Boeing 787-10 / 747-8 : Autopilot LOC mode not working after SimUpdate 8

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

no

Brief description of the issue:

In both the Boeing 787-10 Dreamliner and the Boeing 747-8 Intercontinental , autopilot LOC mode is not being engaged after clicking the LOC button. Other autopilot modes (incl. following heading mode) seem to be working. A workaround is to click over and over and over again the LOC button in the cockpit until LOC mode is engaged; from them on it works flawlessly.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

(none)

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

• In World Map, create a VFR or IFR flight (with departure + arrival airport) with the Boeing 787-10 or Boeing 747-8. Start the flight.
  • Lift off the plane.
  • In the cockpit, click on AP to engage autopilot.
  • Click on LOC/FAC. This should engange autpilot LOC mode, but it doesnā€™t. The PFD still shows ā€œHDG HOLDā€ although when pressing LOC/FAC, ā€œLOCā€ flashes briefly below; also the heading indicator (compass) on the HUD briefly flashes from GPS to VOR1 display.
  • Click on LOC/FAC repeatedly. You need to time it in a very specific manner. When youā€™re lucky, the PDF eventually shows ā€œLOCā€ and LOC mode is properly engaged.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

(none)

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

1.23.12.0 (sim-update 8)

In the other planes, ā€œLOCā€ / ā€œNAVā€ mode seems to be working, as far as I have tested it.

I expect LOC mode to be engaged immediately and properly when clicking the LOC button in the Boeing 787-10 / Boeing 747-8 without having to click repeatedly and rely on luck. This used to work perfectly well before SimUpdate 8.

@Asobo: please fix or revert the SimUpdate ASAP.

LOC is an approach mode. It will lock on to the ILS signal and give you lateral guidance to the runway, but it will not lock onto the glideslope.
It will not operate to follow a flightplan route as it requires an ILS signal.
To get the plane to follow the route, you need to enable ā€œNavā€.

Why that worked before, I have no idea, but it was dead wrong.

1 Like

TheSevenflyer, thank you. Iā€™m glad that the problem is on my end then. I would not have found my mistake without your reply.

I tested again with the LNAV button and it is indeed following the flight plan then.

However, I am positive that before SimUpdate 8, this used to work with the LOC button as well (erroneously, as you say correctly); furthermore, as I described above, the former erroneous behavior can still be achieved by clicking the LOC button repeatedly. I suppose that this is an actual bug then.

1 Like

No problem, glad to have helped.
I would say it is indeed a bug.
Good flights!

1 Like

Could you be clicking LOC ā€˜out of boundsā€™. Be within the LOC direction Ā± 30Ā° and within range. When the diamond turns full pink you are (for sure) in range ā€¦

Hey @TheSevenflyer,

Sorry, could you be helping me once more? Now I got the opposite problem: When I fly with an IFR flight plan, I cannot activate the ILS approch anymore. When I fly in LNAV mode, I would have expected to be able to switch to LOC, then APPR mode when inbound on the dest. airport simply by clicking these cockpit buttons. This is how it worked pre-SimUpdate 8: It switched to ILS mode when clicking on APPR.

Do I need to manually configure the flight computer with the ILS frequency even in an IFR flight? I thought ā€œLOC/APPR modeā€ was prepared already when starting an IFR flight with a pre-configured ILS approach.

In fact, the PFD doesnā€™t show any ILS / GS information even when clearly in range of the beacon. On a VFR flight, there is no such problem: I use LNAV now for following the ā€œstraight GPS lineā€ and then configure the ILS frequency manually to follow the ILS course / glideslope.

So my question is: When I use LNAV to follow the route of an IFR flight, how do I change it to follow the IFR course / glideslope?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask. Please feel free to point me to another place where such question would be appropriate.

You donā€™t need to use LOC at all, you just use ā€œAPPā€.
What you need to do, is to make sure in DEP ARR there is an arrival runway, and ensure the ILS frequency is entered in NAV RAD in the ILS section near the bottom right.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. I just landed successfully with the ILS in an IFR flight.

As you suggested, I checked the NAV RAD section of the MDCU computer. By default (having set an ILS approach before starting an IFR flight), it read ā€œ[]/ILS 28Rā€. With that configuration, the ILS signal was not picked up by the plane. Thus, I manually entered the respective ILS frequency, after which it read ā€œ111.7/ILS 28Rā€. Immediately after entering it, the PFD display showed ILS information, and APP worked.

Thank you very much for your help.

Itā€™s very unfortunate, though, that this means I will have to manually look up and enter ILS frequency information for IFR flights even if I select an ILS approach on the World Map; I would have expected MSFS to complete ILS configuration by default that way, and I am fairly certain this used to be the case before SimUpdate 8.

But again, thank you.

2 Likes

I am surprised as well.
I donā€™t fly it very much, and I donā€™t recall either.
I would have thought it should have picked it up though!

Use Little Nav Map, it is an excellent tool for finding frequencies and a lot more.

1 Like

Thanks. Iā€™ll give Little Navmap a try!

Iā€™ll probably open up another thread and/or file an actual ZenDesk bug report for the issue with the IFR flight plan not properly configuring the planeā€™s navigation computer since this is a problem separate from the one I opened this thread with.

Happy flying to you!

2 Likes

I am sorry, this wrong. Real life pilots activate the LOC mode first to capture the localizer, then when they are sure they are on it, they activate the APP mode (approach) that guides the aircraft with both localizer (lateral) and glide slope (vertical), which means the LOC mode IS necessary.
And like my colleague, I noticed this LOC mode does not workā€¦