Beechcraft 17 Staggerwing

Looks like we’re getting the Beechcraft 17 Staggerwing on March 1 instead of the Antonov AN-2 (I believe it’s a licensing issue). I am more excited for the Staggerwing to be honest. I don’t know much about it except that is looks amazing.

I suppose we’ll be getting the older fixed gear version. Does anyone have any more info on it?

1 Like

And you heard this where? It’s Carenado bringing their FSX version to MSFS so it has retractable gear

It’s been featured during the last Dev Q/A Developer Q&A Twitch Series: January 26th, 2022 - YouTube (start at 15min20s).

The latest development update: https://msfs-cdn.azureedge.net/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/DR_2022_02_24-updated.jpg

sharp eyes! I skimmed over and completely missed that

My understanding is the only fixed gear Staggerwing built were three of the protoypes, 17R, the A17F and the A17FS .

Good, well I hope we get the retractable gear version, because it sure is sleek. However, have any of the special Asobo planes had retractable gear yet?

I believe the Staggerwing is being made by Carenado. I wonder if it will have their EFB?

1 Like

Gratuitous random video about restoring a couple of Staggerwings.

Hopefully they do a proper startup:

1 Like

The Staggerwing has always been one of my favs. And the Cessna 195. Gorgeous airplanes. I have had the pleasure to see them both fly at airshows… what a treat. I don’t know what the modelling will be like, but hopefully they are good representations.

Well, Carenado is making it, and they are well known for incredible modeling.

A 195 would spectacular. I am surprised no one has it in production.

Greatly looking forward to it as it’s been one of my most desired aircraft since the sim came out.

Don’t know where the idea they’re doing a fixed gear version came from though, since retractable gear models made up the overwhelming preponderance of those produced and Carenado already did a retractable gear model for previous sims.

I don’t really know the aircraft that well, so didn’t know its history. The fixed gear mention came from me, but now that I’ve researched a bit, I see most were retractable.

Screenshots from the streams clearly show it’s the a retractable gear version: https://msfsaddons.com/2022/02/25/carenados-beechcraft-staggewing-is-coming-to-msfs-next-week/

Since the retractable gear D17 was the definitive model of which the most were made and the most still flying, a lot of people (me included) would be slightly irked if they made anything else. Although I wouldn’t object to them doing a fixed-gear A17FS in addition

I thought the fixed gear was the original with 400hp engine. Beech stepped it down to 225hp with retractable gear and made the plane more affordable. These numbers may not be totally accurate because it’s off the top of my head. It would be something of this one had the 400 hp.

I was under the impression the most popular model of the Beech 17 had the Wasp Junior with 450 hp.

1 Like

Carenado produced a D17 Staggerwing for P3D and Xplane with a retractable undercarriage - https://www.carenado.com/sitecarenado/?s=Staggerwing

Presumably they are using this as the basis for the new version.

I had the P3D version and it it was a lot of fun.

Same here, a beautiful plane that flew nicely and I don’t remember it having any serious faults.

I’ll wait and see how the new one turns out before buying though after the problems with the ‘Local Legends’ Ju 52 and Fokker FV.II. But Carenado have been doing a pretty decent job so far in MSFS so I’m cautiously optimistic for this ‘Famous Flyer’.

1 Like

Likewise but as a single engine I am hoping it is priced at a third of the JU52 and so is a “pocket money purchase”! :crossed_fingers:

A third the price? $5? No way. I have a feeling Asobo is going to stick with their $15/aircraft for their special add-on planes.

I am sure you are right - it was just a light-hearted expression of hope in these darkening times! :wink: