Beech Bonanza V35 AP Alt selector and functionality problem

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

No

Brief description of the issue:

I expect bug with AP panel ALT and also with ALT selector and wrong functionality as initial select of expected hold altitude. After press ALT button on AP (1.) at expected altitude hold, ALT selector (2.) sets this wrong very high altitude but AP holds expected actual click altitude ok. I have also next bug from initial set of expected altitude with Altitude selector. I pre-select expected altitude with selector and ARM it. After t/o and after set good V/S rate, AP doesn’t hold this pre-selected altitude after reach and continue climbing. On next sets as different altitudes pre-selected and armed system working ok.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

As above.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

I8700, GTX1070Ti, 32GB 2666 RAM, SSD.

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

I just tried this. Climbed to 2000ft, then hit ALT twice, and it kept me at 2000.

I then hand flew to over 3000ft. A single tap of ALT tries to take me back down to 2000, a second press then captures my current altitude and holds it.

I didn’t see this FL995 thing you saw.

Hello,

no, this isn’t same as I did. As I said, I prepared my flight at ground, preselect Altitude on selector for first as my expected climb altitude, armed it and did t/o. After reach that pre-selected altitude, aircraft didn’t stop and climb further, therefore I’ve set that ALT AP button to hold actual altitude, then this high altitude apears on altitude pre-selector. After this, all is working ok on next settings, changes with altitde and V/S as I remember. Only first work did this prblem like wrong init of code maybe. Thank you for your test.

1 Like

So, on the runway, I set 2000ft, and press ARM. Doesn’t appear to do anything, and no indication on the AP. I’ll still need to press ALT once to get it to take me to 2000 then level off.

After takeoff I press ALT a single time, and it actually captures the current altitude.

But I’m still not seeing this FL995 you are seeing.

Tried again, but this time I pressed the AP button, then ARM. This does get ARM to appear, but then its adjusted the trim wheel for me on the ground.

AP enabled, HDG mode only, climbing to 2000:

2000ft reached, and AP ALT mode automatically enabled:

I must be missing a step as I’m not seeing it.

Maybe some video footage of you seeing it?

1 Like

Ok.

I expect no ALT button to click to go to that expected altitude. ALT button sets actual altitude as Hold altitude. To climb to expected altitude is expected to pre-select altitude, ARM it and then after t/o set AP and expected V/S. After reach expected altitude, AP needs hold it and set ALT indication ON as actual option set. As I said again in my initial post, after this first wrong functionality, all then is working as expected and no that high altitude is shown, also after click ALT at any altitude it holds and shows correct actual. I see this simply as bug inside code, same and close to similar GNS initial value of GPS/VLOC switch selected, you need reselect it at first init time to working properly :slight_smile:

One logical thing (I’m programmer so no worry), if this kind of wrong and not expected value appears on that alt pre-selector then is clear that some not handled situation in code is there, for sure.

Folks, please download the Bendix/King KAS297 manual from the B/K site. I think it will answer many of your questions.

Long story short, I set on the KAS297 target altitude, then VS rate, then ARM.

As long as I’m already in AP on the KAP panel (the other panel), the aircraft will climb/descend and then level off.

2 Likes

From what I saw, you cannot ARM the altitude without first pressing AP. If you use the altitude preselector, and press ARM it does nothing. If you press AP first, then press ARM, the selected altitude is armed, and the autopilot will take you to that altitude, up or down. ARM without AP does nothing.

So what I would do is set the altitude to what I want, then after take off, press AP, then ARM.

This is what I saw, yes. AP on was a necessary step to ARM the altitude.

2 Likes

ok friends thank you for clarify AP first needed to be ON to have first ARM of altitude functional.

Then that my high altitude is bug with no first AP set but ARM and then after pass my expected altitude (and nothing) click on ALT button (AP is ON at this time), this big altitude value appears. every time can confirm this. This is what I want report.

1. on ground and with init flight (no previous or continue) set destination altitude and click ARM.
  2. t/o
  3. set AP ON, HDG if needed.
  4. click V/S and change rate as required (up), no problem all is ok here
  5. after passing expected altitude aircraft continue further
  6. click now ALT and this big value appears to me, but only for this (first) time, after that all other changes are functional. On other side as I said, with this click ALT aircraft holds this actual clicked altitude.

I believe AP required ON is reflecting real world operation.

I think the best order of actions is still the following:

1. Set target altitude first.
  2. Set VS rate next.
  3. Arm to activate the altitude change.

I saw this in a separate post here by other users of the V35, so this is shaping up as best practice.

1 Like

Yes,

I understand and thank you for this but my report is about that strange altitude value set on pre-selector after click ALT button. This value shows only one time and after that no problems and this altitude never appears.

That number rang a bell. I’m sure I’d read that before. If you search the forums for that you will find exactly two posts for “99900”, and both of them related to the autopilot.

From that I suspect it is not the plane, but something in the AP logic that you are triggering. There are some other references to “99000”, but again all to do with the AP, and altitude capture.

Another post suggests this could be because a couple of values might not be set in the planes “systems.cfg”, which are encrypted and therefore unavailable to check…unless those values can read by SimConnect.

https://docs.flightsimulator.com/html/Content_Configuration/SimObjects/Aircraft_SimO/systems_cfg.htm?rhhlterm=max_altitude_ref&rhsearch=max_altitude_ref

max_altitude_ref

Sets the maximum altitude (in ft) that can be set in the Autopilot.

Defaults to 99900.

Thnx.

this is clear that I’ve also same bug as other have. What is strange, I have never discovered this on other aircraft, I’ve bought Bonanza (I did many hundred hours before with this V version) and after some flights I have this experience. Simply, this problem is looks like with ALT pre-selector, on other side I miss this on Seneca where this Altitude pre-selector is normal expected device. Hope carenado will include it later.

1 Like

My biggest problem with the V35B is that the trim wheel with mouse or controller is unusable.

Please open a #community-support thread for trim, this is a thread specific to the Autopilot function. Thanks.

I have the strange AP behavior too. Here is what happens:
Spawn on runway
Alt reads 0,000 FT

Press AP ENG to engage AP
Press ALT
Alt reads 99,900 FT

Spin Altitude Select knob CW one click
Alt jumps to 50,000 FT

Press AP ENG to release AP
Press ALT
Alt reads 99,900 FT

To set an altitude of say 3000 feet I have to spin it CW one click and then spin it down from 50,000 feet.

1 Like

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

2 tags are required: One for platform, and one for aircraft.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons? If the issue still occurs with no mods and add-ons, please continue to report your issue. If not, please move this post to the Community Support section.

Yes

Which aircraft are you reporting an issue about? (Please also add the proper tag for it)

V35B Bonanza

Brief description of the issue:

Autopilot Altitude mode has strange behavior making it difficult to use.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Alt reads 99900

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Spawn on runway
Alt reads 0,000 FT
Press AP ENG to engage AP
Press ALT
Alt reads 99,900 FT
Spin Altitude Select knob CW one click
Alt jumps to 50,000 FT
Press AP ENG to release AP
Press ALT
Alt reads 99,900 FT

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

High spec PC with GTX3080ti card

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

All since release of aircraft (1.32.7.0)

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Hello,

after long time and also my same report, looks like carenado doesn’t bother with this, as usually.

I know.

Sad, because it really is a nice plane but it has a few issues that need to be fixed.

1 Like

Autopilot completely broken. Altitude / VS doesn’t work and Carenado couldn’t be bothered.
ARM light never comes on.

Yes

The confusion within this thread is related to whether or not the user has the WT GNS 530 Add-on installed or not. If it is not installed, then the AP and ALT hold functions as expected. If it is installed, it will break the KAP 150’s functionality significantly.

Here is a video of the KAP 150 being operated on the ground when the WT GNS 530 Add-on is not installed. Note how the KAP 150 head unit will light up with the various mode annunciators as the buttons are pressed. Note the BC button operates and makes an audible clicking sound. Note, too the KAS 297 doesn’t display 99,900, either.

Untitled video - Create and share your videos with Clipchamp

Here’s another video when the WT GNS 530 Add-on is installed. Note, the KAP 150 head unit no longer illuminates its annunciators when the various mode buttons are pressed. Note the BC button is not “pressing in” or making an audible clicking sound when clicked. Note, too, the KAS 297 unit will display 99,900.

Untitled video - Create and share your videos with Clipchamp

This is a Microsoft aircraft being broken by a Microsoft avionics improvement to the sim. This needs to be fixed, please.

5 Likes