Bing maps update for Xbox users

There will be any update for bing maps for us Xbox users ? It’s noticeable the outdated data. PC users have their ways to bypass this but for us Xbox users, any news or hope? For me it’s immersion killer.

Thanks

World Updates include updated imagery for those specific regions, but I believe that’s the only time they update it unfortunately, and sometimes it comes with worse imagery quality if that’s what was available at the time. Maybe there will be widespread imagery updates for MSFS2024, but I don’t feel confident in saying that.

World updates do not include aerial ground photos, those are always streamed from Bing.
I don’t think there is a way to use a different source on XBox.

Yes they do. The imagery comes from bing maps, but they have to add it manually, which is why you can go on Bing Maps right now and see more up-to-date imagery in some locations than the sim itself has. I’ll pick a random few World Updates and take direct quotes, but I’m pretty sure every single WU has included updated imagery for their regions:

WU7
“Updated aerial imagery for Australia”

WU10
“The Microsoft team built this USA update using the latest high-resolution satellite and aerial imagery and coupled it with the most recent digital elevation modeling data available.”

WU12
“The Microsoft Flight Simulator team brought together the latest geographic data to create World Update XII: New Zealand, including satellite imagery, aerial photography, and digital elevation models.”

2 Likes

At least here in Brazil we have a very outdated data. Roads under construction when actually those roads are already getting maintenance lol

It varies according the region. Some places are better than others but we can see this in a whole world

1 Like

This question was asked on a past Dev Stream, which maybe won’t be the answer you are looking for but goes over what the team does to update the world currently in MSFS 2020. Of course for MSFS 2024 if you scroll to the bottom of this FAQ article you will see a small glimpse how they plan on tackling it.

Why do we have outdated Bing Maps?

Jorg - It depends on what do you mean with ‘Bing Maps’. There are 3 things, TIN cities, Areal, DEM data.

3D cities: We are congruent with what they have. There are some cities that we have that are on Flight Sim and not on Bing map and vice versa. There will be a time when Bing will have some cities that we don’t have yet on Flight Sim, and some work will need to be done to those cities to work in MSFS (tree removal/Watermask/Color correction).

On the DEM side, Bing team need is not necessarily the same as our. Therefore, we are building this new team now on the Flight Sim side. Also, Bing map is 2.5D, we are 3D and some extra work needs to be done.

Yeah, as mentioned by Jummivana, it depends on what you mean…
What do you see in an area covered by a world update if you disable the online features completely and empty the cache?

I’m not understanding what you’re trying to say.

I am saying this: USA have received multiple World Updates. If you disable the data completely and fly in this area of the US, do you get this rendering quality and detail of the terrain?

The answer is no. Bing maps are always streamed.

I mean, yeah. Of course that data gets streamed to us. And when World Updates come out, updated satellite imagery from those regions gets streamed to us.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.