Autogen trees

Is there a way to reduce the amount of autogen trees? While flying VFR over unfamiliar areas it all looks fine but when over your local area it is so unreal - trees everywhere. In previous incarnations of F/S you had the option to reduce the amount of autogen scenery. To me this an option that is needed. Is it possible to rename a folder or whatever as ‘old’ to achieve this?

1 Like

Yes in the settings menu. I turn mine down and not it looks a little more real.

As I read it this option only changes the level of detail and not the amount of trees generated. The same goes for buildings and grass etc.

Okay, I’ve had another look and you are right, there are less, but for me I would like to have far more control over the amount of autogen generated. I’m used to P3D and Horizon VFR photo scenery where I can recognize everything in my local area. Still you can’t have it all.

1 Like

Try this app: https://github.com/cnorton-webdev/FS2020_Tree_Editor/releases/tag/v1.3.3

The problem is that whatever system they use to work out what should be trees is over zealous to the point that it puts trees on rock, on concrete and on what should be grass. This is why an area you are familiar with looks so overgrown.

I have put a number of requests through the Zendesk on this topic, so far niich, nyet, nothing…it kills the immersion factor greatly. Flying over cities, eg New York, trees are growing out of buildings roads etc. Many airports have them right adjacent to runways. I just did a quick flight out of my home airport…exactly as it was from the beginning…trees, trees, bloody trees. Now if they just provided us with a free chain saw…

What does it actually do? Are there less trees? Does Greta get shot?

1 Like

Its incredible how much ortho tile scenery detail is lost underneath trees. An area of the UK I am working on, I have uncovered large country houses and mansions, large park gardens, felled tree logs, paths, rock formations and fields, all covered in light green trees. Its incredible what we are not seeing because the tree system is just planting trees far too liberally.

I have raised this via Zendesk but the fact that this got through to the release candidate without anybody at Asobo or BlackShark recognising it is a problem concerns me.

Why bother carefully placing all sorts of buildings if they are then just hidden with trees? And what about the wasted resources? Why draw all those building polys if they are not seen not to mention drawing all the trees that should not be there?

2 Likes

Sounds as though you know what you are doing re “chainsawing” the over populated trees…a small favour …have a look at YSHL…compare the loading photo to the actual game situation…you’ll see my point…is there anything you can do? Tinkering behind the scenes is way above my pay grade, cheers.

All the airfield trees look very tall compared to the trees in the town.

I will see what I can do.

Ok so all the trees in that area are naturally modelled to be very tall. The only way I can get them down to a more reasonable size is to reduce the scale and that shrinks the trees in diameter too.

I am not prepared to do much more until you tell me if you like the direction I am taking or not. So look up CBC Design in Google, its a site all about Industrial Battery Charging systems which is my business. Contact me by email via the contact page and I will send you a test package for you to try by return which you will need to unzip in your community folder. If you like it I will mod all the trees in the airfield using the same system.

You will have to look around to find the ones I have modified. If you cannot see a difference I am probably not achieving what you are looking for anyway.

If you can send me a screenshot from inside the sim showing any trees you want removed that would help too.

Go to - Official/One Store/fs-base/vegitation/ - and change the ‘10-asobo_species’ file to ‘10-asobo_species.old’. This removes all of the autogen trees and in my nornal VFR area of the UK it looks a lot better. One other thing though; why are so many roads a shade of green just like they are in the ORBX GB True earth? It looks ■■■■.

That’s a sledgehammer approach, just deleting every tree. In my opinion its better to modify the biomes on a region by region basis.