Beech 2000 Starship "Coming Soon"!

Mod Edit: Title typo corrected to support future search requests.

Watch all the way to the end for a sneak peek. I LOVE the Starship. First day buy for me…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddcaq1wU5hg&list=WL&index=24&ab_channel=JustFlight

4 Likes

Ah, a shame because Rara-Avis was going to be doing one too. They already had to scrap their Ryan NYP after Asobo announced they’d be releasing one of their own. I hope Black Square at least creates a custom soundset for the Starship, unlike the stock Extra 330 sounds they used for the Velocity XL. Looks amazing though for sure!

1 Like

I would love to see the Starship redesigned in real life and brought up with the latest manufacturing techniques and such. It is truly an aircraft that was ahead of its time and I can’t help but wonder what the overall design itself would have to offer if given the attention of a major manufacturer today.
Wishful thinking I know but that aircraft sure was beautiful.

It’s not like there’s a rule against having multiple aircraft of the same type. In fact, there’s plenty of reasons to have several. For example, some people would want a decent looking Starship… and be willing to pay 30 euros for one. Others like myself would like a full study level, all singing and dancing, Starship. And I’d happily pay 100 euros for something of Fenix A320 quality level.

That said, while this probably won’t be as good as I’d want it to be, I’ll probably still pick it up - because I like to encourage developers to make unusual, niche aircraft.

2 Likes

Hope i good remember,

something very similar at justflight store??? Not starship exactly…

1 Like

Wow finally someone is creating the Starship!

And this is the reason I won’t tell what projects I’m working on since the Ryan NYP, I’m a sole developer so things take a lot longer to do unlike some of the other devs which have a team and can make a quick turn around.

2 Likes

Great news, I hope the P180 EVO is not to far away :wink:

Understandable. I do look forward to whatever you do next!

1 Like

The Velocity XL might be what you’re thinking of, it’s a single engine pusher design. The same developer, Black Square, made it.

Beech 2000 Starship -

be careful what you wish for !!

With all those Glass Instruments, imagine the insanely slow FPS !!! – assuming MSFS could even support all that Glass !!

Interesting video … and move for a scenery designer, to jump into Gauge development.

Looking forward to the release (when ? Post SUX ?), and seeing what they have come up with.

ie Just the Gauge switch – I assume in the Video, all those animation shots were just to add Dramatic Content, from looking at more old Analgue gauges,

BTW : love the old Analogue gauges, if they do not look too Digital in operation - always a danger when Computer generated.

I was in contact with the designer of the interior he gave me lots of info on the Starship also a possible deal with beechcraft for licensing, I hope they do it justice because its a beautiful machine.

I assume you are referring to the designer of the real World Starship

Sometimes , reading posts on this forum, it becomes difficult to tell if people are talking real world or MSFS.

ie: I was flying a c172 out of KMTN yesterday, and my Radio failed and I could not hear ATC.

Real World failure, or MSFS Bug ??

Yes real world designer

1 Like

Cool … an interesting person to know and be able to chat with !!!

As much as I love the Starship, I don’t think it was ahead of it’s time. It was a very costly experiment that tried to incorporate too much innovation into a single project to be viable in a competetive market.
In essence you got an aircraft that was almost as expensive but still much slower than a business jet, and also slower AND more expensive than an Avanti, and more expensive and only marginally faster than a traditional twin turboprop. Apart from its looks the Starship didn’t stand out much when it came to performance despite its carbon fibre fuselage and canard layout (which incidentally gave it a very high stall speed).
And then there was the maintenance. There must have been a reason why Beechcraft stopped support for the Starship and tried to get as many of them dismantled as possible. I wonder what problems may lurk beneath or within its carbon fibre hull.

1 Like

Yes I completely agree with you.
Disclaimer: The following would never happen in today’s aviation world.
I was actually thinking bigger. A complete overhaul of the design that keeps only the basic planform and power plants.
A switch to an aluminum from the overbuilt composite on the original.
A comprehensive weight savings initiative taking place with a redesigned interior that takes advantage of more modern seats, bulkheads and sidewall design practices.
A comprehensive engineering review that removes weight, simplifies the design and reduces failure rates by incorporating modern components for things like controllers and actuators.
An aerodynamic engineering review to incorporate the latest advances in flow design.
Avionics improvements to take advantage of the latest technology of course.
The above list would result in a massive savings in the empty weight of the aircraft and go a long way towards improving performance and reducing the maintenance requirements of the aircraft.
It could happen with enough money, I have watched aircraft go through similar processes in the course of my career with downright shocking results.
Would that result in something that could compete with the Avanti? Probably not except in the one category that counts more than you might think when it comes to selling aircraft. The Starship is a really good looking aircraft and the wow factor on the ramp might make it an attractive choice.
Again, as stated above, none of this would happen in a million years and is really nothing but nostalgic wishful thinking on my part.

1 Like

My guess is from the truly study level standard they are setting with the Analog upgrades for the King Air and Caravan, they are planning on having it be as good as those in terms of realism. To that I say good luck, to see that AMS-850 avionics suite fully and accurately represented would make me so incredibly happy. I’ve got an affinity for CRT screens and to have 14 in one cockpit would be amazing.

The measures you describe - particularly changing to aluminum - would probably mean practically designing the aircraft from scratch. Especially redesigning those elaborate wings would be hugely expensive. In today’s aircraft, designing the wings is the most expensive part.
I guess that’s one of the main reasons the canard concept has never truely taken off outside the military.
Piaggio did a smart thing by using a standard wing design and T-tail with vertical stabilizer with elevator. Kind of best of both worlds and considerably cheaper to build. Still extremely efficient.
It’s really a pity. The bragging rights on the tarmac for owning a Starship that actually could do a 350kt cruise efficiently would definitely be worth a few extra quid over the Avanti. I mean the cooler name alone …

1 Like