Be careful what you ask for

I just tried the newly released G3000 mod. It has a lot of great features. I really liked it. But, those features require a lot more computations, so there is a price to be paid. The price as you can imagine came in the form of a 20+ fps loss. So, at sometime in the future if Asobo ‘does’ add a lot of functionality, I think they should be cognizant of optimization. This sim could easily change from a sim that people with a moderate system can run, to a sim that only very high end systems can run. As long as I was flying high, there was not too bad of an impact. But, the instant i went low to enjoy some scenery, my fps was impacted to the point where it was not enjoyable.

Now, I’m not talking about bugs at all…these need to be addressed. Everything should work. But, if we add any enhancements, we must be aware of the fps impact. If these type of features are added, there should be an item in the settings where it is optional. This way, it is there for those who can afford the high end system, but for those who cannot will be able to toggle the enhancement ‘off’ so that the majority of the community can still enjoy the sim. I know a lot of people that have to run on low graphic settings to get an enjoyable experience. If we are not careful, we could change the sim from one where the majority of people can run, to a sim that only very high end systems can run.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s a good point as you simply just can’t have a slider to adjust the depth of adjustments for something like the G3000 …maybe they could have it as a setting but dang how frustrating that would be knowing the functionality is there but you can’t using because it crushes your fps

I don’t know if they could put buttons to enable each feature or not. That might be a lot. But, in this case, I liked all of the features, but there were none that I couldn’t do without. I removed the whole mod. Credit to the programmer who did it. But, i would rather do without and have a smooth experience. I just think that in future requests that this is kept in mind. And on some enhancements we have the option to opt in or out.

Previously in FSX I think Carenado had a standard and light version of their planes. Might be a way forward.

Yes… I just don’t want to see a situation where people bought the sim and can run it and then it evolve into something they are no longer able to enjoy. I still think Asobo needs to deliver on their promises and fix bugs… it’s just the enhancements we need to be cautious what we ask for. And ask them if they can make the high end optional.

Light/standard(highend) …bug free, yes.

The title applies to weather too. People complain about constant clear weather so now there’s lighting storm everywhere. People complain about the wind bug and now it’s crazy turbulence all over. Maybe if people continue to complain about lack of realism soon you have to refine your own jetfuel in the game.

2 Likes

?? :thinking:

Huh?? an avionics mod caused a loss of FPS? That really shouldn’t be the case.

2 Likes

To drive a graphical MFD, PFD, and touch-screen? Yeah, there’s lots going on to draw all that. :small_airplane: :smile_cat:

Upgrade to COBOL coming along in a future patch. :wink:

1 Like

It’s not so much the graphical update as there is not a lot of added graphic updating… it is all of the calculations going on in the background it takes to update the MFD/PFD.

Don’t get me wrong… my hat is off to the programmer… they are genius with what they are doing. But, there is only so much you can do with the computer horsepower you have. I love the mod. But, it is just like your money budget… you have to be very stingy with where you spend to keep your finances balanced. It is the same with where you want to spend in this sim. There is a finite amount of computing power, so you have to consider where you want to spend.

This is what happens when you stack APIs on top of APIs on top of APIs until 3/4 of what you are running is nothing but poorly optimized boilerplate API code to run your application.

The glass cockpits are drawn using CoherentnGT which is a library intended to draw a few static items like health, ammo counters, etc over a first person shooter. It’s being used for something totally outside of what it was intended for.

The UI on a G1000 is not that complex. In real life the unit is running on an embedded microcontroller with probably a fraction of the computational power of a modern PC. But with all the bloat of modern programming languages and APIs, the method Asobo has chosen to replicate it brings our sims to their knees.

A true modern sim should have had a modular architecture where the glass display was running in a totally separate thread using some type of asynchronous message passing back and forth to the main simulator thread. The main sim thread should never wait on the glass displays.

15 Likes

All I know is that this is a processing monster, and you are combining that with server bandwidth. There is a lot to consider… so optimization is critical.

I saw absolutely no decrease in FPS with the G3000 mod. Used it on a 900 NM flight with the TBM930 this afternoon and it went as smoothly as possible. This doesn’t strike me as accurate.

2 Likes

I will have to try it again. I use the same city and elevation to test this. I could be wrong. Also, this could be unique to my system. I will install the addon again and see how it goes.

When I mentioned optimization before, a large group of players came out to criticize me, so that I gave up any reasonable suggestions on this forum.

Interesting. Wasn’t aware of this mod. Might give it go and see what happens with performance. A 20 fps hit is a big no though. That’s 50% assuming you have your sim set to maintain 40-50s.

Not to be argumentative, , but in almost every forum for every game or simulation there are a multitude of threads that scream for better “optimization”. But when pressed by what they mean, since most haven’t looked at the actual source code they have no concrete suggestions on how to “optimize”. So the whole optimization argument becomes like the famous quote on the definition of ■■■■0graphy (<—-to get past the censorship algorithms:-) ) - “ I can’t describe it, but I know what it is when I see it”

My programming days are back in the ‘80s and ‘90s so am not an expert or even conversational on current development environments, but I always wonder what actual concrete coding suggestions the masses have to “better optimize” what ever the subject code is their focus at the time.

So the lack of suggestions to your call for optimization is not going unheeded, but without actually having access to the source is difficult to have reasonable suggestions on how to proceed.

3 Likes

I couldn’t agree more… let the professionals work their magic. They’ll get it sorted out eventually.