Bell 407 - Cyclic Incorrectly Affects Torque

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

No. Not relevant. I only have FlyingIron & WorkingTitle modules installed.

Brief description of the issue:

With engine on, throttles at full. Push cyclic forward and note the torque reading increases. Pull cyclic back and note torque reading also increases. This is not correct. Cyclic does not change torque that dramatically, only collective controls torque. I suspect this is involved in why helicopter looses lift too dramatically when hovering.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

1. Start Helicopter. Move throttle to full.
  2. While on the ground, push cyclic forward, note the increase in torque on the meter
  3. While on the ground, push cyclic backward, note the increase in torque on the meter
    The torque reading and lift component should not be affected by cyclic movement.

Only translational movement and cyclic collective pitch adjustment should be affecting torque.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Thrustmaster 16000 HOTAS
I verified my axis bindings and the joystick is not bound to any axis other than elevator / rudder
Throttle is bound only to collective in test configuration.

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

40th Anniversary

*** :spiral_notepad: Additional Notes***

I am not a Bell 407 SME. Please reach out to a type-rated SME to verify the above bug report. I am reporting this bug based on how other helicopters operate, and I suspect the 407 also operates. Verification by SME is required. Thank you. :slight_smile:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

yes

original description is accurate. I am a B407 SME.

2 Likes

Same issue. B407 is flyable only with significant frustration.

Push cyclic forward (for best results…any direction works). Note very strong right yaw.

Also, lateral cyclic is considerably weaker than longitudinal cyclic. (ie, roll rate much less than pitch rate in hover)

I duplicated the bug noted. Torque varies greatly with only a small cyclic variation. And this may be the related to the problem I reported in another area of this forum, where I noticed the torque was varying without any control inputs at all, while just sitting on the ground. In that case the helicopter would fly up off the ground and if I managed to control it then I could not reduce collective with joystick and could only reduce torque by pressing F2.

This all started about March 1, and I think there was one or more updates around that time.