ATR Nose lifts up when I engage the Reverse thrust

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

No

Which aircraft are you reporting an issue about? (Please also add the proper tag for it)

ATR-72/600

Brief description of the issue:

When I land the plane, the nose lifts up whenever I engage reverse thrust. This happens after the latest update. I don’t know if I have done something wrong or if it’s a bug.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Release parking brake?

Oh, this happened after I touched down the ground while landing… so of course I wouldn’t set parking brake at that time.
Thanks! :grinning:

Have you checked to make sure they’re off? You wouldn’t be the first one to land with parking brakes on (also IRL). It’s a valid question.

Yes, I am sure. Besides, the aircraft was still moving forward while the nose lift up…
Thanks…
ps. I will make sure again in my next flight.

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Yes

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

In fact this happens, although for me the ATR hardly activates the reverse, it makes a click noise but does not go into reverse and when it does it stays with its nose up and it is not the parking brake.

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Maybe normal , need a real pilot knowledge.
Take a look at videos ,you will see copilots pushing control column forward after landing.
I may be wrong , but as force applied on structure in reverse is forward the main landing gear , torque may tend to lift nose ??
ATR72 naturally tends to raise its nose , there is a tail prop in the parking lot to prevent the plane from raising it when there are too many passengers waiting near the door.

Yes this happens now ever since Hans re-did the reverse thrust binding to use “toggle reverse thrust”. Now, instead of normal reverse thrust, the throttle axis produces the same amount of thrust as it would for that axis position in forward thrust. So, you could theoretically accelerate to 200+ knots in reverse if you open the throttle (obviously impossible in real life). The answer is a workaround. First land, then once the nose wheel is down, toggle the reverse switch and only put the throttle about 20% forward.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot for the reply! Indeed it happens after v1.0.8. I will try your suggestion. Hope this can be fixed in next update.
I just wonder how come seldom people suffer from this?

1 Like

I personally don’t see this as a bug, perhaps just modeled a bit too powerful but you can watch real ATR landings they very gently engange the reversers… idle to full reverse has a much smaller path to travel than flight idle to full power so of course it will be more sensitive to input. I have a TM Hotas One and it works perfectly. I have Toggle Throttle Reverse Thrust mapped to B3 on the back of the throttle quadrant. I idle all the way back right before touchdown. When the nose wheel makes contact I hit the toggle, the props take a second or two to rotate into reverse, then I gently nudge the throttle forward bit by bit until the plane starts to decelerate… when it’s down to a reasonable speed, I idle back once again and toggle the thrust back to normal while using a bit of ground brakes (mapped to the trigger on the joystick). Then turn off onto a taxi way… easy peasy. Just be gentle… I also popped a wheelie my first time after the update when I slammed the trottle into full reverse on landing.

1 Like

This is normal though… try throwing a paper plane backwards the nose will go up.

Are you joking?

I had just the same issue…landed in LROP, turned on reverse thrust, and the plane stopped almost immediately on the spot (from 100kts), and raised it’s nose.

I did not use any wheel brake/parking brake.

Marked as by design/user error - Happens when reverse command is repeatedly forced by control.