Blank screen when entering VR for WMR

When I enter VR mode I just get a blank screen. Per the FAQ, I’ve entered it via the following steps:

1. Open WMR
  2. Start MSFS
  3. Press ctrl+tab to enter VR mode

At that point, WMR appears to be entering an app (it does the animation as such). But this just goes to a blank screen. Meanwhile, MSFS shows the dual eye view as if VR is running, but the headset doesn’t manipulate the view in any way.

Then when I press ctrl+tab again to exit VR, MSFS crashes. Every time. I’ve repeated these steps multiple times.

Note that I have a laptop with dual GPUs. This behavior is very similar to when I try to view WebXR videos in a web browser. If I don’t have dual GPU support enabled in Chrome or Edge, the videos just show a black screen. So I’m a bit suspicious that MSFS isn’t handling the dual GPUs correctly, but when I contact tech support I just get a canned e-mail with a link to the FAQ (especially frustrating since the crash is so easily reproducible).

I have the same problem, and I have 1 gpu. Its not just you.

I have the same issue described to a T…right down to the side issue with WebXR that the OP suspects may have an OpenXR corollary (I had to go into edge://flags to enable WebXR Multi GPU Support in order to get WebXR to work).

This is with a Reverb G2 on a Surface Book 3 with the dGPU (GTX 1660 Ti with Max-Q Design).

I was able to get it to work by installing SteamVR and setting SteamVR as the OpenXR runtime:

SteamVR->Settings->Developer->Set SteamVR as OpenXR Runtime

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.