Axis state bar in controller options is not changing when moving the axis on the controller

I just got the Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke and Throttle and in my control options the axis don’t move when I move the controls or search by input. But they do show movement when in sensitivity. Kinda hard to set up this new peripheral like this. So and I to assume that this is a new problem? Because I’ve never experienced this before.

Just hit this problem with a Thrustmaster Hotas One. I have now wasted well over an hour setting up a flight only to find when I pushed back that I can’t steer on the ground, and so have no way to fly.

The sim shows the axis working intermittently, although Windows shows the control is working perfectly 100% of the time. I’ve tried both the rudder control on the throttle (joystick slider x) and the rudder axis on the stick (joystick r-axis z). I’ve also tried assigning both rudder and steering to a single control. NOTHING works.

Flight Simulator highlights the control on the text 100% of the time when it is moved.

In some menu views, it shows the axis state bar moving; in other menu views it won’t move. For example, if I search for the word “steering” in the search by name field, the steering axis state bar won’t move when the axis is moved, but if I find that exact same axis using the assigned filter instead, the axis appears to move normally on the state bar. This is also true for the rudder axis.

(Side note: Another on the endless list of bugs is that the assigned filter doesn’t actually show only assigned fields for the controller, the search box also shows things that don’t match the search phrase, and the two can’t be combined together at all to, say, search for controls that are assigned and contain the word “axis”. But I digress…)

Although it fails in the menu system as noted above, the rudder axis works fine in the sim. But nothing will get the steering axis to move in the sim, not even assigning it to the rudder axis control as well. (If I do that, the rudder pedals move in the sim but the steering doesn’t move even though it’s the exact same axis being moved to control both!!

Neither axis is assigned on any other control, not even the keyboard. And it gets even better, because I had been using a Hotas X until now and have never had any issues, but after unplugging it to give to my son, switching to the Hotas One and setting everything up for that, I switched back to the Hotas X. And despite the profile for that controller not having been changed at all (and there never having been more than one controller attached to the PC), that now won’t work any more either.

And for the second night in a row, I waste multiple hours fighting Flight Sim only to not get to spend any time actually flying and enjoying it.

Can we please, PLEASE stop adding features until all of the many, many, MANY bugs (and especially menu/UI bugs) are fixed? PLEASE?

Does the intermittent reaction stop if, after assigning axis, select save, then exit controller settings, then return to settings?

Was msfs running when you changed joysticks?
My 1st thought after reading you changed from a Hotas x to Hotas one is thst msfs picked up the H1 as being the Hx. It shouldn’t happen, as each has it’s own pid, but because they are almost the same, maybe msfs isn’t taking the usb identifier into account, just seeing Hotas joystick and applying the existing mapping?
Try with both plugged in and set up with their own profile.

I ran across a similar issue with my two saitech throttle quads, where I un plugged both from a powered usb, while msfs was running at the main screen, then back into same ports. But when a new flight was started, the quads were not functioning properly and mappings were incorrectly applied to left and right(as i had named then in custom profiles).

Thinking out loud.
Maybe it’s something to hotas one and hotas x-being for pc and pc/xbox (I dont remember which is which) causing issues?

Nope, the intermittence doesn’t change even if I apply the changes, exit the menu entirely and then go back into it. And no, MSFS was not running when I changed joysticks.

It also definitely knows they’re different joysticks because it shows the actual name for each when connected. (It also pre-assigned buttons on the Hotas One that the Hotas X lacks, which also indicates it knows it’s a different controller.)

Both controllers are set to PC mode. (Hotas X is dual-mode PS3 / PC; Hotas One is dual-mode XBox / PC). And even if it had misdetected the type, it should have worked out of the box as the Hotax X had been working fine, and the two are identical from the PC’s perspective other than the Hotas One having two additional buttons.

Thanks for the suggestions, though!

1 Like

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Yes

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

I have been using SpadNext for a long time to adjust all my controllers (thrusmaster airbus TCA Pilot and TCA quadran, Saitek Rudder pro, Saitek radio panel and multi-panel, X-touch mini) and to have custom profiles for my aircraft automatically when MSFS launches. Everything worked perfectly before the problem in the MSFS controller option. Now I don’t create a new profile in SpadNext: all axes are broken. When I try to select axis in MSFS control option, a button is selected…

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

This is my 2nd post here. After not firing up MSFS for a few days, I decided to go at this problem again. So I disconnected all of my USB devices, rebooted, ran MSFS briefly, exited, re-connected all of my gear. My hope was that MSFS would “forget” all of the devices, but – nope.

ALL of my devices other than my Virpil collective are doing the bad thing – TMW throttle, Virpil joystick, Virpil Shark panel levers, MFG pedals. If I move any of those axes from min to max, the controller button in the controller options dialog will be white until near the center of the axis, when it will briefly turn off, and then go white again as I continue to increase the setting.

All of them behave properly in the Windows USB devices app, and also in the SENSITIVITIES dialog in MSFS. I am not using any third party axis manipulation stuff such as TARGET or Axes and Ohs.

All controllers are directly connected to my Alienware Aurora R9 PC – no hub. And AFAIK nothing has changed, other than the recent system update.

So, to reiterate, I am completely dead in the water until this is addressed. It’s very annoying as I “fly” a lot, or at least I did. Asobo, please do something!!!

1 Like

I never had this issue during the beta – only after the final SU release. And even after that it worked – for a while.

I get the sense that what you’re experiencing is different to the bug that this thread describes.

This bug is just about the visual animation of the axis moving as you manipulate an axis-based control.

The control still works in the sim, it’s just the visual representation of motion in the Controls Options that doesn’t move. In other words, it has no effect on the ability to use the peripheral in the sim.

What you’re describing sounds like a complete failure of your controls to manipulate their axis. That sounds like a more serious issue and unrelated to what this bug describes.

This, too, sounds like a different issue:

Am I wrong here?

My Hotas 4 Thrustmaster has lost it’s ability to Pitch up or down. After mapping it correctly the sim after just a short time ignores it and you lose all control. I’ve removed the sim completely and reinstalled from Steam - same problem (very fundamental, cannot flight at all). It’s as gweilo8888 describes, and seemed to happen after taking the mandatory update to the 40th Anniversary edition. Most msfs2020 bugs you have to live with but this one stops you flighting completely. I’ve just plugged the Hotas Thrustmaster back into the original USB Port and it’s working again, I’ll see if it holds up.

I think this is still related to the same bug. My axis-based control for the paddle are messed up. Doing wired things in the cockpit so I can’t taxi.

Not to get into a spat with you, at all, but the bug was just a visual reference that stopped working. It wasn’t an issue that the sim wasn’t seeing or responding to axis inputs.

You could(can) click on Sensitivities and see the axis’ inputs visually there, even though the axis visualization in the Controls Options wasn’t moving — it was under Sensitivities.

What you’re describing sounds like an issue with your input not being correctly recognized by the sim.

That really sounds like a separate thing to what was originally posted as a bug here. The whole reason I’m pointing this out is, perhaps, you’d find a solution posting elsewhere or even via a new thread more specific to your issue.

It’s ok, I can delete my posting here then

1 Like

I’m glad you posted this. I hadn’t actually tried to use my controllers in the sim beyond testing them in the Controllers dialog for the last two weeks (when the issue originally started), where none of my axes showed movement on the position bar. Well, because of your post, I tried actually flying just now, and I now realize that it’s still doing the same thing that I posted here originally about, where ALL of my axis controllers behave incorrectly in terms of the position bar not moving in the controllers dialog, but all of them except the pedals work in terms of aircraft control.

Now I just need to figure out the pedals deal. Nothing has changed in my setup, other than SU11 as mentioned.

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Yes

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

MSFS version 1.29.30 - CH Products Pedals
Steps to reproduce:

• Start sim
  • Open Options->Controls
  • Select “CH PRO PEDALS USB”
  • Move RUDDER AXIS (Z Axis on pedals). The white bar moves OK
  • Select another joystick (ex. CH THROTTLE QUADRANT USB
  • Change anything and select CH PRO PEDALS USB again
  • The white bar of RUDDER AXIS do not update on axis movement but the “JOYSTICK L-AXIS Z” label change to white color background.
  • Hit ESC and return to main OPTIONS screen
  • Select CONTROLS again
  • Select CH PRO PEDALS USB
  • The white bar of RUDDER AXIS updates OK

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

I am not sure exactly what I did but my controllers are working again. I think that what got things “unstuck” on my pedal axis assignments was assigning other controls to the same axes. I have some levers on my Virpil control box that I don’t really use so one of them was ideal for this.

I have exactly the same issue with my Thrustmaster devices. It fails to scan new input as well.

1 Like

Hello guys.
I have had same problem I guess.
In my case it appeared the visualzation was bad for some reason. I mean controller axis was working but i couldnt see that visually in the controllers menu. Resolved exiting full screen mode (alt+enter) and reshaping the window dragging the borders horisontally/vertically. At some point i started seeing the axis bars.
Before doing that make sure your controller is really working using windows’ Game controller setup tool.

Hope that helps:)

I have the exact same problem. But beside the axis bars are not moving, the flight control surface doesn’t move at all in game, the rudder, the aileron, the elevator, nothing moves at all.

When I tried to set the input again, the setting recognizeed my axes, but they got stuck at the current value of the axes.

I am not sure if this is what “fixed” this issue for me (i.e. me in particular; I’ve seen slightly different symptoms of controller assignment issues), but it seems like assigning the rogue axis (in my case, collective) to another controller resolved it. After this happened I deleted the 2nd assignment and the first one continued to work properly.