always the cause, but it is a common cause).

• ATC will not clear you to a higher altitude until you reach the previously assigned one

• ATC will rarely clear you to your final altitude or requested altitude in one step. AN increase of about 9000ft seems to be the most it will ever give. So you get cleared up in steps.

Not justifying, advocating or otherwise. Just sharing what I have observed of ATC logic.

Hello @Trustdesa81 ,
Is this reproducible enough that you could get a video of this happening! Or at least screenshots?

Hello!

Will try, have not had a chance to use the sim again :slight_smile:

I did two flights when I posted this, USA and UK and came across the same issue, however no restart between the two so will give it a go.

1 Like

I have requested and approved for a 10,000 ft increase or decrease from ATC in one step. There are instances where ATC has given me a smaller increase or decrease due to altitude restrictions. When I check the charts or diagrams, I find that ATC is correct and I’m not. For example, I requested and received a lower altitude of 5,000 ft. As I got closer to the airport, ATC had me climb to 10,000 ft. What? Turns out I was using an arrival that had an altitude crossing restriction of 10,000 ft at the entry waypoint.

Another time I was flying a small GA aircraft with a service ceiling of about 17,000 ft. I filed an IFR flight plan using an arrival that had a waypoint crossing restriction of 18,000 ft. ATC instructed me to climb to 18,000 ft for the waypoint. No matter how hard I tried, the aircraft couldn’t reach 18,000 feet. I requested a lower altitude which was approved until reaching the waypoint where I had to climb to 18,000 ft. And I could not fly past the waypoint unless I ignored ATC. My only alternative was to cancel IFR which was a terrible option due to some very bad weather. I landed at a VFR airport and created a new IFR flight plan suitable for my aircraft.

Yes, there are instances where ATC does crazy things but there are time when I’ve requested crazy things expecting ATC to allow me to do what I want.

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Yes.

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

After SU12, I found that the ATC to AI communications are completely broken. I try to list the things I’ve noticed during my flights.

1. ATC seemingly only issues “climb and maintain” or “descend and maintain” instructions to nearby AI aircraft, and almost exclusively at high flight levels (e.g. “Ryanair 123, Descend and maintain FL360”).
  2. ATC repeats the same instructions to the same aircraft over and over and over again, every few seconds.
  3. ATC very often interrupts itself with a different message to a different aircraft. In busy airspaces (like over New York, for example), the ATC constantly interrupts itself with different lines, which is extremely distracting.
  4. AI aircraft almost never acknowledge or read back the instructions. They very rarely say anything in the radio. It’s mostly just the ATC churning out the same strange messages. (I mean, DESCEND to FL360???)
  5. There is basically no “organic” communication between ATC and AI planes anymore, as a result. And of course, whenever an AI plane says something, they use the same voice as the ATC (this is a very long-standing bug).
  6. There is no other communication whatsoever between ATC and AI. No vectoring, no landing clearance, no queuing planes, no asking for take-off or pushback at airports, nothing. Just the “descend and maintain FL340-360” messages from ATC without response.

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

N/A at this time.

1 Like

ATC is way broken.
I was flying into Eagle CO (KEGE) IFR and I was assigned visual landing instruction for runway 07. But the winds were out of the east, at 18 knots. AND, there were three aircraft taking off on runway 25. I cancelled IFR and contacted tower and asked for landing request. Again they gave me runway 07. I circled, scratching my head, and waited for the last plane to depart.

WHY was I assigned landing with an 18 knot tail wind?
WHY was I given permission to land IFR and VFR while other planes were given take off approval at the same time from the opposite runway?

I’ve experienced MORE “Cleared to Land” while other planes have been “Cleared for Takeoff” from the same runway where we would crash if IRL.

Once, since SU12 update, while I was landing and another plane was ready to take off, they were told to hold short. All other times the other plane was ready to take off, they were also cleared for takeoff. I AM ON FINAL!!! ARG!!!

1 Like