Autopilot major problems in 787 and a320

i have a major problem with autopilot in the 787 Dreamliner and the a320. if i am in the 787 and turn on the ap nothing happens plane will not follow the route i have setup even if LNAV is on it just does nothing and all the ap instruments ar blank it used to work fine before no problems at all with ap now it just dead and i get ATC saying that my transponder needs reseting?

You should study more instead of asking this here.

study more??? where the hell should i ask it then??

3 Likes

The library

AP works. Delete mods. If that doesn’t help then watch some youtube videos on how AP works and how turn it on because you’re doing something wrong. But most problems causing instruments to not work are mod related.

1 Like

I think “study more” meant that at least some of your problems might be related to maloperation rather than malfunction. This, probably along with outdated or interfering mods might not be a good combination.

What I can see on your screenshots:

• Your squawk code is 7000 so you’re likely to have VFR clearance rather than IFR

• LOC mode isn’t activated which I believe is mandatory on the 787 when attempting to fly LNAV (I’m not familiar with the 787)

• “Mins” might have to be set to “BARO” rather than “RADIO”

• I can’t tell if you’re in GPS or NAV mode which makes a difference if I remember my low experience in Boeings correctly

• It looks like you’re doing a downwind take-off, wich is a big no-no.

And that’s just the cursory glance of mine.

1 Like

A320NX Flybywire has been working fine for me for sometime now. As others have stated, make sure you understand how to operate it correctly. i cannot comment on the 787 as i have never been able to get a satisfactory flight with it, Landing in my experiance just does not seem to operate correctly.

Not for airliners. Flying a Vanilla FS2020 and I went from it all working at launch and completing flights no problem to it getting progressively worse earlier and earlier into flights before I just ended up canning anything above a Turboprop. Thankfully GA is still pretty bug free.

Tempted to try this. You doing gate starts or runway?

Yes, I always fly from the gate, doing the usual boarding, baggage Aircraft set up and ATC

1 Like

Well in the first picture the Autopilot is disabled as it should be on the ground. In the second picture you don’t have LOC mode engaged which is required in the 787. As for ATC did you squawk the correct code when it was given to you during clearance and switch the knob to TR/TA or just hot start on the runway and think everything would be set up magically? 7000 is a default VFR code not IFR. Ps. that’s the wrong runway my dude never do a downwind take off.

As for ‘Study More’ I think what people meant was read up. You can download manuals for all these aircraft online. All the problems you seem to be having are with the systems of the plane itself and not any sort of bug or glitch on the sims end they are all user errors.

I still have an issue with the 787 capturing the localizer or glide slope (pre-today’s update). Only issue I have with the A320 is occasionally, the ILS frequency will be wrong (or never there for Miami, although I believe that’s related to the 3rd party upgrade - the frequencies are there and can be looked up on the world map, they just aren’t auto entered into the flight plan).

Just updated, and did a small flight from egll 27R to egcc 5R and was able to catch the glide slope with no problems. Only problem I did face was after disengaging the autopilot when I was at a speed between 130-140 knots I was unable to pitch up, increasing the speed slightly resolved that problem for me. I had the same problem with not capturing the glide sllope before the update. Give it a try, fingers crossed it should work.

Landingspeed of the 787 is above 150kt

GS not catching is a known bug. ALT seems to interfere. When catching the GS the AP switches to GS and immediately switches back to ALT mode.

Workaround: set a low Altitude and switch to VS with a rate of 0 before you’re close to catching the GS. Activate APR when green indicator Diamond is above or on your level.

1 Like

Also, when you start from the runway sometimes the transponder is not set for you automatically in the 787.

You can enter it manually on the panel right next to the pilotseat. Press XPDR (transponder - top left position next to VHF HF SAT CAB GPWS WXR) enter the code and press the button next to the faulty 7000 code.

Just a point of order

LOC mode is not required for the 787 Autopilot to work! God knows where people have got that from.

LOC/FAC is simply a mode used to either track a localiser (LOC) or intercept a Final Approach Course (FAC) in the case of an IAN approach (not simulated on the Asobo 787). Another common misunderstanding is the use of Approach/APP mode. You must arm LOC/FAC first and when (and only when) that captures do you arm Approach mode.

I can’t say what the issue is with your autopilot but the windows on the MCP should not be blank like that. As soon as the aircraft has power they should be on. That is not something you’re doing wrong, something is amiss there so if you have any 3rd party mods installed removing them should be your first port of call.

ps As an aside, the 787 is a complete and utter mess and borderline unplayable. It bears virtually no resemblance to the real aircraft and requires a LOT of work.

pps Although not an ideal, for many reasons taking off with a tailwind is sometimes unavoidable and as long as it’s accounted for in the performance it can be done. The AFM permits a 787 to take off with up to a 15kt tailwind.

1 Like

Still same issues with 787 capturing the glideslope after the patch. Amongst many issues. Most of which I can live with - sometimes the AP seems to lose the path it’s supposed to fly as you get close to the destination airport, but I can live with having to manually adjust heading. Even the speeds during descent (although I love that the 320 does all that for you). But when I get to the glideslope, the plane should fly itself to landing, and I’m not sure what is happening when APP is hit.

Not real interested in workarounds - it should just work like it does in the 320.

1 Like