Beechcraft King Air 350i - ILS Landing - Any Good Current Youtubes?

I’m a noob on the King Air 350i - can someone please recommend me a good up to date Youtube that details all the steps for an ILS landing using the in-game flight plan?

I’ve tried to follow a couple of videos and it hasn’t worked for me. The videos were made in 2020 so I’m wondering if they’re out of date somehow? Both said to select “FMS” as the CDI source but I didn’t have that option, just GPS & VOR - hence why I’m wondering if they’re out of date or not.

Aircraft lines up for the final approach as per the GPS track, I activate APR mode, check CDI source is LOC1, but no capture of glide slope etc.

Anyway, if someone can point me in the right direction for a current Dummies Guide to ILS landings in the Beechcraft King Air 350i that would be great. :sweat_smile:

P Gatcomb is a very instructive Youtuber. He has a ton of videos reviewing G1000 and 3000, and instruction videos for ILS/LOC and RNAV.

FlightInsight is another one.

The key is to be at or below the required altitude at the Final Approach Fix point. If you’re above the Glideslope, you’ll never start a guided descent.

You should also be using the Working Title version of the G3X that’s on the King Air. It’s markedly better than the stock Asobo verions, albeit it doesn’t hold a candle to how Working Title has transformed the G1000 into the NXi. Unfortunately, the G3X will likely be on the tail end of the upgrade roadmap, but not dead last now that WT revealed they’re also going to be working on the 430/530 series.

1 Like

Before putting your life in the hands of a questionable You Tube video, may I suggest starting with basics.

Once you have decided which approach you would like to practice on, Find a copy of the approach chart for it. If you do not have ready access thru Navigraph or some other provider, Google the “approach chart” for the airport and runway. ex: “approach chart CYVR 26R ILS”.

There is information on that plate that is required to have any success flying an ILS approach. Look for the IAF and FAF on the plate note the names of the waypoints and compare them to your flight plan so you know when to expect to be intercepting them. The critical information is the Altitude at those points. No matter what ATC or your “FMS” says, you MUST be at or below those targets when crossing them. It is equally important that you have your altimeter setting correct so that your altitude is as accurate as possible.

Once you have that information, it is simply a case of arriving at the IAF at the correct altitude and turning toward the FAF. Descend to the FAF altitude if required and keep the LOC aligned once captured. As you pass the FAF you should see the glide slope indicator slide down to center. Begin your descent and keep that pipper locked in.

If you want to cheat, :wink: , and let the AP do the heavy lifting, as long as the APR mode is armed as you intercept the localizer the rest should just “happen”. Watch your speed, make sure you are slowed to approach speed as soon as the LOC is locked in. A stable approach is the key to success, particularly when on AP. A good pilot can anticipate the changes in configuration during approach. The AP can only react, and things can get out of hand in a hurry in that last 1/2 NM.

Good luck. Be precise.

1 Like

I have multiple tutorials on my channel that cover ILS approaches. I am a professional pilot and do YouTube for a hobby. There are lots of videos you may find useful besides ILS approaches and there are tutorials on almost every kind of approach, navaid, and more. - thecorporatepilotdad - YouTube

Good luck. You can direct message me on here or comment on YouTube if you have questions.

1 Like

Many thanks for all the replies, I will go through all the suggestions.

I’ll be googling how “Working Title” fits into the scheme of things as well.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.