Aussie Group Flights Team: Golden Oldie - Battle of Britain Airfields

Climb into your Spitfire and join us as we take off from Kenley Aerodrome and fly over the historic Battle of Britain airfields of Kent returning to RAF Biggin Hill.

Your Spitfire sortie will take in the old WWII stations at Kenley, West Malling, Hawkinge, Manston, Eastchurch, Detling and Gravesend. We will also check out the White Cliffs of Dover.

You will be flying in the same historic airspace that the Battle of Britain was fought.

We will also fly across the channel to Dunkerque in Formation, take a 10min break and fly back again in formation, just for a bit of fun.

Details to follow. Hope you can join us.

PLEASE NOTE: THIS INFORMATION IS FOR FLIGHT SIMULATION USE ONLY.

Regards, Paul

1 Like

This FREE aircraft was suggested as an alternative to the Spitfire if you don’t have it.

Flightsim.to

Hawker Hurricane MK I » Microsoft Flight Simulator

✓ Hawker Hurricane MK I is a Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 mod created by Fsadni. Download for free to enhance your experience in MSFS 2020.

Some interesting reading on aircraft used in the Battle of Britain, along with a great video at the end of the article.

Imperial War Museums

9 Iconic Aircraft From The Battle Of Britain

Learn about the RAF Fighter Command’s aircraft during the Battle of Britain from the Supermarine Spitfire and Hawker Hurricane, to the Bf 109 (named the best fighter in the world), the ‘Flying Pencil’ and the infamous ‘Stuka’.

This interesting link lists all the airfields used in the Battle of Britain and their current use.

en.wikipedia.org

List of Battle of Britain airfields

During the Battle of Britain, the defence of the UK’s airspace was divided up within RAF Fighter Command into four Groups, each comprising several airfields and squadrons. The groups involved, 10, 11, 12 and 13, saw very different levels of activity during the battle. No. 11 Group, responsible for the defence of London and the south-east saw the heaviest fighting, and pilots were often rotated among the groups to allow them to rest and recuperate after several weeks of fierce contact with the…

For those interested in some history around the Battle of Britain, check out the following link.

en.wikipedia.org

Battle of Britain

Asia-Pacific Mediterranean and Middle East Other campaigns

Group Flight: 2023-04-24T00:00:00Z

PLEASE DO NOT SPAWN ON THE RUNWAY. ENSURE YOU SELECT THE STARTING POSITION ON THE RAMP.

Route: Kenley Aerodrome(EGKN) Titsey Airstrip(EGOT) (Calais-Dunkerque(LFAC) Deal(AG77) Maypole Airfield(EGHB) Eastchurch Airfield(EGOL) Detling(DET) Biggin Hill(EGKB).

Take off from Kenley Aeordrome(EGKN)
Track 111 deg to Titsey Airstrip(EGOT) 4.9nm
Touch and Go at Titsey Airstrip(EGOT)
Track 078 deg to Dunton Green(WP1) 5.7nm
Track 090 deg to West Malling(WP2) 8.6nm
Track 131 deg to Boughton Monchelsea(WP3) 5.7nm
Track 108 deg to Ashford(WP4) 11nm
Track 103 deg to Hawkinge(WP5) 14.2nm
Track 084 deg to Dover(WP6) 6.7nm
Track 061 deg to White Cliffs of Dover(WP7) 1.7nm

Form up and cross the channel in formation

Track 115 deg to Calais-Dunkerque(LFAC) 24nm
Full Stop Landing at Calais-Dunkerque(LFAC) +++ 10 min break +++
Take off from Calais-Dunkerque(LFAC)

Form up and cross the channel in formation

Track 296 deg to White Cliffs of Dover(WP8) 24nm
Track 347 deg to Deal(AG77) 3.8nm
Touch and Go at Deal(AG77)
Track 347 deg to Sandwich(WP9) 4.3nm
Track 012 deg to Manston(WP10) 4.4nm
Track 266 deg to Maypole Airfield(EGHB) 8nm
Touch and Go at Maypole Airfield(EGHB)
Track 261 deg to Faversham(WP11) 10nm
Track 342 deg to Eastchurch Airfield(EGOL) 5.7mn
Touch and Go at Eastchurch Airfield(EGOL)
Track 238 deg to DET VOR(DET) 11.1nm
Track 277 deg to Ham Hill(WP12) 6.5nm
Track 343 deg to Gravesend(WP13) 7.8nm
Track 242 deg to Biggin Hill(EGKB) 14.2nm
Full Stop Landing at Biggin Hill(EGKB)

Altitude: The route can be flown up to 2,500’ to be clear of terrain.

Airport details

Kenley Aeordrome(EGKN)
Elev: 565’
RW 02/20 Asphalt (02 not available)
RW 12/30 Asphalt

Titsey Airstrip(EGOT)
Elev: 422’
RW 05/23 Grass

Calais-Dunkerque(LFAC)
Elev: 12’
RW 06/24 Bituminous

Deal(AG77)
Elev: 183’
RW 02/20 Asphalt

Maypole Airfield(EGHB)
Elev: 119’
RW 01/19 Grass

EastchurchAirfield(EGOL)
Elev: 60’
RW 08/26 Grass

Biggin HIll(EGKB)
Elev: 599’
RW 03/21 Asphalt

Aircraft: War Bird - Spitfire, Hurricane, Mustang, etc,.

IMPORTANT: In the interest of keeping it REAL, please refrain from selecting inappropriate aircraft, like airliners. This only detracts from the immersion of the flight.

Seeing Aircraft Correctly: You need to do two things to ensure you can see the other pilots in the event and see them in the aircraft they selected.

Select the same server: To do this, proceed as follows:

From the Welcome Screen, click on your Username (top right)
From the list of servers, under Servers, select WEST USA

Turn off Generic Planes: To do this, proceed as follows:

From the Welcome Screen, click on OPTIONS
Click on GENERAL
With TRAFFIC selected, scroll down to the last option and set USE GENERIC PLANE MODELS to OFF

Turning off Crash/Damage:

Select Options/Assistance
Expand Failure & Damage
Disable Crash Damage
Disable Aircraft Stress Damage
Disable Engine Stress Damage
Accept the changes

Voice Room: My personal Discord server is used for voice comms. If you haven’t already joined my server, click on the below link to request access. I will set you up as a Member so you can access the server. Ensure you do this prior to the flight, as latecomers will need to wait for the next event.

Link to join the Voice Room: Aussie Group Flights Team - On-line Flying

Note: this link is only valid for 7 days from posting.

Weather/Time: We will set the time to 8am. This will allow us to fly in daylight and choose REAL weather so that the winds are correct.

From the World Map view, click on Flight Conditions (upper right of screen)
Click on All Players, Live Traffic, Custom
Under Weather and Time, select Live Weather and move the time slide bar to show 8:00am. 
Click Close and Fly from the World Map view.

We can start departing from 24:00z. There will be no need for official radio calls. Let’s just have some fun taking in the scenery and the social aspects of the event.

Turning on Points of Interest

Select Options/Assistance
Expand POI
Set Landmark Markers to ON
Set City Markers to ON
Set Airport Markers to ON
Accept the changes

Turning on Name Tags (This will assist you in following the group if you get disoriented):

Select Options/GeneralTraffic
Set Show Traffic Nameplates to On
Accept the settings

Still confused, check out the multiplayer video tutorial from SimHangar Flight Simulation: MSFS | MULTIPLAYER | How To Guide | Everything You Need To Know | Fly in events coming soon. - YouTube

Let me know if there’s anything else that I’ve missed that you need to know.,

Regards, Paul

Flight plans for the event …

Little NavMap: VFR Kenley Aerodrome (EGKN) to Biggin Hill (EGKB).lnmpln (4.8 KB)

MSFS: VFR Kenley Aerodrome (EGKN) to Biggin Hill (EGKB).pln (5.7 KB)

Suggested scenery …

Biggin Hill(EGKB): London Biggin Hill Airport - EGKB for Microsoft Flight Simulator | MSFS

FREE membership to our Discord Server. Join in the friendly banter during the flight.
In addition there are useful services and information for members of the Discord Server.

Link: Aussie Group Flights Team - On-line Flying

Print this flight card out for your easy reference during the flight (Note: only available up to the date of the flight): Dropbox - Flight Card.pdf - Simplify your life

Event reminder …

discord link is broken :frowning:

Did you use the additional Discord link I supplied later in the posts (a couple up from your post)? It’s annoying, the links are supposed to last for seven days yet people advise that they don’t work after a few days.

Let me know how you get on and if necessary, I’ll provide an additional link.