Boeing 787 autopilot not working at all

Brief description of the issue:
The 787 autopilot does not work. It appears engaged, but has no control over the aircraft.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

1. In the world view screen, I select my departure and destination airports and select high-altitude, I also select the appropriate SIDs/STARs.
  2. In the aircraft, the FMC appears programmed correctly, with all the legs and their respective speeds and altitudes pre-entered. I manually fill in any remaining info (eg Dep airport, GPS position, reserve fuel etc.).
  3. I then set the heading, V2 speed, and altitude as directed by ATC.
  4. After pushback, I engage LNAV and VNAV and turn the Flight Director on.
  5. On the runway I throttle up to 60% N1, then hit TOGA.
  6. After reaching 1500 ft, I engage the autopilot.
  7. And nothing happens, even though the AP light is on.

The only thing that seems to be controlled by the AP is speed.

Neither LNAV or VNAV are working and the autopilot is not controlling the plane longitudinally or vertically. I have to control the plane manually, but if my inputs are a little aggressive, the autopilot disengage sound will start and AP will disengage. Switching autopilot back on again does nothing.

Completely broken.

There are actually a few basic steps to take first to get to the bottom of the issue.
These quite often solve the issue, and need to be done anyway, should further troubleshooting be required.

Here they are:

With the sim running, if you are on the start up screen, from the top heading, select “Options”, or if you are already in the sim, press “ESC” on the keyboard.

• Under “General”
    Set “Flight Model” to “Modern”, not “Legacy”.
  • Under “Assists”
    Set all “Piloting” assists to “Off”
  • When you are in the sim, from the “winged” sim icon, Open AI Control (icon to the right of the yoke icon), and ensure that “Control Aircraft” is “Off” (button placed to the left).

Next, and quite important, is to add deadzones to each axis for all your controllers. Approximately 5% should be enough, but there have been instances where significantly more was needed.

Do not assume, even if you know how you had these already set, ensure they are this way now.
The last few updates did change some user settings.

When you get all this done, and if you’ve still got the problem, let us know.

3 Likes

I checked all of these settings. They are as advised.

I managed to fix the issue during that flight by randomly disconnecting and engaging the AP, LNAV, VNAV, heading hold and vertical speed. Just randomly pressing them all. Finally turning them all off.

Then I hit the AP disengage, returned it to its regular position, then hit the LNAV, VNAV, and AP buttons. Then it worked.

I tried that last part alone on a previous flight but it didn’t work. Seems like randomly pressing everything and then turning them off triggers some sort of reset.

There is some funky stuff going on with a lot of the default autopilots, so it probably isn’t a great deal more you can do than that. I think you may see that “cured” in this next update.

I read a post yesterday, and it triggered some thoughts.
Try emptying your Rolling Cache.
If that doesn’t solve it, try deleting the 787 from the content manager then shut down the sim.
Restart the sim and install the 787 from the content manager.

hello,

when i hit NAV the plane (747-8i) does not allined correctly with the path of the flight.

it goes like zigzag.

hope you fix it, thanks.

Read up four posts and do as recommended.
Let us know how you make out.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.