Autopilot for the DHC-4 Caribou

Hello,

it may be unrealistic but a simple autopilot would significantly improve the comfort for us to use the plane for longer trips.

Greetings from Germany, Uli

Agreed! I have tried to add a edited systems.cfg in the OneStore Package folder to add a autopilot ( run via honeycomb bravo and spad.next) but no result. Could anyone point me to what files I need to edit? It has to be somewhere.
Thank you in advance.
John W

A simple one, like they have in the flying iron birds like the spitfire would be enough

I read elsewhere on the forum that théme files are encripted. So no aircraft.cfg or system.cfg.

I wanted to use spadnext and my Logitech autopilot but if it doesn’t work with your hardware it’ll not work with mine…

I would like to see an autopilot in developer mode (also for encrypted airplanes) for testing purposes only that works for all aircraft. An aircraft that does not have an autopilot in real world should not have one in the simulation.

2 Likes

Thx from germany too. With ap i will buy the Caribou again for sure.

Until a built-in autopilot gets added, qazme (@QazmeHabu) has added a basic autopilot for the Caribou on flightsim.to. It’s is extremely helpful! Here is the description:

This adds a basic autopilot to the Microsoft Local Legends DHC-4 Caribou. You will either need to know the keyboard binds, have a control panel (like the paid PMS50 GTN750), or a hardware device to control the autopilot. There is no included control panel .

Yes! I was browsing fs.to and found it, then remembered this thread.
Here’s the link for those interested:

Cant wait to try it!
@Horriblealex902 I think this should work fine now with spadnext

Big thanks to qazme!

Already downloaded it ! And it work, thanks

1 Like

What binds are working for the AP on the Caribou? None of these seem to be working.

Works so fine. I´m using Spad.next with Saytek Multipanel and default-SimConnect profile. Thanks so much Qazmel!!! :smile:

There is no included file describing an example of how to set up the DHC-4 autopilot. How is that done? …Or can you point me to a discussion of how to do it?

I wish I could be of more help. I have the Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo as well as the PMS GPS. All I had to do is install the mod in my Community folder and it works. I did set up an autopilot disconnect button, but the autopilot works with the Caribou with my button bindings. My autopilot button is bound to TOGGLE AUTOPILOT MASTER. I bound button on my yoke to TOGGLE DISENGAGE AUTOPILOT.

1 Like

That’s a good start. Thanks. I’m using Logetech 3D Pro. BTW I’ve found that turning on the AI Pilot at takeoff roll is a good way to learn what procedures to use. Be sure to turn it off on long final or the airplane will fly away into the sunset :slight_smile:

I’ d like to have an AP in the ‘Bou’ it would be very handy in longer flights

1 Like

I agree. something simple like in the Beaver or Got Friends Wilga.

I don’t understand how simply turning the AP on causes it to stick to the current heading or hold the current altitude?

I have a Honeycomb Bravo quadrant and I press the HDG button. Any controller or key binding should work. If I recall correctly, I have to set the VS speed to 0 by turning the knob and looking at the vertical speed indicator to get it to zero. there is not altitude preselector, of course.

+1 request for a built in autopilot in the panel

1 Like

yeah i dont fly planes with no ap…even a piper cub just going 10 miles…yes i appreciate the realism, but in the sim its just too much of a pain to be fun…imo