Best Joystick Setup for Helicopters?

With the Modern Combat Grip, and the 200mm extension, the total height (base + 200mm extension + MCG grip) is 478mm (18.82")
Different grips change the height. The MCG is the one I’m going to buy.

As you noted, it has 24 buttons. That’s more than enough. I noted on their site they have under-desk mounts for that. If you plan on getting one, My suggestion would be to order it at the same time, if you can. From what I’ve read in the past, you’ll save on shipping. Don’t know where you are, but their shipping is high at least I found it so to U.S.

1 Like

Thanks Gunny. I would definitely order the under-desk mount at the same time.
The product spec says the mount is “Compatible with the MKIII.”
I’m going to ask in the Discord whether it’s also compatible with the MKIV.
I assume it is, but you know what happens when you assume… :wink:

Happens too often.

Users have reported that the Gunfighter MK IV doesn’t quite work with the current mounting plate. The larger clutches get stuck on one side which can be fixed with a dermal by shaving off a couple mm in one spot. I haven’t seen news of an updated plate being made available yet.

They are currently very busy/focused on STECS orders right now. There are a number of Gunfighter accessories that need to be updated for the MK IV and they have said that those will be made available soon after the STECS insanity dies down a bit.

Once they have the new parts the store pages will be updated to note what is and isn’t compatible.

OK, thanks.
Seems like a pretty easy fix.

Sorry for the delay, I have been knocked sideways by covid for a couple of days.

Gunfighter base and grip together is about 280mm tall, before you add either the 100mm or 200mm extension.
VKB’s desk mount has the gunfighter base sitting inside it, so the dust cover and the top of the gimbal are level with the horizontal part of the mount, and the 55mm height of the base is underneath.

I was not sure about which grip extension to get either, but because I was ordering several parts at the same time and could combine the postage I got them both. The desk mounts are adjustable for height and angle, and the extensions are easy to swap in and out so it gives a lot of flexibility.

It only takes a few minutes with a hex driver to switch from a centrally mounted tall stick for helicopters or warbirds, to a side mounted short stick for airbus, or a central mid-length stick for Diamonds etc.

Yes, the OTA referred to is the Omni Throttle Adapter, which puts the grip at an angle and allows you to lock out the roll axis and have a fore and aft moving throttle axis, but retain the twist function and all the buttons. You can get the OTA for either Gladiator or Gunfighter mounting systems, but I personally feel the latter makes for a very expensive throttle, and I don’t really see the advantages over the Gladiator.

1 Like

Particularly if you are going to be flying the 145 or other helicopters with AFCS. I like flying for an hour or more and not having to touch the cyclic or collective until final approach

1 Like

And if you’re going to be flying the Alouette?

Don’t know anything about it. The only rotary I fly is the 145.

I understand. As I said earlier, I’m looking for controls that will ideally be usable for multiple applications, and multiple aircraft.

My eyes skipped over the Covid. Apparently that thing is like the flu, it returns if your defenses are down.
So, according to those measurements, with the under-desk the collective grip should be at the comfortable level as I visualize it.

Well, actually I do also fly the Osprey, just not as often as I should.

I was on a tourist flight a few days before, which is probably where I picked up the virus. Felt very rough for a few days but am slowly improving now.

I couldn’t say for sure of course as all desks / chairs / people are different, but with my VKB mounts attached to the desk I have always been able to mount either the Gladiator or Gunfighter sticks in a way that felt natural, and was not an uncomfortable stretch up or down. The mounts themselves do have some adjustability at the top and bottom, but I have never had an issue with either joystick or when using the extensions on the Gunfighter.

If the Gladiator feels natural and comfortable in standard setup on the mount then I think it should be fine with the OTA adapter, as your hand will be at about the same height still, just a different angle. VKB have a YT video on their site which details setting it up, and it shows Gladiators with and without the OTA alongside one another, for comparison.

I just might get two desk mounts, that’s only $265 incl. shipping. That would clear a lot of desk space to re-arrange my monitors. I have 5 total and will add one more when I get my expected Xmas gift cards from my descendants. :grin:

1 Like

Update. After some research I came on these at Amazon. Only $70 for the pair. Very solid and stable.
DESK MOUNTS 1

3 Likes

That looks good! Having the joystick mounted solidly makes a big difference compared to sliding and wobbling around on a desk or on your lap.

I use a thustmaster warthog throttle and joystick and turtle beach “rudder” but the best thing I bought that helps in 100mm extension tube for the joystick and have it mounted between my thighs. Take a look at the video I’m a slow learner but perseverance is the key you will get there🤞