Best Freeware

Having spent way too much in the sales, I am aware of one or two excellent freeware products. Mine are probably obvious, JPL Cessna 152 and the Lake Skipper.
What are yours?
(Hope I’m allowed to start a freeware thread)

4 Likes

Go for it! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Personal Comments and Observations

Well, since you named the 152 Mod, which requires the base 152, then I highly recommend the following MrTommyMxr Mods which greatly improve or even transform the following stock planes:

DA-40NG Improvement Mod
DA-62 Improvement Mod
Cessna JT-A (co-made with DanielLOWG - TD engined 172 blows the shirt and pants off the stock G1000 Skyhawk)

GotGravel’s Vertigo - a PT-6A powered VL-3, yeah it’s as brutishly fast and fun as it sounds.

PMS GTN750 - Marc has a freeware edition, but you’ll be hooked enough to buy a license. I did. Amazing work on an FMS outside of Working Title. And he features integration with some of the most popular payware, freeware and Asobo planes.

JayDee’s GTN750 on others - want Marc’s 750 in your vintage or modern plane? Chances are JayDee has the plugin written for it.

PuffinFlight We Love VFR, all 3 regions now cover the globe.

Henrik’s GAIST World Shipping Traffic

I have more but those come to mind immediately.

9 Likes

Any of the stuff from mamudesigns
Roman Designs GTA and Niagara Falls
Lots of great freeware from NZA
Thalixte being one of the best (If not THE best) at converting cities from The G-Word
List can go on and on

4 Likes

I couldn’t remember the author, but I have all of it installed. Seconded heartily.

2 Likes

FBW A32NX, FSLTL, MSFS Addon Linker (couldn’t sim without it), Little Navmap and many many airport enhancements. Too many to make a list. But Addon Linker is the most important for me. I rarely have ctd’s, because my Community folder is always as empty as possible. And it makes it easier to find the mod that causes problems.

5 Likes

I won’t repeat those already mentioned.

Hands down for me, for helicopter shenanigans is:

Manila Bay Enhancement Project

And Sky4Sim (the free version is super generous, but I paid for Premium shortly after test-driving it!)

One to keep an eye on, if you don’t mind fictional detailing on airports in return for super richly detailed and interesting locations is this:

Project Life Bahamas

The old one (below) still works fine but has a couple of errors that are being redone 1-by-1 in the reboot in the link above: Project Life: Bahamas Megapack for Microsoft Flight Simulator | MSFS

And also fictional but a great thing for STOL fun:

20 Airstrips in the Pyrenees

And 14 more here:

5 Likes

Mamudesigns’ Marinas package makes coastlines and lakes look 1000% better, not just by adding realistic docked boats, but also by covering up the submerged dock photos while doing it.

Also, the Powerlines and Solar Farms add-on is really well done:

These two combined with the three We Love VFR packages do an amazing job of making the world feel more populated.

9 Likes

So many good ones already covered, but I wanted to mention the Stampe SV.4 from Restauravia. It has a really great flight model, looks good and sounds good (if a bit loud!)

I’ve a lot to check out I was totally unaware of…the gift that keeps on giving. Keep it coming, hope it’s of value to the community, sure is to me.

Nice, Brett Plays does a good review.

Thought of another two:
Junkers JU87: Stuka dive bomber : if only to see what it was actually like in a near vertical dive - flies nicely as well.
Fokker dr.1 : the Driedecker, the ‘Red Barons’ plane. I really did like this one. Did a post on this in ‘what did you do in msfs today….number 1446.

Gosh, I wasn’t even thinking of aircraft. This could go on forever!

Just my top 6, excluding the already mentioned C152 which is head and shoulders the best quality freeware, and the Lake Skipper which has the most fun factor, and all the other free Got Friends creations which are all top drawer, but some you may have missed here:

1. JW1 Sky Traveller by TouchingCloud
  2. Whittaker MW6 by Rara Avis Sims
  3. Brown B-2 Air Racer by Sal1800
  4. Weddell-Williams Model 44 also by Sal1800
  5. Royal Aircraft Factory S.E.5 by Fsadni
  6. Nord 3400 by Restauravia

They’re all new to me, have to check em out….how many hours were there in a day last count, could do with a few more.
ps, checked out that Victoria Falls scenery, nice, broke my November pledge sadly.

1 Like

I will not fly the DA62 without this! Search “DA62X” and you’ll find it every time. I can’t verify that it actually flies like the real thing, but it does come pretty close to what I’ve read online. Add to that the fact that copilot visibility from inside the plane is now an option, and you have a fun little hot-rod of a plane that doesn’t leave you feeling lonely on long flights. (Someone, please do this for the TBM!)

By the way, if you’re running a virtual economy addon, consider the DA62 over the Baron for passengers. The Diamond does virtually everything the Baron does, but uses roughly half the fuel.

3 Likes

I thought you were talking about LAST November. You were, right? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Posted about the Junkers 87 on the ‘what did you do in msfs today’ , number 1446. I’d forgotten how good that was as well.

Gotta say, early retirement is great, I’d swear I’m having more fun now than when I was a kid. If I’m not on the sim, I’m on the Oculus golfing, if not on there then the Xbox - just started Hogwarts with my daughter.
Oh well, another play day resumes soon.

4 Likes

Haha. And what were you saying about hours in the day?! :rofl:

Only mildly jealous here :green_heart:

2 Likes

A lot of good stuff to digest here.
I’ll add SimBrief to the list: I fly as the crow flies, so it fascinates me to see the weird and wonderful routes that get set up, but useful for all the codes to replicate.

Toolbar Pushback : integrates with the toolbar in the sim. I think this is very good.