B787 Left Engine not working properly

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

2 tags are required: One for platform, and one for aircraft.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons? If the issue still occurs with no mods and add-ons, please continue to report your issue. If not, please move this post to the Community Support section.

Which aircraft are you reporting an issue about? (Please also add the proper tag for it)

B787

Brief description of the issue:

whether starting on the runway or cold and dark, engine number two / left hand engine starts but will not power up correctly / N1 stays low and it sounds like it’s hunting; I get a pitch / roll asymmetry message on the EICAS. I’ve tried different airports too; since there is no way of turning off system failures I assume it’s a bug; this has started happening since the update yesterday. There is also a ‘Fault’ displayed on the Hydraulic Switches and low oil pressure for engine two on the Eicas.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

’Ready For Take Off’ and ‘Cold and Dark’ produce the same issue.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Ryzen 9 7900x, RTX 4090, 64Gb Ram, Honeycomb yolk and throttle, Thrustmast pedals

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

yesterdays 23/08/23. 1.33.8.0

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

I haven’t noticed this problem at all. Both engines start up fine. Also there are hundreds of videos of people flying the 787 including with the latest update. This suggests that your problem is local and not a bug with the aircraft.

Are you sure you are doing the startup procedure correctly? Have you tried removing ALL mods?

1 Like

Try following the examples using the latest update. I know of at least five examples on YouTube

It’s not a code issue.

Hi, I have started the flight both cold and dark and also ready for take-off. The engine issue is the same either way. It’s running but on full power the N1 stays low, the engine sounds as if it’s hunting and there is a fault lit up on the hydraulic buttons for this engine; it’s very strange!

I will remove all mods (rename the Community folder) and see if that changes the situation; I’ll then add each mod back in one by one to see what might be affecting it; the challenge is that my Community Folder only includes Market Place products so shouldn’t have any affect on the B787 but I’ll give it a try and lay you know.

Pls note that all the purchase made on in-sim Market Place go to OneStore not effecting the Community folder .
Btw, I am facing some problems too on the B787 like on the knob to activate the autobrakes before landing.One flight I can turn it to the desired value (4) and the following flight It doesn’t move as request ,can only turn to RTO. It must be a strange bug that hits many times.Problems also on VNAV but this is an additional problem for a different thread.
No problems on the engines like in your case. So, in my opinion there are many bugs here.

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

I renamed the community folder and the problem still occurs; I now know of other users who are experiencing the same issue as a result of last weeks update.

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

You should compare with them to find what common item you all share that is causing this. I can also provide a list of users who are NOT having your problem since the update.

Just because several people are having the same problem, does not prove there is a systemic bug in the aircraft for everyone.

Last week’s update contained no sim code changes nor any changes to the Boeings. It merely enabled the city update to be downloaded.

I would try without any hardware controllers plugged in and see if you get the same behavior. This sounds like when there is an errant binding (perhaps to electrical power or mixture).

1 Like

I don’t know if you have already found a solution in this forum. I also have the Honeycomb throttles and I also had this problem and read that someone had discovered that it is due to the Honeycomb throttle, but it is very easy to solve.
On a twin-engine airliner, you only use the middle two handles with the honeycomb and park the left and right connectorss, without handle, in the lowest position. You will probably also put the rubber dust protector around this. This lowest position causes interference. You should not lower the left and right (empty) connectors further than the red line below the “Flight Detent” indication next to the left one, the point where you will also encounter some resistance as you push it further down. After that, two engines continue to work properly for me.

Hi Hans; I discovered the problem; not only was the left lever bound to the throttle, it was also bound to the mixture which caused the conflict so I recommend you check all the bindings for your two jet engine setup and make sure there are no spurious bindings!

Very good. Then that is the real solution! Thanks.

I have now removed the bindings from the left one. And now I can put it all the way down again with the dust covers over it. The engine continues to perform well now.
Thanks again.

Good to know Hans!