BlackBox BN-2 problems

BN-2 Islander.
I rather foolishly purchased the aircraft through the Marketplace and have had a few problems.

Problems:-
Graphic issue. The prop spinners in external view look terrible. They look like they’re vibrating very badly and about to explode. A real immersion killer.

Control issue. The trim, prop, mixture controls keep altering of their own accord. Mostly after returning from hitting tab and going into the settings to adjust something. occasionally
at other times.

Cockpit views. The different views don’t respond to the usual key bindings. I can get to them through the camera button on the top onscreen menu but I like to use the keyboard. Am I doing something wrong? I suppose I can remap the keys.

This is the first 3rd party aircraft I have used so far.
If anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful.

Thanks

The prop spinner issue apparently is a sim problem, it’s also affects the PMDG DC-6. I think they mentioned the sim is applying motion blur to the rotating parts and that’s what is a making it look like it’s shaking all over the place.

The control issue is also another ongoing sim problem, there have been various problems with all planes when going into the menu screen and back. I haven’t seen this happen with this plane just while flying.

Don’t know about the cockpit views, I just use TrackIR and a couple of custom zoomed-in views so don’t know anything beyond that.

2 Likes

Thanks for the response ClydeFJ. Although not a solution it does tell me what I need to know.

I feel like I’ve been right royally shafted with this purchase. Bought from the in game Marketplace and no chance of a refund apparently.

I’d stick with it, it’s a really nice plane and hopefully the MSFS issues affecting it will get corrected. There’s a huge thread here where you can probably get some help with your view problem:

4 Likes

Except that as @ClydeFJ said, the problems you list are issues with many if not all planes. It’s an Asobo issue.

It’s possible that the issue from coming back from pause (Esc key, unless you remapped it), is from Asobo, rather than remembering the state of the airplane, applies the *.flt defaults file related to the current or another flight mode. Why they have separate defaults files for taxi and approach and cruise and so on in the first place is beyond me.

I don’t have the BN2, but I have had the Esc key issue with a couple of other planes, (not BBS models, though I do have the L-19).

I don’t know about the default cameras file with the BN2, but I haven’t seen anyone else complain about it, and that’s a common complaint about many 3rd party planes. I don’t know about the BN2 or BBS, but in general I have no idea why developers don’t know how to set these files up properly, it’s not like it’s hard or there’s a lack of examples of proper views or camera.cfg files, and it’s described in the SDK I’m pretty sure. I’ll admit I haven’t looked into how to properly set keybindings for views, but I’ve done other editing around it.

1 Like

I did complain and I remember 2 other people complaining in BN2 thread. I have no idea why developers do that. It took me about 30 minutes of investigating config files to figure it out myself and set it up to work with default key bindings for setting up your custom cameras. I posted the solution in the thread, but I do not think it was taken onboard. I ended up having my own camera file that I keep in different location and overwrite the one that the plane ships with after each update.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies folks. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

It’s a real pig but I guess I have no choice but to put the plane in the hanger and leave it there until such time as Asobo put the sim right.

As far as I’m concerned buying through the marketplace was a waste of time, electricity and money.

2 Likes

I’m not a huge fan of the Marketplace. They don’t even record what you purchased, so all they will give you is credits if there’s a problem. That’s a huge issue to me. Not to mention they don’t allow any signs of weapons. Not that I care about the weapons so much, but, developers aren’t so constrained when selling products outside the Marketplace.

What you do get is, as long as nothing has gone wrong with your licensing, etc., you do get immediate access to install products from the Marketplace on XBox (I’m assuming here). But, I have no plans to purchase an XBox at this time.

Not every marketplace product will necessarily be available on the XB - console support is an option but it’s up to the developers whether they go down that route or not.

2 Likes

BN-2 from the marketplace causes CTD, after checking the blackbox forum, there still doesn’t seem to be a solution

As yet, that hasn’t happened to me.

As Clyde FJ suggested, I’ll persevere with it for now as I don’t seem to have a choice although I suspect that once the Aerosoft Twotter is released I’ll be flying that exclusively. Hopefully I’ll be able to buy it without going through the in game Marketplace.

I have been simming for decades now and in the past the tinkering and tweaking was quite enjoyable. These days, as I get older, all I want to do is fly without the faff of trying to find out what has gone wrong.

3 Likes

Aerosoft always releases direct on their site too, that’s where I bought the CRJ and all their P3D stuff, so I don’t see why the Twotter would be any different.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying the spinner issue. It has been bugging me on the BN2 and also affects Ozwookie’s Grumman Goose.

1 Like

That instrument doesn’t work on my xbox series s.
I trieded soo many times… i can’t switch on… allways off. Any one have The same insue?

That’s the DME, in the picture you’ve posted it looks like it is actually turned on but not receiving any distance data.

I’ve found the DME doesn’t work (no display at all) on a few liveries. Potentially an issue with one of the panel colours used?

Wainting for a update on xbox…

I think it’s always worthwhile (if possible) to buy direct from the 3rd party. An account records purchase, developer provides better support and updates are managed far better. Plus there’s relationship building with the 3rd party. All for consideration IMO.

I fully agree. I think Nemeth are the only ones I refuse to buy directly from. Cause their support doesn’t exist.

2 Likes

please name liveries it work / fails on ?