Australian base sat imagery reverted to old

I noticed a few weeks ago an updated sat imagery data set was released on MS/Asobo servers for Australia, which was great because it updated really quite old imagery in many areas. Unfortunately, a couple of days ago it seems to have reverted to the old base sat imagery for Australia at least. Noticed it when in SU15, so I left Beta but problem persisted, so am rejoining Beta now. Funny thing is when it was first propogated through the servers a few weeks ago they also went back to the old data for a few days, but it seemed to have been a weekend thing and they seemed to fix it on Monday. This time it’s still ongoing into the week…

… not really an end of the world thing, but I like doing airport scenery mods and the difference between data sets directly impacts how the sceneries look. New updated airport scenery suddenly looks terrible when it happens… It’s also a lot of fun when I don’t notice the regression and find myself undoing all the updating progress :smiley: :grimacing:

It’s not just a beta issue. It’s also on SU14 and I’ve never been part of the beta.

Moved to Scenery and Airports because it isn’t a SU15 Beta specific bug :slight_smile:

As an addendum to this point, I’ve noticed the roads on top of the imagery in Australia are also buggy (or more like you may need a dune buggy to get across certain sections). For example here’s a stretch where the newer Pacific Motorway (green, completed between 2016 and 2018) diverges from the older original ‘Pacific Highway’ (yellow) near Port Macquarie airport. Shows up correctly in Bing maps.

but in FS2020 scenery, the ‘new’ Pacific Motorway disappears under the terrain, while the older Pacific Highway is fully visible. You can still see cars moving along both.

I expect this is a case of ‘old’ (pre-2016) satellite imagery appearing under where a road should otherwise clearly be visible. This is reinforced by the fact that this very wide highway is practically invisible when it traverses through a forest a little further on

You can also clearly see properties with a connecting path that has been severed by the freeway in Bing maps, but in the visuals inside FS2020 here (with ‘World Update VII: Australia’ installed) you can clearly see the intact dirt path crossing where the freeway should be.

1 Like

I would actually love to know how to remove the road overlays as they detract from the satelite textures themselves, same with narrow creeks & channels…