Blackbox Simulations Islander Won't Start?

I can’t seem to get the engines to start from cold and dark. The starter doesn’t engage.

This also happens if I start the simulator ready on a runway and I shutdown. I can’t restart.

Anyone else have this issue?

1 Like

Most common causes are not turning red and green overhead fuel cocks on, and not checking the static elements on the clipboard (right door pocket). As you say that it also happens on the runway though, you probably have not turned the external power switch (down with generators etc) to “on”. That needs to be set for all starts regardless of whether you actually use a ground power unit or not.

4 Likes

The clipboard was it, thanks!

2 Likes

Wow! They haven’t fixed this yet? Thank you cdsolo, just picked this aircraft up and couldn’t figure out why it wasn’t starting; it was due to the external power switch being in the down position (which their manual tells you to do).

Thank you.

No problem, but what do you mean exactly? What’s to fix? The manual does tell you to flick the switch up for “on”. Or did you just look at the photo without reading the text below it?

1 Like

There’s nothing to fix, that’s how you start the real airplane

There MUST be a fix, because the engines are starting immediatly when the switch is set to external, despite of the fact that i dont use the starter switch in the overhead.
And this is not like the real plane.

Also check fuel level.

From the BRITTEN-NORMAN ISLANDER A.R.B. APPROVED FLIGHT MANUAL FMI7

Part of the PRE-STARTING CHECKS (INTERNAL)

There is another section where they are dealing with the unfeathering an engine (re-starting an engine in flight where there can be no external supply) and the proceedure has:

8. Select External Supplies switch    EXTERNAL SUPPLY

The after the engine has started:

15. Select External Supplies switch   OFF/STARTER ISOL

I take this to mean that if you want to start the engine the External Supply switch needs to be in the External Supply position or as the switch Tool-tips have it External Power set to On then after the engine has started External Power set to Off.

Safe flying, sPK

PS - It’s a little academic as there are lots of other problems and the have not been attended to yet but I live in hope the will be :slightly_smiling_face: