Bing's Streetside new areas not represented in-game

I have noticed that my city has been photographed on Bing’s Streetside recently, which is what BlackShark AI uses to recreate the accurate 3D buildings. These new pictures are dated from 2020, however the 3D buildings are still default. Are these new areas going to be updated someday? Is there a roadmap of the increase of Streedside areas supported in the game?

Thanks

I may be wrong on this but while Bing map tiles are used it’s not Bing maps directly. Color matching and other bits are added to the scenery in MSFS and are streamed from different servers.

It may take some time for the updated scenery to be updated.

2 Likes

I don’t believe it uses street level so much as multiple angles of sat images to develop what we see, Streetside incorporation would be next level graphics.

Hey @fibergran, and welcome back to the forums. I remember a comment from one of the Dev streams quite some time ago that new Bing and Streetside imagery will eventually make it’s way into the sim. I have never seen a roadmap, and I am not sure that would be public information. Others may chime in here if they have more information.

Now that you are back, take some time to read the Forum Guide where you can read about features available to help you as you use the forums. Again, welcome back.

I have not heard that Blackshark.AI uses anything other than aerial photography and OpenStreetMap. If it does use other sources, great! But that would be news to me. (That would require another level of AI. Bing streetside photos are geocoded to addresses, but it might be a heavy computational lift to correlate the building(s) in each photo with the proper buildings in the aerial photos.)

With that said, new Bing data is not ingested automatically when it is updated. It is a highly-manual process requiring a lot of touching up. Maybe several years down the line there may be a refined process that requires significantly less manual intervention, but we’re not there yet.

1 Like

That’s right. About 2-3 years ago, I updated shape of my building home in OpenStreetMap, with the height of the roof, lateral annexes, etc. In Flightsimulator, Blackshark team reflected in their AI the way I specified in Openstreetmap. On the other hand, building texture that Blackshark algorithm play on luck was far from reality, but that’s another matter.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.