Bought the Bleriot XI

…and set things up to fly the English channel at 4:15 am on July 25th. First try was marred by a ■■■■■■ take off (it accelerates painfully slowly and is a challenge to get unstuck). Then off I went on the second attempt. It took seemingly forever to fly away from the French coast and with a slight wind pushing me east was tricky to keep course. I felt quite alone and not sure I’d make it.

Ever so slowly the English coast came nearer and I eventually made a landfall (literally) a bit further in than the Bleriot monument near Dover Castle, in a clear field. I had struggled to gain height from the 250 feet or so on the crossing, to clear the gap in the cliffs near Dover. OK, I face planted it, a bit more than Bleriot did.

It was a surprisingly moving experience, one I can highly recommend. :smiley:

Bleriot XI for MSFS

8 Likes

This thing is so fun!

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m having a ball with mine. They were quite a popular kit with the r/c crowd, but usually have an unrealistically powerful engine fitted and often forego wing warping and just use rudder and elevator. Tootling around with a well modelled 25 hp engine in this sim is really fascinating. I plan to try it out in lots of different places.

2 Likes

The Anzani RIP Blériot XI is one challenging and super fun ride, I love it! I can’t wait for the Vega, that will surely be a bar setting, utterly amazing, must have MSFS addon. P.S. I really wish the Wing42 Team included a Gnome RIP version of the Blériot XI.

1 Like

Love it a nice addon and a nice change. Not had the RIP in the air yet.

1 Like

Reading this again made me think, what if we had a Vickers Vimy in MSFS? Alcock and Brown were the first to fly the Atlantic. Boy, what a challenge to replicate what they went through getting there in 1919…

unnamed

4 Likes

Oh, you are in for a treat. The Anzani RIP version is without a doubt my favorite of the three versions.

A Vickers Vimy would be great! I’d also love an Airco DH.2. I think the DH.2 would be a real hoot in MSFS 2020. Any of the planes from that time period, from Vickers, Airco, Sopwith Aviation Company, Royal Aircraft Factory, Blériot, Nieuport, Fokker, Albatros-Flugzeugwerke, Curtiss Aeroplane and Motor Company, Société Pour L’Aviation et ses Dérivés, Halberstädter Flugzeugwerke, Gothaer Waggonfabrik or any other such manufacturer, would be a whole lot of fun to play with in MSFS 2020.

1 Like

Have had the RIP in the air and have flown the channel 30 min over the channel.

Can anyone here check something out for me? I recently bought this aircraft and on the two anzani versions, there is a 177% percent overload by default thst is not present in the gnome version. The documentation does not mention this as a part of flight model. I cannot to if this is an anomaly or intentional part of the aircraft design. All all aircraft seem to spawn with 50 0ercent fuel regardless… unless the user bumps it up to 100%. The cargo/pilot load is variable depending on aircraft but I’ve never had one load in with an overload.
The module has 3 different manuals but no where is this mentioned as a concession to the limitations of the sim etc. Where they have deviated or had to work within the limitations of the program, the authors have pointed it out. I want to fly the aircrsft as the creators intended, but I can’t tell what that is. I’m wondering if a new msfs update messed it a bit.

Great! Next challenge: crossing the Alps Chavez style. Go from Maron to Domodossala through the Simplon Pass.
Check put the route (and aviation history) here:
http://www.jorgechavezdartnell.com/english/en_travesia_lahazana.html

2 Likes

Hi, Sorry for the late response.
The MSFS flight model has some limitations, especially when it comes to things like weight distribution and we tried to work around the problem by introducing some additional payload stations.
It is indeed normal to fly the Anzani variant “overweight”. My suggestion is that you leave all the payload as it is and just top up your fuel if you so desire.
All aircraft spawn with 50% fuel in all tanks - no clue why, it’s just a MSFS thing as far as I can tell.

There will be a new version of the Bleriot available in a few days and one thing we added was some verbose naming for the helper-payload stations. Hopefully that’ll clear things up a bit. What is “station_2” in v.1.03 of the add-on will become “Engine (don’t change!)” :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

When will it come to marketplace?

That’s up to Microsoft at this point. I hope that it’ll become available with the next rollout. :crossed_fingers:

Just bought the plane because it has a 50% discount. Great modeling job. Flew it across the Channel in 37 minutes or so and set it down nice and smooth on a glider strip near Dover. No crashes so far and much more useful than I thought! Gnome version though. The RIP version has 60NM of range so I’m below my safety minimum for an alternate before I even took off lol.

1 Like

I love it!
But i wonder, i have 2 versions of the Azani variant. What are the differences? It is advertised as having only 2 versions. I am confused.

There’s the regular version, and the RIP version (not the thumbnails). The RIP version is more accurate, but a lot harder to fly (or even keep in the air) :wink:

Read the included manual as well.

Oh wow that guy Louis Bleriot must have been either crazy or steaming with self-esteem and thinking that he can swim the rest of the trip when something happens :smiley:
One strong gust of wind and his journey the the English coast would have been over.

These early age fliers were absolute brave heroes sitting inside these self-build vehicles and flying over water.

1 Like

I replicated that flight with the weather preset suggestions from the manual, and yes, can confirm, the man was insane :smiley:

1 Like