Aussie Group Flights Team - Kodiak Island Float Planes

Join us as we fly over Kodiak Island in Alaska, this time in float planes. There will be a number of take offs and landings on both runways and waterways. Dip you toe in the excitement that will surely accompany this fun filled adventure.

Details to follow. Hope you can join us.

Regards, Paul

3 Likes

Suggested free add-on scenery for this event …

Kodiak Island Seaplane Bases Mega Pack: Kodiak island seaplane bases (Megapack) » Microsoft Flight Simulator

If you have the payware Orbx Alaska Mesh, this event will showcase it as Kodiak Island is included in the mesh area.

ATTENTION Aussie Flight Group Participants …

Group Flight: 2021-09-10T10:00:00Z

PLEASE DO NOT SPAWN ON THE RUNWAY. ENSURE YOU SELECT THE STARTING POSITION ON THE RAMP.

Route: PADQ(Kodiak) - T44(Trident Basin) - 9Z3(Kodiak Lily Lake) - UP1(Monashka Res) - 4KS(Ouzinkie) - UP2(Anton Larsen Is) - ORI(Port Lions) - KPY(Port Bailey) - WSJ(San Juan Uganik) - KWP(West Point Village) - UP3(Spiridon Lake) - KZB(Zachar Bay Seaplane Base) - PALB(Larsen Bay) - AK81(Amook Bay) - KKL(Karluk Lake) - UP4(Fraze Lake) - KOY(Olga Bay) - KMY(Moser Bay) - PAKH(Akhiok).

Take off from PADQ(Kodiak)
Track 042 deg to T44(Trident Basin) 3.8nm
Splash and Go at T44(Trident Basin)
Track 353 deg to 9Z3(Kodiak Lily Lake) 1.3nm
Water Land at 9Z3(Kodiak Lily Lake)
Take off from 9Z3(Kodiak Lily Lake)
Track 291 deg to UP1(Monashka Res) 3.6nm
Splash and Go at UP1(Monashka Res)
Track 343 deg to 4KS(Ouzinkie) 6.1nm
Touch and Go at 4KS(Ouzinkie)
Track 219 deg to UP2(Anton Larsen Is) 6.9nm
Track 255 deg to ORI(Port Lions) 6.4nm
Touch and Go at ORI(Port Lions)
Track 276 deg to KPY(Port Bailey) 6.7nm
Water Landing at KPY(Port Bailey)
Take off from KPY(Port Bailey)
Track 199 deg to WSJ(San Juan Uganik) 15nm
Splash and Go at WSJ(San Juan Uganik)
Track 270 deg to KWP(West Point Village) 7.7nm
Water Landing at KWP(West Point Village)
Take off from KWP(West Point Village)
Track 214 deg to UP3(Spiridon Lake) 5.4nm
Splash and Go at UP3(Spiridon Lake)
Track 175 deg to KZB(Zachar Bay Seaplane Base) 10nm
Water Landing at KZB(Zachar Bay Seaplane Base)
Take off from KZB(Zachar Bay Seaplane Base)
Track 244 deg to PALB(Larsen Bay) 7.4nm
Touch and Go at PALB(Larsen Bay)
Track 108 deg to AK81(Amook Bay) 6.5nm
Water Landing at AK81(Amook Bay)
Take off from AK81(Amook Bay)
Track 210 deg to KKL(Karluk Lake) 9.3nm
Splash and Go at KKL(Karluk Lake)
Track 198 deg to UP4(Fraze Lake) 7.1nm
Splash and Go at UP4(Fraze Lake)
Track 183 deg to KOY(Olga Bay) 7nm
Splash and Go at KOY(Olga Bay)
Track 144 deg to KMY(Moser Bay) 8.6nm
Water Landing at KMY(Moser Bay)
Take off from KMY(Moser Bay)
Track 175 deg to PAKH(Akhiok) 5.4nm
Full Stop Landing at PAKH(Akhiok)

Altitude: The route can be flown up to 4,500’ to be clear of terrain.

Airport details:

Kodiak(PADQ)
Elev: 79’
RW 08/26 Asphalt
RW 11/29 Asphalt
RW 01/19 Asphalt

Trident Basin(T44)
Elev: 0’
RW 02/20 Water

Kodiak Lily Lake
Elev: 130’
RW NE/SW Water

Ouzinkie(4KS)
Elev: 100’
RW 08/26 Gravel

Port Lions(ORI)
Elev: 42’
RW 07/25 Bituminous

Port Bailey(KPY)
RW E/W Water

San Juan Uganik(WSJ)
RW N/S Water

West Point Village(KWP)
RW E/W Water

Larsen Bay(PALB)
Elev: 87’
RW 04/22 Asphalt

Amook Bay(AK81)
RW N/S Water

Karluk Lake
Elev: 368’
RW NW/SE Water

Olga Bay(KOY)
RW E/W Water

Moser Bay(KMY)
RW N/W Water

Akhiok(PAKH)
Elev: 44’
RW 04/22 Asphalt

Aircraft: Suggest any single engine GA Aircraft on floats.

IMPORTANT: In the interest of keeping it REAL, please refrain from selecting inappropriate aircraft, like airliners. This only detracts from the immersion of the flight.

Seeing Aircraft Correctly: You need to do two things to ensure you can see the other pilots in the event and see them in the aircraft they selected.

Select the same server: To do this, proceed as follows:

From the Welcome Screen, click on your Username (top right)
From the list of servers, under Servers, select WEST USA

Turn off Generic Planes: To do this, proceed as follows:

From the Welcome Screen, click on OPTIONS
Click on GENERAL
With TRAFFIC selected, scroll down to the last option and set USE GENERIC PLANE MODELS to OFF

Turning off Crash/Damage:

Select Options/Assistance
Expand Failure & Damage
Disable Crash Damage
Disable Aircraft Stress Damage
Disable Engine Stress Damage
Accept the changes

Voice Room: Discord for Official MSFS Community: Event #1 or Event #2 are the voice rooms available to us. I need to see which is available on the day and reserve it. I will be in the room and get it authorised for our use. Just look for my Userid: VHFIB to determine which room to enter. Until the room is open only one person can be in the room. In the past we have needed to use a PTT (push to talk) button. This is no longer required, so you can use voice activated comms. Some people prefer to use their phone or ipad etc for Discord comms.

Note: if you are new to the Discord Server for MSFS, you will need to “react” to get access to the voice rooms.

To “react”, once in the Discord for Official MSFS, click on the Important - Info option and at the very bottom, click on the button (last item at the bottom of the screen) to react and provide access. Note: clicking on the button accepts the conditions etc., which you can read via the available links.

Link to join the Voice Room: https://discord.gg/vZgWpekq
Note: this link is only valid for 7 days from posting.

Weather/Time: We will set the time to 8am. This will allow us to fly in daylight and choose CLEAR Weather, so can enjoy the scenery, if the REAL weather is poor:

From the World Map view, click on Flight Conditions (upper right of screen)
Click on All Players, Live Traffic, Custom
Under Weather and Time, select Clear Weather and move the time slide bar to show 8:00am. 
Click Close and Fly from the World Map view.

We can start departing from 10:00z. There will be no need for official radio calls. Lets just have some fun taking in the scenery and the social aspects of the event.

Turning on Points of Interest

Select Options/Assistance
Expand POI
Set Landmark Markers to ON
Set City Markers to ON
Set Airport Markers to ON
Accept the changes

Turning on Name Tags (This will assist you in following the group if you get disoriented):

Select Options/GeneralTraffic
Set Show Traffic Nameplates to On
Accept the settings

Still confused, check out the multiplayer video tutorial from SimHangar Flight Simulation: MSFS | MULTIPLAYER | How To Guide | Everything You Need To Know | Fly in events coming soon. - YouTube

Let me know if there’s anything else that I’ve missed that you need to know.,

Regards, Paul

1 Like

Print this flight card out for your easy reference during the flight (Note: only available up to the date of the flight):

Hi, Trying to find the Flight Plan, I am missing it or you haven’t still posted it?

Tomorrow I will post flight plan.

1 Like

Flight Plans for the event …

LittleNavMap:
IFR Kodiak (PADQ) to Akhiok (PAKH).lnmpln (4.4 KB)

MSFS:
IFR Kodiak (PADQ) to Akhiok (PAKH).pln (5.9 KB)

1 Like

Event reminder …

Might I suggest that group participants who use LittleNavMap also try running the VirtualFlight.Online application (available from Virtual Flight Online Transmitter » Microsoft Flight Simulator).

This will allow the position of participating aircraft to be seen in LNM.

1 Like

Hi Paul, the area in Switzerland I was suggesting starting (or ending) is in the valley where Sion (LSGS) is located. There is a spectacular little grass strip named Altiport de Croix de Coeur, just a short flight away, that is a really tough uphill short field landing (much like Courchevel), which is also near there and probably a superb final destination. It is a fabulous area to fly with the C208B, a “best of show” favourite of mine, I have spent dozens of hours flying and exploring in this area, and it never fails to entertain.

1 Like

Hope you had a great Kodiak flight! I couldn’t make it this morning, but will fly it solo anyway. Thanks.

1 Like

Thanks for another superb flight… second time I joined you guys. I couldn’t however say ’ hello’ or ‘thanks’ as I couldn’t get my ‘push to talk’ operational…

1 Like

Taking on Refreshments during the trip …

1 Like