Better performance on high settings than medium

I’ve had my laptop for about 3 months now and MSFS for about 2 months. I’ve always set it on the recommended setting of medium except for the clouds set at ultra. But I found out today that I get better performance using the high setting with clouds still set at ultra. I’m not complaining at all. I’m just wondering why.

My system :
Intel i5-9300H
8 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM
256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650
Linksys - AC1750 Dual-Band Wi-Fi Router (This router rocks)

Any clue?

Have you checked that other metrics from you laptop is constant or are the same as per previous scenario. Things like windows updates, other application updates, configurations, application startup, uninstalled applications, etc.

Have a blessed evening

It could be many things. Perhaps previously your laptop throttled the CPU a lot (they get very hot with FS2020 using turbo boost) causing worse performance than being GPU limited at higher settings.

Some things are actually less work for the CPU at higher settings. Less work simplifying the incoming data for the GPU.

My bad. Some of the settings take effect only after restarting the sim. Yeah my system can’t handle high settings lol. I’ll delete this post shortly.

You might be able to set some things higher until you’re GPU limited. The main performance impact is terrain detail level (draw distance). RAM is also an issue which you’ll quickly run out of at higher terrain detail levels.