Best flight planner addon for General Aviation

There is a bewildering amount of addons available for MSFS and I hope some of you can give me some help in narrowing down a list of good GA flight planners for this sim. I will probably never fly big jets and airliners so Navigraph and Simbrief seem like overkill for the small GA flights I like to do, but I would like something with good facsimiles of standard aviation charts and general planning beyond the in-sim world map options. Any ideas?

The first thing that always pops into my mind is Little NavMap. So many features that I still haven’t even found yet, but planning and flight plans, exporting, syncing with MSFS nav database so you have matching airports/procedures, unique measurement tools, terrain data to help you over mountains and such, editable aircraft profiles, etc, etc, etc

6 Likes

Little NavMap is free
Simbrief if you want a little more realism

Simbrief is also free, It’s Navigraph’s Charts and NAVDATA that requires a subscription. You can “make do” using Simbrief without a NAV Subscription but you are limited to an outdated Airac which can cause issues.

By far Little Nav Map, though you gotta make sure that your nav database is the same as the one you’re using in FS, else you’ll have issues with waypoints, procedures, etc.

1 Like

Absolutely! Stunning how full featured it is and the updates keep adding more. Amazing.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for your input. I’ll give Little Navmap a try.

1 Like

yup another one for little navmap

Little Nav Map and Navigraph Charts. Highly recommended both.

LNM is free, is feature-rich, and great for planning and monitoring your flight. Major pluses: it can overlay Google Maps, IFR enroute charts, and US VFR Sectional charts (amongst others). It will also record your aircraft trail, which you can use to critique your technique (and export to Google Earth, keep a record of your travels, etc). Cons: it doesn’t include approach charts (though FAA ones are free from Skyvector, which is another great, free, but non-sim-integrated, tool for planning).

Navigraph Charts is subscription-based, but contains up-to-date nav data (which also is used by LNM), and professional IFR enroute and approach charts by Jeppesen. It is also feature-rich and great for planning, especially when used with the freeware component SimBrief, which generates realistic plans and dispatches. Navigraph charts can also integrate into the G3000 panel and has a module that can pop up in the sim toolbar.

In the end, Navigraph is more professional and integrated, has approach charts, but doesn’t have quite the amount of control over features (not that you’d really need it), whereas LNM is more customizable and flexible
 and free!

I often use both together, but I lean toward Navigraph when I’m flying faster or more advanced aircraft, and LNM for VFR or just on in the background to record what I’m doing.

2 Likes

When flying in the US, SkyVector is pretty much all I need. Navigraph’s VFR maps are pretty good too.

2 Likes

Yet another shout out for LNM. One of MSFS most incredible gifts. The author is also extremely helpful on the forums. It also comes with a comprehensive manual.

1 Like

You can try using this MSFS MAP NG
It is smoother than LNM and Navigraph Chart.And it has terrain display,really cool!

If you want to get GA VFR as real as it gets you can use the real GA navigation tool - SkyDemon, but it’s on the expensive side if you don’t fly IRL. You must use additional tool like xMapsy to connect it to the sim.

2 Likes

Very disappointed that LittleNavMap no longer has US IFR and VFR charts. I understand the host for them no longer exists, but this is a HUGE loss for those of us who use them for reference in making complex plans for custom tours and accompanying notes.

Will have to look at the new Navigraph annotation feature. Would also like Navigraph to implement a trail/breadcrumb feature, which would make it a one-stop shop. Bummed that I have to use several sources now to put these kind of things together.

Skydemon and Navigraph are in the same price class more or less.
Skydemon is a great VFR planning tool and moving map. Especially the vertical radar and for airspace awareness Skydemon is great. Also graphical Notams in the chart are awesome.

If a tool is needed for bth IFR and VFR and Sim only I still would recommend Navigraph. The Jeppesen IFR chart package is worth the price. And the VFR chart is also pretty nice.

VFR planning is easy, Departure DCT Destination :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Navigraph will show you Motorways etc. and traffic patterns for terrestrial navigation, basic but usable. You‘ll find Maximum Elevation Figures as well. Everything you need.

The other option is taking ICAO charts and do it the old school way and create a flight log manually :wink:
https://www.openflightmaps.org/
For German VFR Airport charts https://aip.dfs.de/BasicVFR/pages/C00001.html

Did this just happen? I don’t often use that feature, but I have referred to it at times.

Recently. I’ve seen reports that the service has been shutdown for a few months, but the latest update confirms that they’ve been completely removed from the themes. It’s a huge bummer.