ATIS letter stuck for each airport

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

Irrelevant

Brief description of the issue:

Currently the ATIS letter (“blah blah airport information BRAVO”) are stuck for each airport. For example, RCTP is always Uniform and RCSS is always Sierra. I believe IRL they should shift for each update (per half hour or per hour)

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Go to an airport at any hour 58 minutes, hear the ATIS, re-tune to ATIS after 00 minutes and hear again, observe the letter is the same.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

irrelevant

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

back in SU9 when I joined. I believe this has been the case since the beginning of MSFS.

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Might not be a bug, ATIS don’t change at a set time, they change when there’s a change in weather. Could be after a minute, could be a couple of hours.

You serious mate?

1. weather don’t stay the same for an hour.
  2. in the sim they update every hour anyway.
  3. I am talking about visiting the same airport (RCTP) multiple times every day for a full month and still getting information Uniform every time.

You were suggesting that the ATIS should change on the hour. They don’t do that in real life. If they do in the sim then it’s not realistic.

If it’s the same identifier for hours then yes it’s probably screwed up but checking for a change on the hour is not the way to show if it’s bugged or not.

OP is correct. ATIS is typically updated once every hour or half hour. Usually, it happens in the last ten minutes of the hour. The only exception is when conditions change rapidly, in which case they will update the ATIS as needed.

ATIS is updated no less than once per hour.

I don’t think the ATIS information is changed if the weather doesn’t change. The letter designator should always be current weather. If the same letter is used at the start, it should increment normally when the weather changes at about an hour interval, not for every change in the weather.

FAA ATIS Procedures Manual

So the reason IRL the phonetic code cycles is partly because weather updates occur frequently.

It changes when it needs to change. It is usually more frequent than hourly but not necessarily. There is no specific time to change an ATIS.

Christchurch was running a 1 hour 7 minute old ATIS this morning.

The problem is there isn’t such an “if”. Weather always change, even if it’s just one knot more or less wind.

Besides, in the sim the time associated with ATIS does change every hour. Therefore, the alphabet should also change. Whether the weather change is big enough for a new ATIS to be announced is a different and irrelevant question.

There’re obviously lots of things wrong with the ATIS in the sim. It shouldn’t just change because the hour has changed, it should change if the weather changes, if the weather changes and the details of the ATIS change then it should have a new identifier.

Just to clarify your bug report, are you saying that the ATIS conditions change regularly but the identifier doesn’t, or that the conditions and identifier remain the same for extended periods?

Here is another ATIS well over an hour old:

This was the current ATIS at 0331 UTC.

I agree with the OP though that if the conditions are changing but the identifier remains the same then it is not realistic. I’m not sure if it is a bug, they may have done it intentionally.

The “XXXX Zulu” and the weather et el gets updated, the alphabet identifier stays the same.

Basically, like I mentioned earlier multiple times, you will not hear an ATIS from RCTP that isn’t Uniform. No matter how the weather change or not change, it’s always Uniform.

Okay - cool stories, but we’re way Off-Course and Topic. Let’s please get back to the subject. Thanks.