Boeing 787 All variants - MCP dials (ie: Heading & Altitude) require further refinement

Not sure whether this request will be handled by Asobo/MS or WT/Horizon/Kuro.

I did raise this issue with devs at Horizon on Discord (Toby C) who responded that “we can’t edit cockpit click spots, arrows, etc etc”.

My request is this:

currently, on the B787 EFIS several of the dials can be manipulated by your mouse to turn either clockwise or anti-clockwise and provides an animated arrow signifying which direction you are engaging. This is extremely helpful/efficient and speedy.

However, on the MCP, the only dial that allows this is the Speed Bug dial.

The Heading and Altitude bugs do not allow it, which is extremely inconvenient. So at present, you can only engage either dial with the quick arrow in an anti-clockwise direction. Any chance we can have this rectified in a not so distant future update?

Much appreciated.

PS:: PMDG and other 3rd party devs already have this feature incorporated into the MCP and other dials on their respective aircraft.

I’m going off memory here, but I don’t think the issue is there is no clockwise direction, I think the issue is that the click spot to find it is just maddeningly tiny. It’s on the “right side” of the knobs, and I think the viewing angle from the pilot seat blocks it almost completely. That’s why going counterclockwise is much easier. The “left side” of the knob is facing you.

These tiny click spots also make rolling the mouse wheel an exercise in frustration because if I move slightly off the spot, I start zooming instead.

1 Like

They definitely can improve the click spots as other devs have achieved this - it’s the “will” to do it.

PMDG’s products are all capable of this and have done so for years now…

1 Like

Could that post help ?:

If I’m reading the post correctly, it seems the OP was concerned about the aircraft not holding it’s heading and vnav issues.

My 787 is functioning fine, albeit some of the important dials do not allow for speedy clockwise movement. You are forced to mouse scroll (painfully slow and inefficient) to achieve clockwise movement. However, you can left click & hold left mouse button for speedy anti-clockwise movement.

Moved to User Support Hub Aircraft & Systems in case some users can provide a solution or workaround to that issue.

[I’m speaking strictly from the perspective of using the add-on 787s and NOT the Asobo version]

One can actually “increase” the appearance (and subsequent usability) of the click-spot on the HDG knob by repositioning your viewpoint within the cockpit with the right and left arrow keys.

I agree that they are small, but using the centered camera view and moving your viewpoint may help you out.

I did try this, but it is very finicky indeed.

It doesn’t need to be this difficult - the devs can implement a better system for the dials - that is absolutely certain.

In an otherwise very nice aircraft, from a flying perspective, the dial controls being updated in a manner consistent with other 3rd party devs and their aircraft would only “add-value”.

I haven’t noticed this problem. Then again I use Lock mode on PC and you can easily adjust both directions with the mousewheel.

I will say that the Minimums knob is very hard to find and turn on the 787.

That said, my solution is a Stream Deck + for just about every knob in every plane I fly, though understand it’s not in everyone’s interest/budget.

Can you elaborate on that for me please? I’m not familiar with “lock mode”.

There are two interaction modes. Lock mode and Legacy mode. Legacy mode has those little arrows that has been mentioned. Lock mode is where the interaction area turns blue and has special ways for clicking and mousewheel. I believe it’s under General settings but if I’m mistaken others will correct me.

Lock mode is designed for controllers, but I find it pretty easy to use on PC. Once you learn the unusual click method required.

As mentioned by mdapol, it can be found under general options\accessibility:

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. Unfortunately, no other addon aircraft I possess require this change.

The programming required to make this change is considerably small in terms of hours to achieve.

Can’t any of the devs do this?

I mean, all that is required is to look at how PMDG achieve this simple but effective method.

Unfortunately, it is definitely not a few hours of work to achieve this. Modern software development requires much more than just coding. There’s an entire process that has to be followed. Asking the devs to prioritize this one thing over software bugs that have been waiting in the queue for months or even years seems unreasonable to me.

Again, thanks for the info.

Just refer them to PMDG and their cockpit interaction.

More than half the work on the 787 is already completed in terms of cockpit interaction.

Ergo, the time to address this issue is significantly small. I can speak from experience…

How is your focus mode setup ?:

thanks again for your patience/assistance.

The overriding/overarching issue at hand is this: should I have to make any further adjustments to my settings (to accommodate the B787) when in point of fact, all the other aircraft I regularly fly do not?

At present, I fly the PMDG 737-700 & the Fenix A320. Neither of which require any further adjustments. I will also include several default GA aircraft into this category also.

This issue is only apparent for the B787 (irrespective of whether it is the 787-8, 9, or 10).

The few suggestions offered thus far have not had any positive effect at all.

The solution is simple: allow Working Title, Kuro or Horizon to access this information and make the proper adjustments. It would be more efficient than waiting on Asobo/MS.

The B787 is shaping up to be a truly great product. It just requires some further fine adjustments which in programming terms are relatively short and sweet. This is not a bug per se. Just an “overlook” by the devs.

At the risk of suggesting something you’ve already done, have you ensured Lens Correction is off, so you don’t also have the long standing “misplaced click spot” bug?

I find that I need to make “accommodations” with every aircraft I fly. No aircraft is perfectly set up for anyone’s particular setup so making accommodations is part of the hobby. It’s not really a big deal. However if you feel you shouldn’t have to make any then it’s good you have plenty of other aircraft to keep yourself busy.