Bonanza G36 Gas Gauge not Linear

Do you have any add-ons in your Community folder? If yes, please remove and retest before posting.
no
Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
no
Brief description of the issue:
gas gauge is not working
Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

PC specs for those who want to assist (if not entered in your profile)

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

Are you on the Steam or Microsoft Store version?
MS Store
Did you submit this to Zendesk? If so, what is your ticket #?

The in sim Bonanza has 40 gal tanks, the gauge only reads up to 30 gal, so the needles won’t move until below that. You can even see in your screenshot that the L arrow has moved just ever so slightly at 29.44 gal.

I fly the Bonanza quite a lot. When fueling up unless you actually tweak it per tank they both fill to the same value.
It uses fuel per tank though, so if you are flying you will see one tank empty first.
(The fuel tank switch is down on the left, near the seat, under your left leg)

You can also see the fuel use per tank in the right screen. (Just to the left of the moving map)

1 Like

IRL pilots only use the fuel gauge in an airplane as a reference. The key is knowing how much fuel you use per hour per engine, how long you’ve been in the air, and how much longer until you reach your destination. As we fly the elapsed time and passing waypoints in the time estimated are the key variables. The fuel gauges in GA aircraft are not precision instruments, there is no compensation for fuel density or temperature. They are good at telling you about where you are but the time and distance is the heart of the equation.

3 Likes

IRL the fuel level senders are just resistors. With tank full it measures max resistance. If it’s not linear need to buy better resistors.
I agree it’s only a reference.
I was commenting on the sim bonanza.

Doesn’t the G36 have inner and outer fuel sending units? The outer unit deals with the first half of the tank while the inner sender deals with the “bottom” or second half of the tank.

If that’s the case and they’re just modeling the inboard set of senders the levels (displayed) are going to be wonky, I’d think. :slight_smile:

It’s even simpler than that, they just have the fuel gauge modeled to display a max of 30 Gal per tank, so flying at full tanks of 40 Gal it takes a while before the gauge starts to move.

Isn’t that what I just wrote…that they’re just modeling the inboard sending units? :slight_smile:

the levels aren’t wonky though, once below 30 gals they decrease linearly with fuel flow.

1 Like

There is also a problem that if you use the Tool Bar and fill fuel to 100% (even if unlimited fuel is OFF in options) the fuel gauge does not reflect the usage of fuel, although the tool bar Load quantities show the usage of fuel during flight.

1 Like

100% fuel is 40 US Gal in the tank, the gauge only displays 30 US Gal so you have to run cruise power on one tank for about an hour before the gauge will move.

Thank you, I did not know that!!

Hi @meh1951,
As per @Raynen, does not seem to be a bug be more likely the expected behaviour of the gauge for this aircraft:

Moved to User Support Hub since as per above posts, does not seems to be a bug but rather the normal gauge behavior for that aircraft.

IRL the fuel level senders are just resistors. With tank full it measures max resistance. If it’s not linear need to buy better resistors.
I agree it’s only a reference.