Best examples of Photogrammetry in MSFS?

The photogrammetry seems to be a bit hit and miss in terms of quality. For example all the cities with photogrammetry in the UK are significantly lower quality than say Venice in Italy, in terms of both resolution and LOD/Pop in issues.

What cities/towns in your opinion have the highest quality photogrammetry ?

2 Likes

Where the sunshine, it help the satellite :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cordoba, Spain, around LEBA. You can never look at photogrammetry too up close, it’s like zooming in on a picture over 200%, but the photogrammetry around there really impressed me.

4 Likes

Good point!! :slight_smile:

Which ties in with….

Yea I’ve found the Spain/Iberia update and also Italy to be consistently the sharpest / cleanest and most detailed as well as being friendlier on performance.

To corroborate that point, the photogrammetry in Australian cities is pretty spot on, too. Plenty of sun down there!

No wonder England is so bad :smiley:
Photography would all have to be done in the 48 minute window of nice weather we get per year

24 Likes

Most PG in the US is very detailed….

2 Likes

Florence in Italy is pretty darn nice as well;

6 Likes

This is true to be fair. I think US cities have better source data at Bing. You can actually read shop signs and adverts etc, which aren’t really visible in other countries.

3 Likes

Just so everybody knows, photogrammetry is not made be satelites. Its made by airplanes flying back and forth above the cities.
But of course they look better if the sun was out when they did it, on the other hand, that means shadows.
So high light overcast must be the best weather. But Idk.
Or I do know, I am a photographer! Haha

I think san franscisco is nice! Looks really clean close up

And the whole costa del sol, around Malaga too!

12 Likes

Are the low level city scapes PG or generated through some other means? IRL, most skyscrapers are bright glass structures that shine like justice. In the sim, they seem to be burned out hulls of some post apocalyptic dystopian sci-if film.

I personally love Chicago. And if you’re in the area, fly up to Milwaukee as well.

For me it is San Francisco. Since I live there I know it very well and can say it is uncanny how realistic it is flying over the city. Every landmark and building is recognizable to me (even my house!)…but it’s a shame it is out of date by several years and recent buildings are missing (e.g. Salesforce tower).

1 Like

which is why the aerial imagery in PG regions is better as well.

I love PG. It is better in some places than others though. Running with rolling cache ON will make it look better over time by reducing pop in and deformed buildings/scenery.

I agree, love pg all around the globe also with rolling cache on and terrain lod 400 objects lod between 10 and 75 when flying in pg area, when flying out of the area lower terrain lod 200 or 300
and up object lod to 200
This is because T and O lod won’t mix very well together and often can create stutter due to what i think priority of loading.
But im just a noob enjoying the sim loving every dish Asobo serve

I’ve seen lots of survey aircraft flying over The Netherlands during the pandemic. So it shouldn’t take long before MS and Asobo will upgrade te now terrible PG in Holland…

1 Like

I live near the city of Bunbury in the south west of Australia - the PG is pretty good.
For my birthday the Mrs got me a leisure flight around the city, and I was able to recreate it entirely in the sim.

1 Like

Personal Comments and Observations

Any of the new Photogrammetry in Australia. It even loads fast and at long viewing distances (no popup, no obvious polygon to recognizable structure transition). Melbourne comes to mind immediately.

5 Likes

When you say new do you mean from the Aussie world update ? or have they added more since ?

Yes, the last Australian World Update - no changes since then.