Baro knob action

I fly with realism on full on my current RTW, so you might want to rethink. Also, while expensive, they’re relatively small and light. Google can be your friend. They exist in real life for GA and helis.

How is putting real world gear in a pretend game any different than you turning off crash damage so you don’t pretend die?

Point is… None of this is realistic really, or you would be actually dead from your last crash, and I would have died in 1980 on my Commodore 64. My plane. My money. My choice. You fly your plane. I’ll fly mine.

All these questions are rhetorical, so no need to reply.

1 Like

Calm down :joy:, the reason I’m asking is this post of yours:

It sounded to me like you are using the RA as a replacement for the barometric altimeter, which is up to you but not what we use it for in real life. The only practical purpose of the radio altimeter in real life is input to the (E)GPWS, for confirming position on approach and for the RA minimums on a CAT II/III approach. I have never flow a piston-plane in real life which had RA installed. It could definitely be useful in certain conditions but not as a replacement for the barometric altitmeter.

1 Like

Here’s something else about my set-up for you to complain about.
I’ve assigned a throttle cut to the over-speed warning with Touch Portal. If the warning comes on, the throttle goes to zero. It’s now harder to over-stress the plane.

You fly your pretend plane. I’ll fly mine.

No thank you, I will go and fly my real aircraft, no need to pretend :upside_down_face:.

Have a nice day!

Here’s a modified plane that should be destroyed and the owner chastised because there’s non-standard parts involved.

I love the stuff Mike Patey does. Really looking forward to how Scrappy will perform, and how Draco X will do. Seeing Draco could already take off in a few meters, I expect the new iteration will perform like a helicopter :smiley:

Both airliners and hot-rodded STOL planes are real.
Both representations of them in the sim are pretend planes. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Realism is great and all, but … “I parked my car in the garage last night. It’s in my driveway in the sim this morning. Totally! Unplayable!”. “This one switch doesn’t behave exactly like it does IRL. I want my money back!”

I know that’s not exactly what people here are saying, but still my point: My plane. My choice. Period.

Finally - someone who gets it!!! If you want training, take lessons, or rent time in a Level D full motion facility. As far as I know, the only FAA certified desktop simulator comes from the P3D people and costs more than three months’ rent. Use all the “it’s a simulator, not a game” rhetoric all you want (I’m right there with you!), but it’s still just a video game when you boil it all down. When I fly, I usually have something like an air taxi scenario in my head. Saying that you’re using MSFS for training is only a little more realistic than saying “Call of Duty” is a good substitute for Army Basic Training.

1 Like

Sure, it will never reach the same level as a Level-D FFS but that doesn’t mean you can’t use it for training purposes. I have used X-plane and FSX in my professional career, I found it very useful during type ratings for example, if there is a “study-level” plane available for the type I was training for I would buy it and use it to practice flows and procedures. For IFR procedure training it is also excellent. I have never used any PC flight simulator to enhance flying skills, it is just is too far away from the real deal, the sensation is missing, there is no force feedback etc. I do think however that it is possible to learn the very basics of flying on a PC flight simulator (not applicable to MSFS, the flight model is too flawed)

It depends what you are looking for really, some are looking for realism, some are interested in the graphics and fly over their own house, all fine. I do think Asobo should try to make the product as realistic as possible even though it will never fully simulate the real deal (spoiler alert, even Level-D simulators don’t). It is no excuse to have things fundamentally flawed and based on assumptions. The baro-set knob is just one example of this. They should make it as close to reality as possible, they can always “dumb things down” for people not interested in accurate physics.

I like being on the same page with someone. Been flying this sim since subLogic owned it. I’m under no illusion that this is anything but a game. An incredibly detailed and immensely fun game, though. Oddly enough, some of the skills acquired in this game transfer to real life. Five years after I started “playing”, I actually took a plane from the runway to 500’, and did a 360° turn that stayed within 50ft of original altitude. It was either beginner’s luck or knowing how the machine worked.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.