Avionics brightness knob will not turn

Example from the Cirrus below, however the same for any aircraft avionics brightness adjustment. The brightness is stuck on 0% and even when I click on and move the knob it instantly reverts to 0% as soon as I stop moving and/or scrolling the mouse. I’ve struggled with trying to figure out this issue for a long time, my desperation has surpassed my concern for looking the fool on the internet.

Note that in the image attached, the knob directly above (flood light) works fine, just click and scroll or move the mouse and it brightens and dims and stays where I leave it (as seen in the image, it is not at 0%).

Help!

It could possibly be a conflict with something in your Community Folder (if you have anything in there).

Thinking of the low hanging fruit… this is always a good place to start. This has tripped me up several times.

Thanks for the help, going to play the idiot card (I have a whole deck), assuming I found the right place (C:\Userss\unsername\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Community), then the only thing in there is AFC_Bridge which I think comes from my Honeycomb Alpha and/or Bravo, do I just delete that folder? Will I have to re-configure my honecombs after?

Thanks again.

No, don’t delete anything.

If you rename the Community Folder by adding “temp” to the name, when you restart the sim, it won’t find the Community Folder. This is the same as the Sim running in Safe Mode.

So you rename it, reload the sim and check the brightness function.

Later, you rename it back to the original name.

Or, since you have so little in there, you can move the CF to your Desktop. When Sim loads, it won’t find it where it’s supposed to be. Same as Safe Mode.

Make sense?

Done, unfortunately didn’t have any effect, still can’t adjust brightness, but I learned something today so that’s a good thing.

1 Like

Hmm, gotta give this some thought.

Check the Assistance options to make sure Aircraft lights are not set to automatic. I don’t know if Avionics are controlled by this settings but may as well check.

Sometimes these options can reset or change on their own.

You might also go into “options/control options” and then do a search “by input” (the middle of the three search boxes on the left side of the screen), and move the mouse in the x-axis (since that’s what your screen is saying to do to interact) see if more than one action shows up. You can also see if it’s set to lockable/hold/ or toggle, which could be causing it to reset when you release it.
Regards

1 Like

No assists active, as far as I can tell, the x is only assigned to the interaction, or camera with the RMB held down. I’ve tried a few more aircraft, and it’s haphazard, some of the other lighting is doing the same thing, for example the citation has flood and cabin lights, and they are doing the same as the Avionics brightness, other aircraft are fine on other lighting, but all aircraft will not allow avionics brightness to change.

What still vexes me is the knob directly above in the cirrus uses the same control and works fine. This led me to believe that there was some other binding to control the lights, but I can’t find anything assigned on keyboard, alpha, bravo, or rudder pedals.

The troubleshooting continues, but I’m still in the dark (literally), many thanks for all the suggestions.

1 Like

Wow, this is a tough one.

Just for troubleshooting, let’s try changing Cockpit Interaction from “Legacy” to “Lock” or vice versa.

I’m not at my PC now, I think it’s in the Assistance menu.

Update: I’ve fiddled with the legacy vs. lock and that has no effect. I unplugged all my peripherals one by one and have determined the conflict is somewhere in my Honeycomb Bravo. That said, I created a profile and deleted all functions from everything so that it controlled nothing. That solved the avionics brightness , however the knob above (panel flood) that did work properly before, is now exhibiting the behavior the avionics brightness was.

I’ll update after I have a chance to hopefully do some more testing this evening. Thanks again to everyone for all the help, you all have got me started in some new directions that I hadn’t previously chased down. It’s something to do with the Bravo, even with no assignments it’s still creating a problem, if it’s unplugged there are no issues with any knobs. I hope it’s not a sign that something is wrong with the hardware

2 Likes

Awesome! Glad to hear you’re making progress.

The problem is now solved. I still don’t know what caused the issue, but here is what solved the problem ultimately. As stated above, I created a fresh profile on my Honeycomb Bravo and unassigned everything, that fixed the avionics brightness but made others not work. After that I deleted ALL of my profiles except for the sim default (because it wouldn’t let me delete it), but unassigned everything in the default profile so the Bravo did nothing. This solved it for everything (at least so far that I have tested).

I’m not sure how deleting profiles that were not active had any impact but that’s what worked. Now time to start creating my profiles one by one from scratch. I’ll be checking after creating each profile if the problem returns, if anything happens I’ll post up here, but if it goes smoothly with no problems I’ll let this thread age off into the sunset.

The only cause I can think of is that I created a “generic” profile that had the basic settings I wanted and then copied it over to create detailed profiles for single, twin, jets, etc. and somehow there was some connection back to something in the baseline setup that was causing a conflict. Why it worked for ~2 years just fine before becoming a problem a few months ago is a mystery to me…

Thanks again to everyone for your ideas and thought put into this, much appreciated.

1 Like