Blue screen windows 11

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

no

Brief description of the issue:

When I have been using the sim for a long time, I often get the blue screen of death from windows. I have everything updated, windows, drivers etc.
It happens to someone else?

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Blue Screens are typically hardware or driver related and not application bugs.

Applications would typically crash to desktop.

3 Likes

Topic moved into Community Support.

Blue screen should give you the reason why it faulted.

Hello @madriles22769,

As @XR219 noted above, Blue Screens – especially ones the re-occur frequently – are almost always an indication of a hardware problem, such as a faulty RAM module or defective power supply.

I had BSOD problems lately due to old bios. After update all ok

As others said check your computer, BSOD won’t likely occur because of the sim, it’s more a symptom of something else being critically wrong.

For me this may be a hint on three scenarios:

1. Your RAM or VRAM may have defect sectors - as the sim pushes many stuff into your RAM this faulty sectors will cause critical errors leading the OS to crash. You can check at least your RAM using the free memtest86 tool using USB (will take some hours to run a full test).

2. A faulty SSD which is used when windows starts paging stuff that doesn’t fit into RAM (faulty sectors too)

3. Something is overhearing, watch your temps to see if something goes way up while simming. Probably some overheat alert functions are disabled in bios/not properly working (had that issue with a failing CPU watercooling pump last summer, games went unplayable and then just BOSD happened)

It could be also driver related, but as the issues start after a long time my bet would be on either RAM or temps…

1 Like

Don’t know what a long time is.
I never have gotten a blue screen of death from Windows 11.
I never run Win 11 or FS2020 beyond one day.

Always shutdown every night.

I would just point out that blue screens can be software driven, and not just hardware. For example, I have a computer at work that will bluescreen if I plug as USB memory stick in to it. It works for all other things, like cameras, speakers, even my iPhone. But a USB key will kill it within a few seconds. Something in the OS is either corrupted, or more likely it was another software package installed that it is conflicting with, as it did have some Microsoft USB driver development software installed.

Another example. Try to boot a Windows OS with the BIOS configured for AHCI, but the OS being booted doesn’t support that. Instant blue screen. Switch the BIOS to “Legacy” or find a way to install the AHCI drivers, an the OS boots. Nothing wrong with the hardware there.

So its situational, for sure. If the machine blue screens with only MSFS, that would be something, but if it blue screens with anything, then it certainly could be overheating, or maybe a too aggressive overclock of CPU or more likely memory that is leading to instability outside of idle temperatures, and conditions.

You may well be aware - and W11 may be different in this respect - but shutting down under W10 is essentially the same as hibernating unless you have switched off the fast start option.

Restart is what gives you a totally fresh boot.

3 Likes

Your Windows 11 may have a corruption, even if you update. Check this process out:
use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system-files

Arguable a memory stick is hardware, just a plug and play version of it.

1 Like

Thats correct, its a hardware storage device, not software.

1 Like

True, but I’m certain a rebuild of the computer will fix it, I’m just not in a position to do that. I’m reasonably certain its a driver issue, something left behind by the development kit.

I’ve also seen Check Point FDE software blue screen computers. It’s not done that in a while, but a few years back it happened fairly often, sometimes during an upgrade, others during a decrypt. Their software has improved significantly over the years though.

I just remembered one supper weird one, a long time ago. Anyone remember the game Divinity 2: Ego Draconis? Early on in the game you get to fight you way through a wooded valley. There is a small tower there, with a ceiling hatch to its roof. I could play through that whole area, back to front, but if I clicked on the hatch on the top most floor of that tower, my computer would bluesceen. I have no idea why, but a later patch resolved that if memory serves.

My point is hardware isn’t the only cause, though it certainly could be in this case.

If CPU, and memory temps are okay, I would find some benchmarking software to stress test the hardware, maybe leave it running for enough cycles to cover several hours. It might only occur when certain memory cells are written to, for instance.

I solved the BSOD problem by temporarily (during MSFS startup) turning off the Firewall and Auto-Containment protection in Comodo Personal Firewal (it wasn’t enough to just enable communication and add an exception to containment).

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Foe me, I noticed that it goes BSOD after wakeup from sleep mode when MSFS is running. Sometimes, it is when entering my user NIP on returning from sleep mode. It never did it if MSFS is not running when going to sleep mode…

This is not a best practice for most applications let alone MSFS. The sim is a complex animal and to expect it to come back to life and resume after sleep mode is probably not realistic.