Best examples of Photogrammetry in MSFS?

Pittsburgh is good and has a decent amount of natural terrain to follow flying VFR.

1 Like

HELP :ring_buoy: Oh manā€¦ itā€™s not just Boiseā€¦ something has happened on my PC today and ALL photogrammetry - even mods installed to my disk - seem to just be staying in the lowest detail (furthest LOD state) for ever. And terrain near them is messed up in places (like things are too low or high, water creeping and sunken buildings). I have no idea what to even search for to find an answer to this one!

Tried removing all mods (totally empty community) and itā€™s the same.

Any ideas guys?!

Examples

Iā€™m arriving into San Francisco in about an hour, ill check the scenery thereā€¦

Haā€¦

Hey Brotherā€¦ itā€™s not just you. KBOI is my home airport IRL and in MSFS. The sim runs horrible mods or not around Boise and has for a long time for me. PG has melted buildings blobs for trees, etc all over the place. There is nothing I can do to make it look decent.

In addition, performance is horrible with stutters like crazy no matter what aircraft I try even with my new fancy high(er) end PC.

Iā€™ve also noticed some unusual wonky LOD issues today so Iā€™m thinking there might also be a server issue adding to the already less than ideal environment.

Server shouldnā€™t affect a PG mod Iā€™ve downloaded from fs.to though, should it? I seem to have suddenly just terrible LoD loading. Terrain is morphing a lot, water in wrong places etc so itā€™s not ONLY photogrammetry. Even Australia looks bad now and I know that is some of the clearest.

I was flying around Boise this afternoon in the F/A-18 and everything looked great. Iā€™ve never actually been there but wouldnā€™t mind going there now!

Sorry about your sim settings - I hope you get it figured out quickly.

Dont want to spoil the fun but this place, does it start with a letter K and ends with an A

Yeah that was what i had in my mind, the daintree rainforest at kuranda

Sorry to read about your trouble, i know your the guy who knows and helped with advice to others for network problems so i guess you have checked this already.
So i will try to look from other troubleshoot idea.

Did you use rolling cache if you did maybe your cache file get corrupted or did you switched dx11 and dx12 accidently, this might get things corrupted
Or perhaps switched terrain lod by accident
Sometimes when i get into general setting and just look to my settings there and not change anything it still asks me if i want to save or discard new settings i always discard, but when unaware its easy to choose save accidently.

Hope you find something you were not aware to to resolve the issue or worse problem.

Sorry for that OT guys - still no luck fixing it this morning (yeah, I tried all your suggestions in that post already) :frowning:

Oh!! Well, I am not sure, I thought it was part of Cairns. I just found it randomly - donā€™t know if it has a special name. Quite likely though, yes!!

I only found it by searching aerial imagery in the Windows Maps. I enjoyed the challenge for a change pace.

I had really bad scenery in an aera I knew was good but it only lasted one day. I wouldnā€™t go to any great lengths to fix it because your PC/installation probably has nothing to do with it. Check your settings and reboot is all I can say.

Windy City!

2 Likes

I found another small but wonderful photo area, itā€™s near CYYJ in Victoria, Canada. I had a nice flight there today in the Asobo 172 with WB-Sim realism package (fantastic mod, itā€™s Skyhawk Mania around here right now). Began my journey in KPAE on a beautiful, clear day, and meandered over the San Juan Islands on my way. The nice thing about this area is that the trees and geological landscape looks stunning, they added details to natural features as well. There are lots of cool buildings, and the airport has three runways so you can practice landing all kinds of ways (I swapped a nice headwind for a moderate crosswind just for fun). Itā€™s nice to know that this wonderful place is indeed just a hop away from my home IRL.

Also need to add a word about the Skyhawk, because adding the realism and sound mods have elevated one of the best models in the game, to the very top shelf. Iā€™ve never experienced the Skyhawk quite like this. They say itā€™s ā€œnearā€ study-level, itā€™s pretty darn close. Iā€™ve learned so much since Iā€™ve started flying it, since it makes you pay closer attention to everything. I did manage to foul the engine pretty badly on one of my first flights, then I had the battery die (press the ā€œinopā€ circuit breaker to recharge). Having to take care of it really gives it a sense of ownership. Reading the manuals and learning to use all of the avionics is really a treat, itā€™s so cool that the IRL manuals work as expected in the sim. Using all of the radio navigation equipment is fun, especially the ADF, which I used for the first time today. Incredible plane+scenery combination, with a tantalizing hint of IRL possibility. MSFS at its best!!

4 Likes

Ibiza gets a 5/5 from me. Didnā€™t even know it had PG!
(didnā€™t see it written anywhere)

1 Like

I think the Australia world update really raised the bar for photogrammetry in MSFS. I havenā€™t seen anywhere in the gameā€™s world that beats the photogrammetry on display there.

4 Likes

I have done a test to see the photogrammetry in two cities, in Sydney, where excellent photogrammetry is seen, and in London, where lately it was hardly possible to fly, although on this flight I have noticed
It seems to be going a little better, but it still needs to be at the level of Australia, in London you can see many melted buildings and it causes me a lot of stuttering, although as I said before it seems that it flies better.

I am going to look around KBOI right now on a low end PC and see how it looks and how stable it is for a low end PC.
Edit: Yep, I say it looks pretty good overall, however, vegetation in the waterways and almost all the bridges missing or underwater needs a bit of tending to. Seemed smooth on a low end PC at 1080.
All in all, I saw no stuttering, however there was minimal traffic at the time I flew.

Canada certainly lowered it

1 Like

There was mention in the latest Asobo Q&A of how they had been supplied with low quality photogrammetry data for London by the company contracted to supply it.
They then spent some time adding to t to try and make it more acceptable.
For this reason it is a high priority of theirs to correct the issue as soon as possible with newer and better data.
They are currently fixing up the bridges in the whole game too.