Australia: The best places to fly… & add ons and updates for Australia

What sort of flying are you doing? Airliners, business jets or props?

Australian Rescue Helicopter Services

Westpac Life Saver Rescue Helicopter Service Northern NSW
https://rescuehelicopter.com.au/

Fleet
AW139

Bases
Lake Macquarie
Broadmeadow
Tamworth
Lismore

Hospital Pads
Gosford Hospital
John Hunter Hospital
Port Macquarie Hospital
Coffs Harbour Hospital
Lismore Base Hospital
Gold Coast Hospital

Should the AW139 be added to FS2020 by The Microsoft Flight Simulator Team when helicopters are released?

2 Likes

Mostly props especially bush planes but sometimes the TBM for IFR flights. I have done a bit of exploring around rural NSW and the Townsville area so far but might try to do a complete West to East journey from Perth to Sydney.

1 Like

That first picture of the Caravan descending reminds me of something I really liked in Orbx’s Cessnock scenery for FSX; the accurately placed vines / bushes on the approach.

Unfortunately the flora AI is still often not making the right choices about what vegetation should be placed on textures (if it places at all), and it’s a real immersion breaker when you realize the vegetation doesn’t match the texture underneath.

1 Like

What do you think the ultimate touring plane is?

Have you found any particularly good areas we can feature?

This thread ‘maybe’ being watched for the next world update of Australia by the Microsoft flight sim team. What places and what textures etc should they be focusing on to make the Australia update the best it can be…

Those are hard questions for someone who has never been to Oz! :slight_smile:
I haven’t explored Northern Australia yet but I guess there must be quite a few bush strips / old WW2 airfields up there that could be good for touring. The Snowy Mountains and Tasmania look good for bush flying too.
My preferred aircraft for bush flying are the PC6 Porter, BBS BN2 Islander and the upcoming SWS Kodiak looks good too.
The Got Gravel Vertigo is a nice fast ‘fantasy’ tourer its fun for canyon running but its not really an aircraft for bush strips.

1 Like

Hello mates!

Fly in Tasmania almost exclusively despite being in Denmark. Absolutely love the place.
Stems from the free Tasmania scenery back in FSX.
Just misses Launceston airport done properly.

Now I am so familiar with the place from above as my native Denmark. Often fly to Flinters island or Kings island. Or Hobart to Launceston.

Great, great place. Would love to visit in real life but quite a distance.

Going to look at some of the suggestions above for flying though.

2 Likes

Townsville - YBTL
https://www.townsvillenorthqueensland.com.au
For those that don’t know it Townsville is on the coast in North Easter Queensland. It’s a major centre, the airport there is a military airbase.

YIGM - Ingham to the north is a very fertile tropical farming area.

2 Likes

Tasmania - Flinders Island and King Island

This map shows the major airports in Northern Tasmania. YMLT - Launceston is the major airport for the Northern Part of Tasmania.

This map shows all of the secondary airports in the area. There are a number on Flinders Island.

Flinders Island
https://visitflindersisland.com.au/

King Island

1 Like

The PC 6 porter would be good for Flinders island, nice short sectors around the island. I have not flown there yet, but looks like good terrain for flying. The weather in that area should be a challenge too, its usually very windy and very cold.

1 Like

Did anyone check the room price per night at El Questro Station???

Thanks alot for the inspirational material.

Have bought the Lonely planet guide to Tasmania and a paper map.

From time to time I check out the local hotels book my self in (imaginary booking…) or restaurants, and listen to radio Garden local stations.

1 Like

Snowy Mountains

The Snowy Mountains are one of Australia’s two snow skiing areas, the second is in Tasmania. The snow in this area although at a low elevation is very good and still sees some international competitions held there. It is spectacular countryside and is very remote in some places.

YJIN to YHOT would be a good cross country route as a starting point. If you like turbulence, this is the route for you. If you want a good tailwind, fly it in reverse.
YCOM - Cooma is the most significant airport in the area, at that there is nothing much there.

Mount Hotham Ski Resort - YHOT

3 Likes

Thanks for posting. I am new to flight sim. This post is only 2 days old, but I thought I would see how it goes. Please send me any ideas on how it can be improved.

Please send me any ideas you have for locations to look at. I have a few more Tassie airports to post yet…. I think its one of the nicest places on earth. It is comparable to western Canada I think.

In the sim lots of the smaller fields in AUS have very tall trees at each end of the strip. It can be very difficult to get in and out. I would be awesome if Asobo could reduce the tree height, even if only around the airfields.

2 Likes

Gloucester (YGCR) to Scone (YSCO) takes you over the Barrington ranges.

Mount Beauty (YMBT) to Porepunkah (YPOK) - nice scenery around the whole area.

1 Like

Examples of fields that have huge trees around them (that are not there IRL) are YLMQ and YELR

1 Like

Yes agree, the trees are a big one.

The other thing I think they could to add for Australia is birds. Every airport and everywhere you go in Australia has bird activity. There is never complete silence when your in the bush either, there are always birds making noise.

2 Likes

I think YLMQ would be a good airport to have a little focus with the update. It’s a very popular airport these days with all types of air traffic.

3 Likes