ATR Levers locks only visually

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

No (does not affect)

Brief description of the issue:

Gust Locks and Idle gate are just locking the actual levers, while we’re still able to manage power on the angines above and below its mechanic locks.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Full power while Gust lock is engaged and levers are at 30%:

Ground Idle power while in flight but lever are just visualy locked to the Idle gate detent (FI)

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Set power at any time

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

Version: 1.32.7.0

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

yes

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

xbox series x, I was able to reach TO speed but unable to rotate with the gust lock on.

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

It’s a general problem that the visual levers on the atr often do not correspond with where the sim thinks they are.

1 Like

I’ve encountered this myself graspee and I think we have touched on it before. There was an interesting thread yesterday that talked about the power settings button to select takeoff, cruise etc and how can it be functional as this plane has no auto throttle control. The outcome was something like if the throttle is on the white detent, then the power settings that you set with the dial are functional, otherwise are manual. I didn’t fully understand it but it was something to that effect.

That may or may not explain what we have experienced to some degree or may be the source of a bug. I did think when reading it that the issues I have noticed maybe my not understanding this feature as well as I should. I do mean to look into it and see if I can figure it out, however like you I do suspect that it’s bugged but not entirely sure.

In fact without a manual it’s very hard to distinguish between a feature and a bug in this aircraft but it is what it is I guess.

About the whote detent, thats correct, it’s called notch and it follows the power seted on the PWR MGT knob
I’ve got my hands on a ATR manual and it says:

Gust locks limits Power Lever to right below Flight Idle, as so, power should not increase beyond this point and, it does but, visualy power levers stay at the locked position.

That’s the Idle gate, the position where pilots can’t reduce the power below this level wich’s called Flight Idle, that’s lowest engine power setting and r.p.m at which the engine can safely operate in flight, as so as soon as one wheel touches ground It releases the throttle levers so pilots can finally “Really Idle it”
Considering that, while u’re in flight we’re not supposed to get engine power below these levels, but, even with power levers being locked visualy to Flight Idle, engine power actually does decrease to what looks to be Ground idle.
U can easily notice that by reducing the power to a point where it says IDLE on that hint in PFD, and if u keep reduncing power speed starts to deacrease very quickly (thats a ground idle in flight indication).

1 Like

Gust locks are in reality flight controls locks, that works locking it to avoid gust from moving and damaging flight surfaces as elevators and ailerons, so, you need to unlock them before takeoff, to avoid things like departing with controls locked, it also detents the power levers.

Thankyou for this ppolak I’ll have a look👍

1 Like

So, safe to say at this point that the GI and FI stops are not modeled (except in the animation of the PLs only), idle is idle in this one I guess.

That’s normal behaviour for the ATR, on flight the Throttle levers are locked at the Flight Idle Detent. That is being done by the idlegate located at the bottom of he throttle quadrant below the throttle levers. The throttle is allowed to go back to Ground Idle only while on the ground.

since most controllers simulate the throttle resistace or the throttle locks, the tend to move upto to the lowest setting in the throttle while the aircraft locks it it FI.

yeah sometimes it is happening with me as well.

sometimes because i am using an xbox controller so i have no clue when my throttles are going beyond FI to GI or Full-Throttle with Gust lock engaged.

This has resulted in a lot of botched landings.

1 Like

Thanks for this infos from the real bird.
When Levers reach FI torque really stays at around 20~30%, but anyway I can still furhter reduce my hardware levers all the way down to those lowers torque settings, but notice, power needs to go under the Flight Idle detent.

That’s one other thing I couldnt explain cuz of my limited English and knowlege of the aircraft TKS once again @anon39665369

Just for my understanding: IRL, what is the actual beta range range between FI and GI? I am under the impression that MSFS will only permit beta >=0 until you start going into reverse.

I think the devs had to make an intentional compromise to stay “in the box” with default sim capability. Although, this a/c really needs custom engine modeling, and I hope we will get that eventually…we should suggest an alternative that would work in the interim.

Fixed in ATR Update 1.0.8.