B748 Rudder Issue Post 1.16.2.0 Update

`Do you have any add-ons in your Community folder? No

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it? No

Brief description of the issue: Post 1.16.x update, steering in B748 on the ground is impossible

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered: None

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered: Start at any point on ground. Attempt to steer the aircraft under normal thrust for taxi using Logitech pedals which worked perfect prior to 1.16.x update.

PC specs for those who want to assist (if not entered in your profile)

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue: Post 1.16.x update

Are you on the Steam or Microsoft Store version? MS Store

Did you submit this to Zendesk? If so, what is your ticket #? No

Steering is not “impossible”. If that were true there would be millions of complaints of people who cannot turn

Anyone else with real information not just trolling for an argument?

1 Like

I don’t know if this is the sort of ‘real information’ that you are after, since I don’t own Logitech pedals.

However I did just now try steering the 747 on the ground with my Logitech Extreme 3D joystick. I noticed similar behaviour that I have for ages
that the 747 is very hard to steer on the ground when its GS is greater than c 7 kts. It will turn above 7 kts, but with a very poor rate of turn. Above 10 kts there does not currently seem to be a sufficient turn rate to safely exit a runway on to a taxiway that requires a turn of greater than approx 60°.

I have not found this problem limited exclusively to the 747. I find similar turning problems at speeds above 8 or 9 kts with the 787, TBM and SR22 among others. One trick that does help a little is for me to use differential breaking while turning. Thankfully there are key binds for me that will permit me to do this. It may be possible that the pedals you refer to allow differential breaking more easily.

I don’t think mdapol was “trolling for an argument”. However I suspect that there are many others out there who are aware of current limitations in taxiing the 747 on the gorund. I suspect the whole rate of turn issue at greater speeds may need a tweak within the sim.

Haven’t checked the 747 lately, but e.g. on the 787 you must never use more the 75%-80% joystick deflection when turning.
As soon as you apply more rudder, the turn radius starts to decrease.
If that happens I have to straighten out the nosewheel and slooowly feed in up to 80% rudder to achieve a useful turning radius.

1 Like

Just checked the 747 and it works exactly the way as it does with the 787.

That said, full quick deflection isn’t a good idea IRL either

Delta MD-88 Skidding on Takeoff - YouTube

1 Like

Been doing more testing with other models. So far, b748 is the only airplane in the sim with this problem. Ground steer was perfect prior to the 1.16.x update, something clearly changed in the code that adversely affected the b748 specifically.

More testing, not only has this affected steering under normal taxi speeds where turns are near impossible to make with out constant alternating braking / thrust but also there is now a major issue during take off. The sim wanders left or right and rudder doesn’t respond until about 50 percent or more deflected causing over-corrections, oscillating side to side from trying to keep it straight. Again, this definitely wasn’t an issue prior to 1.16.x.

Another taxi issue, when the b748 does experience turning problems, it seems like it is applying brake. It will enter into a frozen state with regard to forward movement, like the parking brake was applied. To fre it, returning the pedals back to neutral won’t work, I actually have to flex the pedal brakes a couple times and the the sim will lunge forward a bit.

No issue found with the other jets in the sim, turbo props seem fine, haven’t checked the smaller models, I suspect they are fine.

Shame, this was a great jet to maneuver and fly. It’s pointless for now with the ‘death wobble’ on take that can start, much less taking so much time now to simply taxi.

I have run through re-calibration of the rudder pedals and brakes multiple times, they check spot on in the Windows devices tool, same in the sim, all linear response, and works spot on with the other models in the sim.

Guess it will be a wait and see with the next round of updates.

Since you are apparently the only one who’s having this problem, this ‘issue’ will be difficult to replicate and hence to ‘fix’.

On the smaller scale, the un-modded C208 also has a wide turning circle at speed. You have to slow quite a bit, though I’ve never recorded exactly what speed that was to perform a 60-90 degree turn acceptably.

The FDM for the 747 says that you get max steering (60°) <5kts and for the 208 it’s <6kts.

1 Like

Can confirm that this does not happen to me. 748 is pretty easy to taxi right now.

Maybe your CG is way too high/forwards?

Thanks, good to see a post other than, ‘it must not be an issue’.

Would you mind sharing with me your fuel (in lbs), total weight and CG that is working for you?

1 Like

For those experiencing this, please use this topic:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/747-is-broken-you-cant-steer-it-on-the-ground/483386