Auto pilot (DA62, Bonanza, Baron etc) faulty. Aircraft graduates to a tilt

Hi
After engaging AutoPilot, the aircraft slowly tilts more and more over time. I have to keep disengaging AP, resettle the aircraft, then re-engaging the AP. However it almost immediately starts tilting to one side again.
On AP, if I trim the rudder, it does re-level the wings, but I have to keep trimming and keep trimming. Then when I disengage the AP, the aircraft goes out of control, and there is no rudder center trim input available.
I have read other posts describing this problem, and have put more deadzone into joystick, - - but no different. I have not come across any solutions.

Just a guess, but are you engaging the altitude hold as well? The autopilot just holds the pitch attitude, not altitude. To hold an altitude you need to press Altitude Hold.

Yes, I use heading hold, and either Alt hold or VS hold.
Although the AP does hold heading and Alt, it is faulty because the aircraft tilts (rolls) and stays in that awkward angle, and that angle continues to worsen.

You’re mistaken. Autopilot does not tilt or drift. Could you please share a screen shot of what your autopilot configuration is? You probably have something set wrong.

Are you switching your fuel tanks or at setting them to cross feed if avail?

This happens in all of my flights consistently. Fuel tanks are balanced. Here in this screenshot the AP was engaged for only 3 minutes and it was already tilting 5 degrees. This happens in all configs and altitudes and scenarios where I use AP. HDG is on and ALT is on.

disconnect your controllers/joystick/etc. does the problem still occur?

Yes, it still occurs with joystick disconnected. But I have noticed a few more details now that I tried that. If I disengage the HDG, the AP DOES level the plane and continue to hold a given heading. And that is a good work around so I am a little relieved.
When the HDG is engaged, it starts out fine, but over time the nose points a little away from the prescribed heading and starts to tilt. The angle of the tilt is related to the crab angle away from the prescribed heading - 1 degree left deflection results in 2 degrees tilt to the right - 2 degrees left results in 5 degrees tilt to the right, - 3 degrees left results in 8 degrees tilt to the right. . .
So it seems like rudder creep - and that is confirmed - because in external view I can see the rudder is going more and more left
As I said, a work around is to disengage the HDG and let the AP fly straight and level.
This screenshot taken when I trialed the no joystick method

I think you have bad peripherals. Recalibrate your equipment. I have an X56 and have to recalibrate occasionally. But the autopilot works fine. If you see a problem it’s because something is malfunctioning

Because I have extensively tested with the controller Logitech 3D Pro disconnected, and the problem still occurs, therefore, maybe it is my system being too far under specs - or something else is causing it.
HP Laptop 15s - fq1xxx - - - fairly new
10th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.30GHz 1.50 GHz
Iris® Plus Graphics
Ram 8 gig

Well it’s not accurate to say that the Autopilot in these aircraft is faulty. That’s a definite lie. Because the autopilot does NOT do this for me. There must be some other cause for what you see. The obvious difference between us is the hardware.

CORRECTION to what I said earlier. The rudder creeps RIGHT when the aircraft tilts RIGHT - - not left like I said earlier.
This is real weird - - because if the rudder is right - and the aircraft is tilting to the right - - it MUST turn right - - but under the faulty AP control it does not turn right. What is causing the rudder to creep in the first place?
I have found that keyboard rudder inputs Num[0] and Num[enter] (even when the controller is connected) do correct the problem temporarily - - but then the rudder continues to creep either to the left of the right.
It appears likely to be a software problem. A sleeper bug that only manifests on sub spec systems maybe??

It’s probably some keybinds that got set that you don’t know about. Something is causing the weird inputs you are seeing but there’s no problem with either the aircraft or the autopilot

I found the answer here

With Flight Model set to Modern it flies like a beauty.
Thanks for your suggestions mdapol. It was a good exercise.

2 Likes

Glad it’s working for you. Important Pro Tip: Never ever ever ever use Legacy flight model.

I just updated and I am getting this again. Had this problem last year, shame to see it reoccur. I just experienced it in the A320

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.