Bing Map Color Correction

Still LOTS of lime green grass and agricultural fields in MSFS 2020.

I thought Asobo was going to do something about their Bing Map Color Correction that they applied to the Bing Maps data in early 2021. MSFS 2020 looked way better in 2020 before Asobo applied the color correction.

Has this been talked about lately. It still looks terrible, and I would think Asobo would remove the color correction altogether and return to 2020 colors, if nothing else. Flying in a world of lime orchards is a real immersion killer, and itā€™s of Asoboā€™s own making.

Hopefully, this is still on Asoboā€™s radar to fix.

5 Likes

Earth is 196.9 million miĀ² square miles. Do you know how big that is? What Asobo has done so far is fantastic!! I dont know who its been talked about with lately! Must be the critics you donā€™t know how big the world either. So if this post is bait to say how good g maps is ā€¦ donā€™t color correction should be way way down on the ā€œfixā€ list in fact I hope they dont mess with it.

4 Likes

I wish they introduce some instrument of color corrections of ground textures to SDK, something like manipulating RGB offsets of texture tiles. This would up open up possibilities for modders to improve some local (so no need to mess with places where textures are actually very good and not need to cover all 196.9 million sq. miles :grinning:) texture coloring (some places textures are just acidic colors) and also make possible to make seasonal coloring be a peace of cake.

2 Likes

Do you not remember how the MSFS 2020 Bing Map looked prior to color correction being applied in early 2021? I wasnā€™t comparing the Bing Map to the Google Map. I am comparing the Bing Map without Asobo color correction to the Asobo color correction of the Bing Map. I am comparing to how the Bing Map used to look in MSFS 2020 when it was released in 2020. It looked great!

If you donā€™t like it and you think itā€™s the applied color correction turn Color correction off in the usercfg. Google helps.
Agree with popping green areas, yet these are failures that are so wrong in coloration that they maybe overshoot the applied correction. Yet if they would run an smarter algorithm over the planet they could search and correct specific color ranges seperately.
Donā€™t forget wrong color calibration on monitors and windows adjusting colors to the taste of the massesā€¦ popping colours. I had to turn that down, and it helped with the allover experience. Search for ā€œDigital Vibranceā€ in Nvidia settings.
The question is further why does flightsim has to do Bing Maps work? Why didnā€™t they correct these years ago. IMO the teams of Bing Maps arenā€™t equipped well enough or they arenā€™t interested in improving much. Who knowā€™sā€¦

1 Like

Actually I would prefer them to add all the missing tiles first. There are many areas in Central Europe with autogenerated ground tiles mixed in everywhere. Also in France and Greece and surely other areas as well, there are only blurred grey blobs over every military airport or installation. I m aware that some of that is due to the respective countries, however in GoogleMaps many of those places have normal satelite imagery.

2 Likes

Thanks for this tip! I didnā€™t know I could do anything with the color in the usercfg.opt file. I just turned ColorGrading off (set to 0), so Iā€™ll see how it looks! :grinning:

1 Like

Still a lot of GREEN Roads too !!

4 Likes

Wowā€¦no more lime green agricultural fields! Thanks for this! I have no idea why Asobo would change the real world color of the Bing Map images, but they did. Now everything is back to normal and how MSFS 2020 looked when they released it in 2020ā€¦realistic!

Cheers!

2 Likes

I have not messed with changing ColorGrading in the cfg file, and it is set to 0 already ?

are you talking about ā€˜ā€˜ColorGradingā€™ā€™ in the ā€˜ā€˜PostProcessā€™ā€™ section?

1 Like

Youā€™re right, and even with ColorGrading set to ā€œ0ā€ (zero) they are still there. But whatā€™s weird, is that I flew over Stockholm last night, and the roads were green, but the overpasses on major highways were asphalt color as they should be. So there may be something more than ColorGrading going on here.

But at least I havenā€™t seen any more lime cellophane green agricultural fields since setting ColorGrading to ā€œ0ā€

Maybe someone more expert on this subject can offer an explanation.

FYI Bijan Seasons mod includes an optional ā€œterrain maskā€ feature that lets you apply color filters to the whole terrain in varying levels of opacity. If you increase it too high there can be detail loss on the terrain, but I apply 30% brown in the winter seasons and it makes a big improvement to the colours in the UK.

1 Like

Yes, i did.

1 Like

Thanks for this tip, yet itā€™s only a temporal fix and i doubt that itā€™s a ā€œone setting fits all situationsā€ mod. Not to forget that if seasons are implemented this pay mod is uselessā€¦

In my subjective experience streets sometimes messed up in Bing Maps itself, too, just look it up next time. Google and Bing Maps are very mixed bags when it comes to quality, flying in South america or Asia at lower altitudes is sometimes pretty disappointing, and here we are talking of big areas missing textures not only suitable coloration. Pretty sure some governments have much better cards then Google or Bingā€¦ :blue_heart:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.