Baie de somme - Trailer vs reality in MFS

Do we need photoshop to enjoy baie de somme as the trailer shows us ? Or did Asobro forget tree LOD fix and water masks ?

9 Likes
  1. Make sure Bing Map is enabled. It disables sometimes after FS upgrades
  2. Make sure you downloaded the the free France scenery from the Marketplace

Hello, yes for all.
To be sure, check on your sim and tell us i you get the same ?

3 Likes

I can confirm it is not there:

There is also no Marker on the World Map for it. So they might have left it out (probably unintentionally).

1 Like

Yes, the land is also quite different. Something is not as it should be.
I’ve tested it in ultra, all data settings are ON,
My internet connexion is PING 2ms / DOWNLOAD 933.79 Mbps / UPLOAD 599.11 Mbps
I ve asked friend to test => same for everybody and as marcecreal said it is strange to have no point of interest

Bay of Somme neither is listed in the release notes which contain the new POI list.

But I think this shouldn’t be a POI, it’s just water masking missing and it’s by far not the first time that trailers show water masking that do not reflect in the release… Not sure what’s going on here.

2 Likes

Looks like the marketing department went a bit overboard again and tweaked the footage to a level reality can’t deliver. It’s sad in a way …

4 Likes

This wouldn’t be the first case of “bait and switch” where they show us wonderful vistas in trailers but those visuals are nowhere to be found in the version released.

6 Likes

I don’t think they really tweak anything, Asobo said the PR simply uses another version which is further ahead than the release.
At least that was the reasoning behind a lot of missing water masking upon initial release that was visible in a lot of pre-release trailers last year. Not sure how that would make sense for an update which basically should be marketed based on what you actually get.

I simply don’t understand, it sometimes seems like a communication and change-merging chaos going on internally. Stuff is accidentally put in or left out of updates at random.

3 Likes

It doesn’t apply to us, since we already bought it. It certainly does if someone is seeing that promotional video for the first time and buys MSFS based on what they see. They certainly did that to us leading up to the launch last August. It took them until just over a month ago to finally add the visuals they were using to sell the sim with last summer. And if it hadn’t been for all the complaints about it, likely we’d still not have it.

1 Like

Don’t forget that WUs are free aditional content to the sim.
I’m a IFR simflyer, I have decided do not “purchase” and install these packages in fast counter developement. I prefer to keep FPS most as possible.

Maybe this is the Easter-egg showing to people who are wondering whether making an Xbox version would be detrimental to the PC version, that it won’t be at all, on the contrary. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

For testing purposes, I just started from Abbeville.
The landscape seems okay, but actually the baie is not like in the trailer.

Yes it’s not this version !

1 Like

…Xbox…

Have you raised a zendesk ticket for it?

To be honest, now that I see a still picture of the video I think the water masking therein doesn’t look good yet: I really thought at first that some Photoshop amateur had copy&pasted some picture element from a river into an existing FS2020 landscape, as the colours do not match at all (a “light-blue tinted river” vs a more saturated landscape).

And that was probably the reason that this watermasking here was not yet included, because “there’s still work to do”.

The “marketing department” on the other hand probably got a grip of this internal “proof of concept” video clip and used it for the promo video (“Hey, that’s in France, isn’t it? Let’s use it…”). Or there was a deadline not met to polish this scenery to the required quality, and it was pulled from the release branch at last minute, who knows…

But yes, there clearly was a lack of communication between the development and marketing department, or the change was pulled at such short notice that it wasn’t worth to re-edit the trailer… it’s not the end of the world, after all, as we already know that the FS2020 rendering engine is actually capable of such watermask effects (as seen elsewhere in the world) :wink:

I think it’s a problem of the Somme area specifically. I also miss the watermask there but, for example, the Camargue area also shown on the trailer, looks fine and very similar to the trailer.

3 Likes

Water masking gets fixed. I can think of one example in the last couple of months that was rectified, and a sim update was not necessary if I remember right.

Checked with the team. The Baie de Somme’s water masks will be added in an upcoming update.
Thank you for your understanding.

19 Likes