Boeing FA-18: No afterburner

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
no

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons? If the issue still occurs with no mods and add-ons, please continue to report your issue. If not, please move this post to the Community Support section.
Empty Community File folder

Which aircraft are you reporting an issue about? (Please also add the proper tag for it)
Boeing FA-18 Super Hornet

Which aircraft version are you experiencing this issue on? (You can find this listed in the Content Manager under the Aircraft Name)
Standard

Brief description of the issue:
The afterburner doesn’t work. Only with an assigned keyboard command. I´m not the only one with this issue.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:
no

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:
Just fly the Hornet an give full throttle.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:
no

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:
1.36.2.0 After the latest update.

You can also assign a button on a joystick. The real F18 requires a button press.

Not sure if this is a bug or more likely a specific setup for that aircraft:

And as @TheBlackWind977 mentioned, if in the real one AB is triggered by a button then actual behaviour is correct.

It’s a bit tricky to implement properly perhaps. The real one is a detent activated by a button that keeps the pilot from just knocking it into AB. Gov’t mandated fuel savings? lol

1 Like

Thank you all for your input. Then this behaviour is assumend as normal.

You made it up. There is no button in real F/A-18 to engage afterburner.

I did not.

Now the OP will have to believe what he wants! Life on the internet goes on.

Maybe the button is to unlock the course of the throttle lever ? So that it can go up to AB position.

@OrcaHaken675929: look at that wish, maybe this is what you are looking for:

I use an Xbox controller with the throttle up/down assigned to buttons Y/B respectively. For me it’s simple as pressing and holding Y on the controller until the throttle reaches the max non-afterburner position, then release and press hold again to engage the afterburner. The afterburner section of throw is variable as well, so simply tapping to engage it doesn’t give full afterburner.

I would go as far as saying: there are no FA-18‘s IRL. Deep State made them up, to lull us into a false sense of security.
:rofl:

No it doesn’t.

The real F-18 requires has finger-lifts on each throttle but…

1. They only have an effect while on the ground.

2. Afterburner can still be selected on the ground if a particular amount of force is applied to the throttle.

Asobo’s implementation of an afterburner button isn’t remotely like reality.

1 Like

Yes, you did. Finger-lifts are used to unlock throttles moving forward from MIL position, but it can be achieved by pushing throttles with more force. I have a physical detent on my throttle, I should not need some magical button to engage AB.

1 Like

I second what beardy said. I have over 500 hrs in the dcs fa-18c. I’ve read the NATOPS manual cover to cover. It works as he has described. There is no button. It’s finger lifts and they only work on the ground with the hook extended or the launch bar extended. It’s only there to keep you from torching flight deck personnel on the carrier. Having to push a button to go into burner with WOW is not reality.

I didn’t make it up. Just Google it. Occasionally Google is wrong. Either way, you still push a button.

Please describe the location of this button then.

I’m just going off Google. I already described it above.

The obvious way to incorporate that into a FS is with a button. I find it hilarous that people took it so literally. Almost as funny as just assuming I made it up. I probably learned 20 yrs ago Google was better than just making things up lol