Beechcraft bonanza difficult to ascend

Beechcraft bonanza difficult to ascend, though I put the throttle in full, propeller in full and mixture in full.

If live weather, what are the reported winds?

2 Likes

Could it be icing? I’ve noticed icing building up on the aircraft while on the ground and when trying to take off, the icing on the prop and airframe make that almost impossible.

I’ll preface this with, “I haven’t used the Bonanza” that’s in the sim. If it’s a model that actually uses mixture control, you need to lean the mixture as you climb to help maintain max available RPM.
Regards

How high are you when the climb starts to taper off? Does it have trouble climbing just after takeoff too? You may need to lean the mixture if departing from a high-altitude airport. Set the parking brake, go to full power, then lean the mixture and see if the manifold pressure increases. If it does, too rich of a mixture is more than likely the culprit. Leaning is required in an airplane with a naturally aspirated engine.

1 Like

Airport of Tahiti, 5 feet high. Trouble to climb from 4000 feet.

Let’s consider climb rate.

In the V-Tail Bonanza my initial climb will be something like 7-800fpm, around about the 4000 mark I’ll back it off to around 500fpm for a few minutes or so, then settle at around 300 after if targeting let’s say 10,000 cruise Alt. Something in effect to that works well for me and I keep up a healthy climb speed without the poor engine labouring so hard.

I just wonder if you’re climbing beyond its capabilities, there’s only so much you can ask of it, especially as you get higher.

I fly the V-tail in VR…. Stunning

you need to start leaning the mixture from around 3000ft, just lower it slowly until the RPM reaches a new max

The Bonanza, all variants, needs to be “leaned out” almost from sea-level - the POH says to lean it a little before take-off - but most all naturally aspirated aircraft need leaning above 3000ft.amsl. Even more so if it’s hot.
I lean out roughly as I climb but once settled in cruise I use the built-in system; on the MFD click on the engine soft key and it will show you a “lean” facility. Pull the mixture slowly back until the EGT peaks then push it back for a reduction of 5deg C or 10deg F. This is called “rich of peak” or ROP and is designed to run the engine efficiently without danger of overheating or damage if you try to lean it too much.

I try what you say, and it works; althougt the climb was a little slowly.

1 Like

I’ve found that climbing the Bonanza is best done as a cruise climb after the initial terrain clearance. Around 140 knots seems to work okay.

1 Like

I flew a Beech Debonair which is basically a straight tail Bonanza. Once you take off and have started the climb back the manifold pressure down to 25 inches and the prop to 2500 RPM. This according to the manual that I used should give you the most efficient climb.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Exactly the thing I forget to mention. I found a forum for real life Bonanza pilots soon after I got the V-Tail and this was the general idea I saw. This is the cruise climb settings if I’m not mistaken? Also backing off another hundred or so when getting to say 8,000.