ATR 72 Massive FPS drop in VR when selecting Terrain in the ND

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

No

Brief description of the issue:

On the ground during cockpit prep, turning ON Terrain for the Navigation Display creates a massive FPS drop while in VR (haven’t checked in 2D, don’t care for it).
Using the Varjo Aero 39ppd + DLSS Quality + Render Res 100 + DX11

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Cockpit prep at KRDD experiencing [50-55]fps, once turning ON Terrain, FPS drop to 28fps!!! Turning Terrain to OFF, fps back to [50-55]fps!

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Good to know.
Can you, please, click on the vote button, thanks a lot!

Where can I turn it on? I wanna test this myself?

1 Like

YES, though not VR, standard 3D.

I’m flying with the ATR in the Colombian region (Xbox/Xcloud), very mountainous and consequently intensive use of terrain radar. When taking off from SKCL (CALI) towards SKBO (BOGOTA) I noticed the simulator extremely slow, I even thought it was something serious, it was then that I had the idea to turn off the terrain radar and suddenly the simulator went out of the extremely slow condition . I partially solved the problem by going to the tablet options and decreasing the TAWS resolution to 50% (Radar Terrain Resolution) and it improved a little.

also happens on Xbox Series X… voted!

Thanks for sharing this very useful insight.

yes

terr in VR is very laggy

When I load the ATR I have a severe framerate dropdown from about 55 fps to about 15 fps. No other plane has this framerate issue.
Thanks for feedback and support.

Unfortunately the disabling of the terrain does not help to fix the massive framerate dropdown from normaly 45 fps to about 9 fps (Nvidia RTX 4900)

1 Like

Are you using DX11 or 12? I would be using DX11 if you weren’t already. All drivers need updated win10/11 and graphic drivers. Test with empty COMMUNITY folder!

Massive FPS drop unfortunately still present in the new update!

Yes the ATR still needs to be optimized a lot for the FPS…

I noticed the same issue. Flying into Kamloops BC (CYKA) was using the terrain radar to navigate the mountains in low vis. As soon as the radar begins to detect terrain, there is a massive 20-25 FPS drop. Happens every time it detects terrain. Switched off the terrain radar and the FPS immediately returned to normal. Approach with terrain radar off = +30 FPS. Approach with radar on = 17 to 20 FPS. All other settings and conditions (weather, approach and so forth) the same. Only difference is terrain radar on/off.

I guess this issue is still not optimized…

Closed as by design. TAWS terrain map can be configured in EFB.