Bit overreaction here for something you need to squint at to see the difference

I just realized it no longer says “Set your experience” at the top of the screen when you start up now.

I worked for a major Electronic Company for 25 years.
Every year we were at the consumer electronic show in Las Vegas.
I Think is was in 1992 we set up a row of regular TV’s none HD
Right below we set up a row of HD TV’s
We tried to find out how people would take to the new HD TV’s
So we had an advertising agency take a survey asking people which TV’s they liked better.
The report came back 49% vs 51% it always is in the eyes of the beholder.

4 Likes

This topic has devolved into “it looks bad” “no it doesn’t”. I would suggest the mods start cherry picking constructive comments and merging them into existing threads.

Sorry but in a topic starting with “you need to squint at to see the difference” I believe there is not that much that can be saved.

1 Like

From what I gather in these forums, you probably won’t notice the degradation on low end systems like yours.

ahahah, “low end system”.

It’s a medium system at the least, with a Ryzen 3700x 32gb ram. I also use VR, where the differences are also less apparent atm due the tech limitations of VR headsets (unless you’re silly enough to buy a Primax I guess).

Granted I fly at 1080P locked to 30fps but that is actually the sweet spot for MSFS in its current state.
I can also bump the resolution up to ~140 if I need to, but 100 is actually fine.

In fact, so called “Top End” systems are in the minority, the majority of people still run high end medium to low end systems @ 1080P or 1440. See RSI Public Telemetry for some info on this, as one example. 1080P is also still widely used for many reasons → https://www.gamingscan.com/best-resolution-for-gaming/ . 4K and 8K gaming are most definitely in the minority still atm, especially so with the price gouging over the latest 3x (and AMD equiv) series of GPU’s, not to mention the screen costs.
1440 is the next most reasonable step up, but VR is still quite low rez by comparison even with the latest mid-range headsets.

Having a “top end system” (all to often a waste of money as well, I buy for best price/performance ratio) is no guarantee you will get top end performance, and that goes with many games nowdays. Star Citizen and ED Odyssey are two that immediately come to mind, and I have good/bad experience with both those as well.

If you want to smash a square peg into a round hole don’t blame me if it doesn’t work.

People need to adjust their expectations to the pace of the sim development, and use the best sweet spot, not hit all settings to ultra double max super hi rez 4K/8K and then complain it doesn’t work for various reasons. Just because you spent $5K+ on a 4K/8K system doesn’t mean you can always use it, no matter how much you complain.

Just find where it works best and start flying more, instead of complaining so much. It’ll progress in good time.

3 Likes

On your machine maybe…but starting threads to antagonize folk seeing more of an impact on their machine does nothing to “help” them.

Are you here to help?

2 Likes

Therapy won’t bring back the visuals lost in SU5, nor will name calling.

Do have any other contributions that may help users experiencing the LOD / panning / other graphical issues?

4 Likes

I think many people found that it worked best before SU5, do you have any suggestions as to how we get back to that state of the sim?

1 Like

I think this thread is going nowhere, is certainly not helping anyone, the title is perceived as inflammatory and the discussion gets more and more personal. Would not mind to have this thread closed.

4 Likes

The technical solutions to troubleshooting CTD’s and tweaking the visuals have been posted many times.
What’s the point of doing it again if people don’t want to try and/or listen, but just complain more?

I’m having the same experience in VR as many others, many of whom are fine with it yet others are pouring out vitriol over it. I’d rather fly thanks.

I rest my case.

1 Like

I Agree. It seems that most of the salty folks are the ones who spend a ridiculous amount of money building or upgrading their system. Some probably even paid the scalper prices of 3080s and 3090s. Like you said, the High End sector is VERY low when it comes to userbase of “gamers”. Steam Hardware & Software Survey The current TOP end 3080/3090 crowd makes up under 1.5% of the userbase on avg.
The problem is that if you’ve been in the flight sim community long enough, these type of posts have been around for decades. People have always tried to compensate sim performance with the latest and greatest hardware only to find that there is a point of diminishing returns. Then coming to their prominent forums and crying about it. Been happening for as long as I can remember.

You can’t put the resources that MS and Asobo has put towards this sim and try to only please the 1.5% of top spec owners or even the very niche Flight Sim market (it’s not a very big market comparatively). It’s a business, not charity. People seem to forget that.
If you don’t like the perceived changes, then don’t use it. It’s your choice after all. Go use a different flight sim product…and then we can talk about “graphic degradation” lol.

1 Like

You know the vast majority still run at 1080p & then into 1440P, right?

1 Like

Bingo! (not fuel bingo, bingo bingo!)

Brilliant post

1 Like

It seems you forget that we are not speaking of something promised but not real…instead we are speaking of an overall graphic quality that was real till the last update and that was there for almost one year. So, yes for some people is a downgrade. They should simply allow for better settings for people that can appreciate them, I don’t understand what’s the problem for people that instead are having no issues. You should be happy and spend your time playing instead of diminish the issues of the others.

2 Likes

Bravo, people on medium / low settings don’t notice a change with their GA’s at 2000 feet.
Stop saying there is no degredation or weird color grading happening if you never ran the sim remotely close to ultra.

I rest my case, and this thread is muted.

1 Like

I run on high/ultra tyvm. Looks and runs fine.

1 Like

It is still beautiful, yes, I agree…but it is definitely not like before in terms of colour, saturation, definition of soil and objects

I use a custom reshade preset for that, just as I’ve been doing the last 6 months.
Granted doesn’t work in VR (not yet anyway) but it’s great to tweak beyond what MSFS can do anyway.

Borrowed from Reasons for using ReShade, attempt to use its shaders instead of some MSFS2020 effects - #13 by FijiPilot and adjusted a little to taste. I’m not a fan of the ultra sharp graphics settings as they can introduce weird artifacts, which is why I’ve settled on the mid strength as a base.

Cinematic MSFS2020 v2 (mid sharp).ini Here:
PreprocessorDefinitions=
Techniques=ContrastAdaptiveSharpen@CAS.fx,RetroTint@RetroTint.fx,Curves@Curves.fx,prod80_02_Cinetools_LUT@PD80_02_Cinetools_LUT.fx,Tint@Sepia.fx,MXAO@qUINT_mxao.fx
TechniqueSorting=ContrastAdaptiveSharpen@CAS.fx,RetroTint@RetroTint.fx,Curves@Curves.fx,prod80_02_Cinetools_LUT@PD80_02_Cinetools_LUT.fx,Tint@Sepia.fx,MXAO@qUINT_mxao.fx,ADOF@qUINT_dof.fx,AdvancedCRT@CRT.fx,After@Splitscreen.fx,ASCII@ASCII.fx,AspectRatioComposition@AspectRatioComposition.fx,Before@Splitscreen.fx,Bloom@qUINT_bloom.fx,Border@Border.fx,CA@ChromaticAberration.fx,Cartoon@Cartoon.fx,ColorfulPoster@ColorfulPoster.fx,ColorIsolation@ColorIsolation.fx,ColorMatrix@ColorMatrix.fx,Comic@Comic.fx,Daltonize@Daltonize.fx,Deband@Deband.fx,Debanding@qUINT_deband.fx,DELC_Sharpen@qUINT_sharp.fx,DisplayDepth@DisplayDepth.fx,DPX@DPX.fx,FilmGrain@FilmGrain.fx,FXAA@FXAA.fx,HDR@FakeHDR.fx,HotsamplingHelper@HotsamplingHelper.fx,Layer@Layer.fx,Levels@Levels.fx,LiftGammaGain@LiftGammaGain.fx,Lightroom@qUINT_lightroom.fx,LumaSharpen@LumaSharpen.fx,LUT@LUT.fx,MeshEdges@MeshEdges.fx,Monochrome@Monochrome.fx,MultiTonePoster@MultiTonePoster.fx,Nostalgia@Nostalgia.fx,pd80_02_Bonus_LUT_pack@PD80_02_Bonus_LUT_pack.fx,prod80_01A_RT_Correct_Contrast@PD80_01A_RT_Correct_Contrast.fx,prod80_01B_RT_Correct_Color@PD80_01B_RT_Correct_Color.fx,prod80_01_Color_Gamut@PD80_01_Color_Gamut.fx,prod80_02_Bloom@PD80_02_Bloom.fx,prod80_02_LUT_Creator@PD80_02_LUT_Creator.fx,prod80_03_Color_Space_Curves@PD80_03_Color_Space_Curves.fx,prod80_03_CurvedLevels@PD80_03_Curved_Levels.fx,prod80_03_FilmicTonemap@PD80_03_Filmic_Adaptation.fx,prod80_03_Levels@PD80_03_Levels.fx,prod80_03_Shadows_Midtones_Highlights@PD80_03_Shadows_Midtones_Highlights.fx,prod80_04_Black_and_White@PD80_04_BlacknWhite.fx,prod80_04_ColorBalance@PD80_04_Color_Balance.fx,prod80_04_ColorGradient@PD80_04_Color_Gradients.fx,prod80_04_ColorIsolation@PD80_04_Color_Isolation.fx,prod80_04_ColorTemperature@PD80_04_Color_Temperature.fx,prod80_04_ContrastBrightnessSaturation@PD80_04_Contrast_Brightness_Saturation.fx,prod80_04_Magical_Rectangle@PD80_04_Magical_Rectangle.fx,prod80_04_Saturation_Limiter@PD80_04_Saturation_Limit.fx,prod80_04_SelectiveColor@PD80_04_Selective_Color.fx,prod80_04_SelectiveColor_v2@PD80_04_Selective_Color_v2.fx,prod80_04_Technicolor@PD80_04_Technicolor.fx,prod80_05_LumaSharpen@PD80_05_Sharpening.fx,prod80_06_ChromaticAberration@PD80_06_Chromatic_Aberration.fx,prod80_06_Depth_Slicer@PD80_06_Depth_Slicer.fx,prod80_06_FilmGrain@PD80_06_Film_Grain.fx,prod80_06_LumaFade_End@PD80_06_Luma_Fade.fx,prod80_06_LumaFade_Start@PD80_06_Luma_Fade.fx,prod80_06_Posterize_Pixelate@PD80_06_Posterize_Pixelate.fx,RemoveTint@RemoveTint.fx,SMAA@SMAA.fx,SSR@qUINT_ssr.fx,Technicolor@Technicolor.fx,Technicolor2@Technicolor2.fx,Tonemap@Tonemap.fx,UIMask_Bottom@UIMask.fx,UIMask_Top@UIMask.fx,Vibrance@Vibrance.fx,Vignette@Vignette.fx

[CAS.fx]
Contrast=0.500000
Sharpening=0.500000

[Curves.fx]
Contrast=0.082000
Formula=4
Mode=0

[PD80_02_Cinetools_LUT.fx]
dither_strength=1.000000
enable_dither=1
ib=0.000000,0.000000,0.000000
ig=1.000000